Part 9

It was late at night. You kept tossing and turning around in bed, unable to close your eyes at all, let alone sleep. Letting out an exhausted sigh, you sat up in bed and looked out the window. Knowing there was no way you would be able to sleep tonight, you stood up from bed and opened your closet.

You changed out of your sleeping shorts and top into your workout gear. Then, you left the room and stepped into the kitchen to get yourself some water.

"Boo!" You heard a voice behind you. Completely unbothered, you turned around and faced Tony, whose eyebrows furrowed. "I didn't scare you?"

"Please." You scoffed. "I heard you coming from three rooms away."

"You're impossible." Tony said, letting out an annoyed breath. "What are you doing up at this time?"

"I couldn't sleep." You replied. "What are you doing?"

"I can't sleep either. Are you going somewhere?"

"I was planning on training, since I have nothing else to do." You said.

"You could... or... "

"Or?" You raised an eyebrow.

"I'm working on another suit in my lab, and I know you're interested in seeing that process. You could join me, you know... " He scratched the back of his head, looking unsure. You smiled.

"I'd like to."

"Really?"

"Yeah, lead the way." You said, following him to the lab. He typed in the password before the door slid open, allowing you two to come in.

"You can take a seat there." Tony gestured at the chair behind his desk, where the monitor was displaying some pictures of his suit."That's the blueprint. That's how the suit is going to look in the end."

"Right." You said."You don't mind the fact I'm here?"

"Why would I?"

"I don't mean here here. I mean... in the place where you live, around your friends and everything."

Tony looked up at you, placing a screwdriver on the side. "You shouldn't listen to Steve. What he thinks of you... it's not what the rest of us think. He can't accept the fact Hydra basically still exists."

"I know." You said, avoiding looking him and turning your gaze to the monitor instead.

"Ignore him. He'll come around eventually. He never trusts anyone. Hell, Steve and I still don't see eye to eye on certain things and I'm sure he doesn't fully trust me either."

"That's different."

"It's not. He doesn't know me much longer than he knows you. Just... it's not you, Y/N. It's Steve. Don't worry yourself about him. Wanna come and help me?"

You smiled, standing up from the chair and approaching Tony. "What do I need to do?"

He handed you a part of the suit. You turned it around, looking confused."Your hands are smaller. You're gonna need to reach in through this."He pointed at the chest hole in the suit. "And carefully place it inside. Alright? Keyword: carefully."

"Got it." You said, doing exactly as he said as he watched you. "Is that okay?"

"Hm?" He asked, snapping out of his trance and quickly looking away from your face before you could notice anything. "Yeah, that's perfect. Thank you."

"What's that for?"

Tony smiled. "That's the place for my arc reactor." He saw your confused face and smiled. "I'm sure you're confused by all of this. You're not used to this."

You nodded. "I'm trying my best to adjust, but it's hard."

"Do you ever miss that time? Your family?" Tony asked, looking at the picture of Howard, Maria and himself he had on his desk, finding himself smiling for a moment. Then, he looked at you and his eyes slightly widened. "Shit. I'm sorry." He blurted out, realizing how insensitive he sounded. "You don't have to answer that."

"No, it's fine." You said. "I don't remember much. I know I had a little sister. That's everything I can remember. I can't remember my parents' faces, their names or anything else about them."

Tony looked like he was in thought. Then, after a couple moments of silence, he spoke up. "I have your file. We could look for your family."

"Really?" You asked. "I... " You took a deep breath, trying to keep any of your emotions from showing. "I would like that."

"Alright. Let me just... " He wiped his hands off and slid back behind the monitor in his chair. "Jarvis, find Y/N's file."

You made your way behind the desk and stood behind Tony as your file appeared on the screen. He gestured at another chair for you to sit, which you did, not moving your eyes off the screen.

"This is just basic information about you. Let me-" He clicked on another thing and something new appeared on monitor, asking for some type of password. "Considering it's a SHIELD file, we need higher level of clearance for this."

"Oh." You tried your best not to sound disappointed. You were about to get up and leave. "It's fine."

Tony smirked, pulling out a card from the drawer. "Which I have."

"... Is that Fury's?"

Tony shrugged. "You could say I borrowed it." He said as he typed in the code and the file opened again, in dozens of windows. "Found it."

"What does it say?" You asked, your gaze scanning over all the informations Tony was already reading.

"Your father's name is not there. But, it looks like it was deleted from the file." Tony replied.

"Do you think you can find it out?"

Tony shook his head. "No. But, there is the name of your mother and sister."

"My mother?" You asked.

"Yes. It says, her name is Irina."

Your blood ran cold. "What did you say?"

Tony nodded. "Yes. Dr. Irina Vasilieva."

You abruptly stood up from your chair, memories flashing in your brain one after another. Tony looked at you in question.

"Y/N? Is something wrong?"

"I - I-"

"Hey-"

"I need to go." You mumbled out before rushing out of the lab and into the elevator. You held your breath until you reached your room. After closing the door, you sank down to the floor and leaned your forehead against your knees.

The same woman who had a great part in torturing you, picking your brain apart and playing with your memories, using them to torment you and, in the result, not being able to tell what was real and what was not, the same woman who made you fought other soldiers and sent you on countless missions, after which she stitched you up and cleaned your wounds, the same woman who had the heart to keep you frozen all those years, who made you trust her, only to use that trust to her advantage... was your mother.