23 • A Nightmare

It’s Shen Jennie .

Song Lisa  felt that she was sober all of a sudden.

Shen Jennie  laughed in surprise: “Song Lisa , you went out to drink? I didn’t expect you to be so brave in a place like this.”

“With local friends.”

Song Lisa  didn’t know Shen Jennie  was coming, so she was a little confused. Shen Jennie  said that the station had a routine rotation of frontline reporters, so she signed up.

Today is September 15th. Song Lisa  has been in Dongguo for exactly two months. It is time for rotation.

“No one told me you were coming.”

“The station plans to go there next week, but I wanted to come early to help you get accustomed to the environment. I was so excited when I left that I forgot to tell you. I called you after I got to Gamma, but there was no signal again.”

“You must be tired from the journey, right?”

“The turnaround is so torturous.” Shen Jennie  pounded her sore lower back, and Song Lisa  then noticed that she was wearing a very delicate silk nightgown.

“You should go to bed early.”

“Um.”

After Song Lisa  returned to her room, she leaned against the door for a while. Her mind was empty and she couldn’t think of anything, so she packed up and went to bed early.

The next morning, she woke up and saw a message from Xiao Qiu: “Did Miss Shen go to your place in advance?”

Song Lisa  replied while lying on the bed: “Yeah.”

“That’s right. If I don’t go now, you’ll steal all the limelight.”

Song Lisa  didn’t know what to say and just gave a dumb look in response.

Xiao Qiu: “Pat her head. Don’t worry, she can’t reach the height of CARRY’s photo.”

While they were still chatting, Song Lisa  heard the sound of a door opening outside and stood up to check. Shen Jennie  was wearing a short T-shirt and tight jeans, carrying a bag and ready to leave.

Song Lisa  was surprised: “You got up so early?”

“jet lag.”

“But where are you going?” Song Lisa  was going to visit the refugee gathering area on the outskirts of the city with Sasin today, and planned to take Shen Jennie  with them.

Shen Jennie  smiled: “Oh. I want to follow and film the government troops and peacekeepers here.”

“…Oh.” Song Lisa  responded, “But you just came here alone and you are not used to the environment yet.”

“Don’t worry. There are reporters from Shenzhen TV here. They are my friends. I’m with them.”

“…Oh.” Seeing that she was about to leave, Song Lisa  added, “Please wear a coat. This is a desert climate. You will be dehydrated if you wear this. …Also, you’d better change into a pair of loose jeans, otherwise it will be very uncomfortable.”

“Oh, thank you.” Shen Jennie  returned to the room to change clothes.

Song Lisa  closed the door, raised her head, and hit the back of her head heavily against the door.

At nine o’clock in the morning, Song Lisa  and Sasin drove to the government army station in the north-eastern suburbs of Hapo City. Recently, more and more refugees have gathered nearby.

Sasin was driving and Song Lisa  was sitting in the passenger seat looking out the window.

Halfway through, Sasin asked, “Are you in a bad mood?”

“Ah? No.” Song Lisa  turned around, “Why do you say that?”

“You’ve been very quiet today. Although you’re not a particularly enthusiastic girl, you usually always say a few words.”

“Maybe it’s because I didn’t sleep well.” She rubbed her eyes.

“Really?” Sasin  suddenly smiled, “Could it be because of the peacekeeper in the bar yesterday?”

Song Lisa  didn’t say anything.

“That soldier is handsome,” Sasin  said. “I guess he likes you.”

Song Lisa  was surprised: “Don’t talk nonsense.”

“Song, I’m a man.” Sasin patted his chest, his big eyes, which were unique to Oriental people, blinked, and said, “Believe me. I don’t understand the incomprehensible Chinese, but I saw that every word you said made him laugh and couldn’t stop laughing. But my dear Song, you are not a humorous girl. Sorry, you are a good girl, but believe me, the distance between you and the word ‘humor’ is as far as the distance between Hapo and Garo.”

