Part 1

"Y/N?" You heard a soft voice calling out to you, making your eyes slowly open. "Are you awake?" The voice asked again.

"Irina?" You asked, your voice barely above a whisper, as if you haven't been speaking for years. Your throat was dry and your eyes felt heavy. On top of that, you were freezing. Still, you opened your eyes and looked at the blonde woman smiling down at you.

"You're fine." She said, moving your hair out of your face.

"What's going on?" You asked her."Why do you look older?" You started panicking at the sight of the unknown room, but you felt restraints on your arms and legs, holding you back from doing anything."Let me go!"

"Calm down!" Her soft voice was replaced by her harsh tone. You wanted to scream, but you didn't trust your own voice to do so. You remembered everything, the memories flashing before your eyes as if it happened yesterday. You just celebrated your seventeenth birthday, when you were kidnapped by a group of men, dragged into their vehicle before they injected you with something. When you woke up again, it was in a dark room, tied to a chair, and multiple machines around you. When they attached something to your head, you remembered it was painful and felt as if everything you remembered, everything you knew, was gone and replaced by numbness and cold.

"You have a mission." Irina told you before injecting something in your neck, making you calm down. Then, she called someone into the room and you could hear a pair of heavy footsteps making their way in. "We're going to need to erase her memories again. I think she started remembering."

"I'll tell them." A deep voice said, but you didn't know who it was. Your eyes felt heavy again and, despite you trying to fight it off and stay awake, you couldn't.

"What year is it?" You asked Irina during your last moments of being awake. You remembered it was 1945 when you were taken.

She looked as if she was thinking of whether she should tell you, or not. Then, she spoke. "It's 1970."

You closed your eyes, unable to even think of expressing any emotion. The last thing that came to your mind was the coldness of the cell you were frozen in and you prayed you wouldn't have to experience it again. But, your prayer wasn't answered. After that, you spent years being frozen, only being taken out once they needed you for a mission. Until he happened.

Capitol Hill, 2002

"Y/N Y/L/N." You stood up, tugging at the chains around your wrists that were digging into your skin painfully, and then looked at the man that was supposed to decide what your fate is going to be."You're guilty of following crimes: mass murder, organized crime, assault and battery, murder, fraud, terrorism, theft, arson and mutilation. The court sentences you to a life sentence in jail... " The man continued talking, but you couldn't hear anymore. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath.

It felt like you were standing there for the whole eternity. Two police officers tugged on your arms to get you to walk. You snapped out of your trance, realizing everything was over. Your attorney approached you, placing her hand on your arm. "Y/N..." She started, but you didn't listen to her.

2012

You let out a breath, turning one more page of your book and taking a sip of your coffee.

"It's your birthday today, isn't it?" The woman in the cell next to yours asked. "You're 28 today."

You smiled. "Technically, I'm 84." You replied, taking another sip and turning another page.

"Technically, " Annie was quick to correct you, "You were 18 when you were sentenced. Those years you spent frozen don't count, Y/N."

"Y/N Y/L/N." An unknown voice stirred you out of your thoughts. You looked at the figure that came out of the shadow, seeing a tall man dressed in black, wearing an eye patch over his eye.

"And you are?" You asked, not interested at all.

"My name is Nick Fury. Director of SHIELD. And I have a mission for you."