17 • In Danger

Garo City was bustling in the evening, especially the streets near the military base, where shops were open as usual and people were busy. Children were playing football on the street, and they didn’t have to worry about accidents happening the next second.

    Song Lisa  followed Li Jungkook  back. The street was noisy, but they didn’t talk much along the way.

    He didn’t speak, and she couldn’t guess what he was thinking, so she just kept silent.

    Li Jungkook  was not in a bad mood, but he was really tired after spending the whole day.

    Passing by a local restaurant, the aroma of barbecue wafted in the air.

    Li Jungkook  turned his head and asked her, “Are you hungry?”

    Song Lisa  originally planned to go back to her residence to eat, so she asked, “Are you hungry?”

    “Um.”

    “…Then let’s eat here.”

    There were quite a few customers in the restaurant, but most of them were peacekeepers stationed nearby. Suddenly, a foreign female walked in, and the soldiers glanced at Song Lisa  intentionally or unintentionally.

    Li Jungkook  noticed something and said softly, “If you feel uncomfortable, let’s go to another place.”

    Song Lisa  didn’t want to bother, so she said, “No need. I’m not a beauty, so there’s nothing good to look at. Besides, the barbecue here smells delicious.”

    Li Jungkook  was afraid that she would feel uncomfortable, so he chose the outermost table near the street. They ordered the special barbecue, flatbread and boiled beans. While waiting for the dishes to be served, Li Jungkook  suddenly smiled and said, “Why is she not a beauty?”

    “I still have self-awareness.” Song Lisa  whispered. Seeing him smile, she knew he was in a good mood, so she asked, “Is there going to be any problems over there?”

    “Which way?”

    Song Lisa  pointed his thumb behind him – in the direction of the US military base.

    “No problem.” Li Jungkook  said, “People like this can be defeated once they are subdued.”

    Song Lisa  didn’t expect him to say such a thing and couldn’t help laughing.

    “why are you laughing?”

    “No.” She shook her head.

    As they were talking, the boss brought out the sliced grilled meat bread and boiled beans, along with a small basin of water for washing hands.

    Li Jungkook  pointed at the small aluminium basin with his chin and said, “You wash first.” He raised his hand and said, “The water will turn black if I put my hand in it.”

    “Oh.” Song Lisa  dipped her hands in the water and rubbed them gently.

    Li Jungkook  looked at her and noticed for the first time that a girl’s hands could be so delicate, white, tender and small. He stared for a long while and then quietly looked away.

    Soon, Song Lisa  pushed the aluminium basin over to him. He washed his hands and wiped his face casually.

    The bread wrapped with roasted meat and topped with boiled beans had a unique flavor. Song Lisa  ate four rolls and a bowl of boiled beans in one breath and was soon full.

    Maybe it was a habit brought from the military camp, but Li Jungkook  was very quiet and serious when eating, and didn’t talk or chat. When rolling the meat, he placed the roasted meat slices neatly on the dough, and then folded the dough like a quilt. Then he brought it to his mouth.

    Song Lisa  couldn’t help laughing, but didn’t say anything to disturb him.

    A peacekeeper passed by on the street, throwing an apple in his hand. Song Lisa  saw it and said casually, “Apples here are super expensive.”

    Li Jungkook  was taking a bite of the bread, pursing his lips and looking up, and the man walked away with the apple thrown to him. He asked, “Do you like apples?”

    “It’s not bad.” Song Lisa  said, “But Jialuo doesn’t have any other fruits.”

    After the meal, Li Jungkook  paid the bill.

    Song Lisa  felt a little embarrassed and said, “Let’s split the bill, shall we?”

    Li Jungkook  looked at her and said, “Reporter Song, don’t be so polite.”

    Song Lisa  didn’t insist anymore.

    On the way back, she confirmed, “Jimin won’t bother you next time, right?”

    “Won’t.”

    In the following days, as Li Jungkook  said, none of the soldiers in the joint operations team bothered him again, and even changed their attitudes towards him. Especially after seeing his bomb disposal ability, Jimin would chat and joke with him whenever he had the chance.

    Song Lisa  recalled Jimin’s ridicule when she first met him and the word “see you” that he said afterwards. She realized belatedly that Jimin just deserved to be abused.

