Chapter 26

Warning: long ass chapter that contains mature topic, strong language, and sex scenes.

Chapter 26

Mirae

It was 7 PM when I got inside my apartment and there I saw Sheryl, all dressed in her casual T-Shirt and denim jeans. She looks like she's about to leave but when she saw the look in my face, she dropped her backpack on the couch and then she ran towards me, giving me the tightest and warmest hug.

"Oh no, Mirae," she says, rubbing my hair. "Honey, what happened? Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Eli and I had our first huge fight," I say and I heard the way my own voice trembled. Sheryl let me cry for the first few minutes and when I was ready to talk, I told her everything that's happened. I told her about how I felt with Eli's mom and how it's obvious that she doesn't want me for her son.

I told her everything.

"You know, I really can't believe that I'm gonna say this," a harsh sigh escapes through her nose as she keeps on stroking my head. I'm seated on the couch, she's sitting on the armrest and my head was resting on her lap.

Another sigh escapes from her. "Dammit, I might offend my ancestors to what I'm going to say but I'm gonna say it anyway." She begins.

She looked at me in the eyes and said, "You can't take it against Eli if he's doing everything in his power to help you. You're his girlfriend, he loves you, and he doesn't want to see you upset so maybe, no matter how stupid and idiotic it was to ask his parents to sponsor for your scholarship without asking you first, he did it because he wants you to be able to continue your studies... he did that because he wants you to be happy."

I pucker my trembling lips as another batch of fresh tears, warning to fall. "Yes, I do realize that now. Oh my God," I sobbed. "Dapat hindi ko siya pinagsalitaan nang gano'n. Dapat nag-explain ako nang maayos." I cry. But I can't help it. My emotions took over.

"Mirae, what you felt is valid, too. Matapobre ang nanay niya! Kahit naman ako ano, kung matapobre ang nanay ni Adrian ay mas gusto ko pang magbenta ng sampaguita sa daan kaysa tanggapin ang tulong niya."

"Hindi ko pa kasi nasasabi kay Eli ang tungkol sa nararamdaman ko sa mommy niya. I don't want to offend or hurt him. Nanay niya 'yon, eh."

"Pero ipinatanggol ka pa rin niya kanina kahit na sinermunan siya ng nanay niya in French! Aminin mo, ang haba ng hair mo!" She said, jabbing her index finger on my cheek, making me smile through my tears.

"How am I going to talk to him, Sheryl?" I ask, pouting because I don't know what to do.

"Aba! Siya dapat ang unang mag reach out sa'yo. Hinayaan ka kaya niya umuwi mag-isa! Hashtag never forget, hashtag never again."

"Because that's what I told him," I say.

She rolled her eyes. "That doesn't mean that you meant it! Dapat gets niya na 'yun! Paki sabi sa jowa mo pag nagkabati na kayo na ang bobo niya sa part na 'yun," she said, flipping her hair.

Natawa na alang ako at napailing.

"Anyway," she says. "I just remembered my Yaya's son!" She suddenly exclaims, her eyes growing wide.

"He got a full scholarship in Amherst University! He's smart, like you, and he also stated how he wants to pursue his studies despite how difficult their situation is and then bam, the University gave him a full scholarship, pati plane tickets sinagot nila!"

"Bakit, saan ba 'yung Amherst?"

"Massachusetts."

"That's... that's too far." I say.