5 • Mask

The meeting between people is a one in seven billion chance of happening.

In the past, Song Lisa didn't take it seriously and thought the statement was pretentious, but now he has fully experienced the insignificance and helplessness of the number one in seven billion.

She didn't know the name of the man named Jungkook , nor what he looked like. She had only seen his eyes and eyebrows behind the black mask.

That's all.

Their fate was so shallow that she might not even recognize him if they passed each other on the street one day.

She hid her disappointment and used a prepared statement to interview Luo Taehyung. She had a certain understanding of the background and would not be exposed.

At first she wondered if Jungkook was Luo Taehyung, but when she heard his voice, she was sure that he was not.

Luo Taehyung misunderstood her inattention as nervousness and said with a smile, "Are you a new reporter?"

"No." Song Lisa concealed her panic and said, "...I have never interviewed a soldier before."

"Don't be nervous, I'm not a scary person."

Song Lisa smiled shyly and asked, "I saw in Shen Jennie 's interview that you encountered an explosion when you were evacuating overseas Chinese and saved a female compatriot?"

"Well. She got on a car with a bomb by mistake..."

Song Lisa was still not giving up and asked if there were any similar thrilling incidents related to explosions in their team.

Luo Taehyung said no more.

Jungkook is not on their team.

The drive back to Liangcheng takes more than four hours.

In the morning, cars were coming and going on the highway. Song Lisa drove quietly, occasionally giving way and overtaking in an orderly manner.

On both sides of the road, green rice fields and blue river water stretch out in a line, and the summer sunshine is overwhelming.

She felt that she would never meet him again.

It was twelve o'clock in the afternoon when Song Lisa returned to Liangcheng. She was hungry and tired, and the sun almost made her faint. It was a rare weekend to have a good rest, but she drove for more than eight hours.

She leaned back in her chair in a daze, thinking about what she had done that night, how absurd and futile it was.

She was out of her mind.

Just as she was about to get off the car, her stepmother Yang Huilun called and asked her to go home for lunch.

Driving around the Municipal Archives Bureau's family compound, the sycamore trees shaded the sky. There was an olive tree in the middle, and Song Lisa looked back for a second. There had been plenty of rain recently, and the olive tree was growing lush and shiny. It was unlike the olive trees in the East, which were dusty and listless.

She parked her car in the large open space in front of the tube building. As soon as she went up to the third floor corridor, she heard Yang Huilun scolding Song Rosé:

"It's already late June. The diplomas have been issued, but you still haven't found a job. I told you to be more careful, but you only care about dating."

Song Rosé retorted: "I didn't look for it anywhere, I didn't find anything good."

"Isn't the company that Aunt Li introduced to you pretty good?"