    After the training camp, Song Lisa  sent the edited video to Luo Taehyung  for review as usual. This documentary will not be broadcast on Liangcheng Satellite TV, but will be broadcast directly on the National News Channel and the Military Channel.

    The video starts with Li Jungkook  being “treated specially” in the early stages of the training, and then talks about how he integrated with soldiers from various countries in the later stages. Song Lisa  didn’t record the fight, but the two shoulder wrestlings with Jimin were recorded. At the end of the story, a special joint force consisting of bomb disposal soldiers, snipers, air defense soldiers, long-range artillery, medical soldiers, etc. was officially established. And Li Jungkook ’s presence is a key link in this team.

    Luo Taehyung  was very satisfied after reading it, and even praised her for her good work: “Song Lisa , your grasp of details and the overall picture is great. I think you are born to be a reporter.”

    “No, it’s… Lieutenant Li’s performance was outstanding.”

    “This kid really has a way.”

    Song Lisa  said: “I think he is very clear about what he wants to stick to.”

    “Yeah. Young people like this are hard to come by. By the way, has the demining show been aired?”

    “It aired last weekend.”

    Luo Taehyung  laughed and said, “After the episode about A-Jungkook  was broadcast, did a bunch of girls come to ask about it?”

    “Yeah. …The TV station got a lot of calls.”

    “Well, let’s do some advertising and pick a good girlfriend for this boy when we get back.”

    Song Lisa  hesitated for a moment, and finally said, “Second Lieutenant Li seems to have a girlfriend, and she works at our TV station.”

    “Nowhere.” Luo Taehyung  waved his hand. “His instructor arranged it. We met a few times, but he didn’t like it. We didn’t reach an agreement.”

    Song Lisa  was stunned.

    …

    In the vegetable field, several soldiers were watering the vegetable seedlings. On the ridges, the tomatoes had turned red and the cucumbers had grown a lot bigger.

    Song Lisa  sat on the sidelines and looked around from time to time. It was past dinner time, and he would definitely pass by here on his way back to the dormitory. But after waiting for more than 20 minutes, she still didn’t see him.

    Song Lisa  patted her butt, stood up and walked out. Suddenly, she heard a melodious tune of “Castle in the Sky” played on a harmonica coming from the other side of the playground.

    She walked around the barracks and saw a group of soldiers who had just finished their work for the day. Some were sitting on the ground to relax, while others were walking towards the barracks. Li Jungkook  was sitting on the steps playing the harmonica.

    Song Lisa  remembered that the last time he went to his dormitory to borrow a comb, there was a harmonica in his drawer.

    She walked over to the melodious tune, sat down on the two steps behind him, and listened quietly with her chin in her hand. The playground was covered with yellow sand, and the setting sun hung in the sky like a salted egg yolk.

    Li Jungkook  finished playing, turned the harmonica in a circle between his fingers, and looked up into the distance. He noticed something out of the corner of his eye, turned around, and saw that it was her. In addition to being surprised, a smile slowly bloomed at the corner of his lips: “When did you come?”

    “I just passed by and heard you playing the harmonica, so I sat down and listened for a while,” she said. “I’m getting ready to leave now.”

    “oh.”

    Several comrades were leaving and asked him to go with them.

    Li Jungkook  looked at Song Lisa  and whispered, “I’m leaving first.”

    She nodded and saw him passing by, “Officer Li…” She called the wrong name again.

    “Huh?” He turned around.

    “The other day you said the situation in Garo City is unstable and that we should not wander around. But I need to go out to shoot on the street tomorrow. Which roads would be safer?”

    “Fifth Avenue, Fifth…” Li Jungkook  paused to think and said, “We’re going on patrol tomorrow, would you like to come with us?”

    She pursed her lips: “Won’t it cause you trouble?”

    He chuckled, “What trouble can you give me?”

    Her heart skipped a beat and she nodded gently, “Okay.”

    “Okay. We’ll be together then.”

    “Then…” Before she could speak, he said, “Nine o’clock in the morning?”

    “good.”

    “Meet at the entrance of the station?”

    “Um.”

    …

    Song Lisa  hummed the tune of Castle in the Sky and returned to the hotel. As soon as she entered the door, she rummaged through her luggage and picked out a nude pink coat to wear tomorrow. She quickly washed her hair and took a shower before the water was cut off. When her hair was half dry, she tied a braid on her head so that she would have curly hair tomorrow.

    At nine o’clock in the evening, the sun was setting. It was still bright outside. Song Lisa  was too tired these days and felt a little sleepy, so she went to bed early.

    At six in the morning, she was woken up by a phone call from the TV station. The situation in the East had suddenly changed, and she had a new mission – to go to the border city of Harpo between the East and Egypt to report on the refugees on the border. She set off immediately.

    Song Lisa  agreed.

    She got out of bed and started packing. When she saw the nude pink coat, she remembered to take off her braids. She tied her curly hair into a ponytail, stuffed the pink coat into her bag, and changed into a gray dress. She quickly packed her luggage and rented a car at the hotel front desk.

    At seven in the morning, Song Lisa  loaded her luggage into the car and set off. She went around the station and told the soldiers on guard that if they saw Li Jungkook , they should tell him that she had a mission and had left Jialuo.

    The soldier agreed.

    The streets were still quiet in the early morning, and the bright sunshine enveloped the temple buildings. Song Lisa  drove the car, letting the familiar scenery flow by. She knew that she might never return to this city again.

    Or maybe when she returns one day in the future, the city will have been destroyed beyond all recognition in the flames of war. Who knows?

    She felt a little melancholy and reluctant, but more of a tense and agitated feeling – she was moving closer and closer to the real scars of this country.

    After leaving Garo City, she headed west. There was blue sky, sandy land, and endless olive groves in the distance. She headed towards the long border between the East and Egypt.

    …

    It was nine o’clock in the morning. Song Lisa  noticed the time. Li Jungkook  should be waiting for her at the gate of the station at this time, and then he would know the news of her leaving. I don’t know what his attitude would be. Thinking of this, she felt a little regretful and bitter.

    She had already driven more than a hundred kilometres and was still another one or two hundred kilometres away from the western border.

    Song Lisa  was wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest. In order to save fuel, She did not turn on the air conditioner, and she was already sweating all over.

    After walking for another half an hour, she arrived at an unknown town on the map. The moment she entered the town, she felt an inexplicable sense of uneasiness.

    At 9:30 in the morning, the streets were deserted. The buildings were low, flat and dilapidated, and the houses were covered in grey, as if the sky had been covered with dust for several days and nights.

    Song Lisa  slowed down the car, and the wheels rolled over the debris on the ground – cement blocks, broken glass, wood chips, bullet shells – making a series of shattering sounds.

    The strange silence made her take out her cell phone and check it: no service.

    Suddenly, there was a loud “bang” and Song Lisa  was so scared that she shrank her neck.

    A shell landed a few blocks away, causing paint to fall off the exterior walls of houses on the street. Blocks of cement hit the roofs of cars with clanking sounds.

    This is probably the battlefield between the two armies. Song Lisa  gritted her teeth and stepped on the accelerator, speeding through the streets. Gunfire and artillery were blazing outside the block, but Song Lisa  just drove as fast as she could, rushing out of the town.

    The noise died down, and just as they were about to leave, a checkpoint suddenly appeared in front of them. Song Lisa  was startled, but when she looked closely, she saw that it was the government army.

    The car slowed down and stopped at the checkpoint. A soldier with a gun came forward, bent down to take a look, and signalled Song Lisa  to get out of the car. Others began to conduct a comprehensive inspection of the vehicle.

    The soldier took her aside with a serious face and asked in English with a thick accent:

    “FROM?” Which country?

    “China.”

    “DESTINATION?” Where to go.

    “Hapo.”

    “OCUPATION?” What does it do?

    “Correspondent.” Reporter.

    After checking the documents, the soldier wanted to check the camera. Song Lisa  turned it on and showed it to him.

    “Ma’am, I suggest you retreat. We have received reliable intelligence that the rebels and terrorist organizations are attacking the road to Harpo from all directions.”

    If the transportation lines are cut off, many cities in the west will be surrounded.

    Song Lisa  asked: “But where is absolutely safe now, sir?”

    The soldier paused and looked up at her from the camera screen.

    Song Lisa  asked again: “Will the transportation lines be cut off?”

    “Of course not.” The soldier’s face was as hard as steel. “Our army can hold it.”

    “I think so, sir.”

    The soldier was silent, returned the document to her and said, “Good luck to you.” When he was about to return the camera to her, he suddenly laughed and called his comrades to come over and take a look.

    It turned out to be a picture Song Lisa  took on Jialuo Street. An old man was sitting next to the ruins after the explosion and playing the violin, and a girl passing by was spinning and dancing.

    “This is a great photo.”

    When waving him off, the soldier actually smiled at her and asked, “Isn’t this country great?”

    “Yes.” Song Lisa  said.

    …

    Continuing west, Song Lisa  clearly felt the situation worsening. Along the way, she saw almost no living people. The villages and towns she passed by were all in ruins, covered with traces of war.

    Near noon, she passed a deserted town, more desolate than any she had passed before.

    It’s quiet along the way, but disaster is lurking.

    At some point, the silence was suddenly broken, and danger came from the sky. This is a war zone, and bullets don’t say hello in advance.

    When a bullet went through the back seat, Song Lisa  didn’t even realize that something had flown through the car.

    “Bang!” A hole was punched in the electric pole outside the window, and gravel flew everywhere. Only then did Song Lisa  realize that the bullet had flown between the two car windows.

    She immediately lowered her body and stepped on the accelerator. She knew something was wrong. She had mistakenly entered a direct combat zone.

    The streets were empty and bullets were flying, hitting the ground and walls one after another.

    Since the fight has started, one side will win. She is a foreign civilian, and the government army will definitely save her.

    While her mind was working at high speed, her hands mechanically and accurately opened the camera cover, adjusted the program, and started recording.

    Gunshots were heard everywhere, and they were about to surround her. There was no escape.

    Song Lisa  yelled: “HELP!”

    There was a momentary ceasefire while both sides judged.

    A few seconds later, there was a sudden explosion, with full fire, and gunmen rushed out from building windows, alleys, and behind bunkers.

    Both sides are here to snatch people!

    Song Lisa  saw clearly at once that there were no government troops. They were rebels and terrorist organizations! They were all here to take hostages!

    Finished.

    She rolled out of the car and rushed to an empty alley beside the road. Two rebels jumped out of the second-floor window, one of them aimed his gun and ordered her to surrender.

    A gunshot rang out, Song Lisa  screamed and covered her head, but the rebel fell in front of her, blood gushing from his temple. The other man immediately crouched and pounced on Song Lisa .

    “Bang!” The second rebel was killed and blood sprayed all over Song Lisa ’s face.

    Song Lisa  was extremely frightened and didn’t know where the two shots came from.

    A group of men with high noses and deep eye sockets appeared on the opposite street. One of them rushed over, jumped onto Song Lisa ’s car, stepped over the roof, and jumped towards her. The strong figure covered the dazzling white light in the sky.

    Song Lisa  saw the icon on him clearly: terrorist organization!

    She grabbed the camera, got up and ran. When she turned around, she saw a pair of bloodthirsty eyes on the man’s twisted face.

    She rushed into the alley like a madman, with dishevelled hair and covered in dust, blood and sweat.

    Behind hee, the terrorist member shouted a string of foreign languages arrogantly in a deep and fierce voice that gradually rose. Before he finished speaking, there were wicked responses from a group of men in buildings, bunkers, street corners, shops, and various locations.

    Song Lisa  was like a deer that had entered a hunting circle, with wolves swarming in from all directions.

    She ran into the alley and ran madly. The people behind her laughed, shouted in the local language, and fired guns into the air. Leaves, branches, sand and gravel fell down.

    She ran as fast as she could, constantly entering the winding alleys. Suddenly, a hand reached out and pulled her over to embrace her. Song Lisa  screamed, punched the man in the jaw, and struggled to push him away. She stepped into a pit, twisted her foot, and sat on the ground, using her hands and feet to desperately retreat.

    The man approached her quickly, and his figure instantly blocked out the slanting sunlight.

    A pair of black military boots came into Song Lisa ’s sight, and the gray-green trouser legs were tied into the boots, tightly.

    But she had no time to look closely, she rolled over and ran away. The man took a big step forward, picked her up and hugged her in his arms, and covered her mouth tightly with one hand.

    Song Lisa  whimpered in fear and kicked and hit hard.

    He lifted her helmet and whispered, “Don’t move!”

    Song Lisa  was startled and raised his eyes.

    His black eyes flashed, and he pulled off the mask on his face and said in a very low voice: “It’s me.”