“…”

Song Lisa  wanted to believe it, but didn’t dare to, and said, “Maybe it’s because of drinking. Wasn’t alcohol also responsible for your flirting with that girl yesterday?”

This time, Sasin  was silent. He thought for a moment and shrugged: “But I still think there must be something in the way he looked at you. Otherwise, it was because I was drunk yesterday.”

“I think you’re drunk.” Song Lisa  looked out the window, put on her mask and helmet again, and said, “Let’s not talk about this for now and concentrate on work.”

Sasin  didn’t argue with her and put on his helmet.

The military camp where the joint special forces lived was in a government military base in the north-eastern suburb of Hapo. Jimin had gone out on a date with a girl the night before and didn’t come back until three in the morning, but he woke up at seven this morning as usual, feeling very energetic.

The British soldiers in the team joked: “After doing physical work all night, you still have so much energy.”

Jimin said, “Believe it or not, I still have the energy to fuck you now.”

Everyone burst into laughter.

Jimin turned around and asked Li Jungkook : “What time did you get back yesterday?”

Li Jungkook  didn’t answer, and the British soldier continued: “He will come back with us at the normal time.”

Jimin smacked his lips. “I told you last night at the bar that if you take the initiative to kiss her, the girl will definitely go home with you obediently. I can see it… ah!”

Li Jungkook  passed by with a toothbrush and toothpaste and kicked Jimin in the knee; Jimin’s leg broke and he knelt down.

“LEE, I’m doing this for your happiness!” Jimin said injustice.

At 7:30 in the morning, the team members gathered in the government army’s operations room to analyse the latest battle map and divide the day’s marching area.

Fifteen minutes later, the strategic deployment was completed. Everyone dispersed, and a group of reporters gathered outside the operations room.

Li Jungkook  and his men had long been accustomed to it. The government army had cooperation agreements with many international media outlets, and would let some reporters in for interviews every day, which had nothing to do with their combat team.

Li Jungkook  and his team still have fifteen minutes to prepare various equipment and ammunition and set off on time at 8 o’clock.

After coming out of the operations room, he and his team members left immediately. Unexpectedly, one of the reporters ran over and said, “Li Jungkook !”

It was Shen Jennie .

She ran towards him, smiling. The government soldiers nearby tried to stop her, but when they saw that they seemed to know each other, they gave up.

Li Jungkook  was a little surprised and asked, “Why are you here?”

“I’m a reporter, so of course I’m at the front line.” Shen Jennie  looked him up and down and said with a smile, “You look really good in this military uniform.”

Li Jungkook  didn’t respond, and asked calmly, “Didn’t you say that your station doesn’t send female reporters to the front line?”

Shen Jennie  smiled: “My father didn’t want me to come, so he tricked me. But I convinced him later and insisted on attending the training.”

“Oh.” Li Jungkook  said, “Then be careful. I have something else to do, so I’ll leave first.”

“Hey!” Shen Jennie  called him, “Can I follow you to interview? I want to report on the peacekeeping special forces.”

“The special operations team does not accept interviews from non-national media, and they need to obtain official approval from the Joint Operations Headquarters.”

Shen Jennie  was stunned: “So strict? … Can’t you be flexible?”

“Journalists have no ability to protect themselves or have someone to protect them, which will cause us a lot of trouble and burden.”

Shen Jennie  said nothing, just bit her lip slightly and looked at him.

But Li Jungkook  just nodded as a farewell, turned around and left.

Not a single word more.

After Li Jungkook  counted the equipment in the car, he walked to the passenger side, opened the door and got in. Only then did he realize that Shen Jennie  was still standing not far away, looking at him.

Jimin laughed at one side, “You’re really popular.”

Li Jungkook  said calmly: “Don’t talk nonsense.”

“ZIP!” Jimin put his finger to his mouth and made a zipper-like gesture to close his mouth. After a few seconds, he said, “But I choose song song.”

Song Lisa  and Sasin drove away from the city center.

The city outside the window began to show more signs of war damage, with broken walls and ruins, and damaged buildings and monuments fading rapidly in the rearview mirror. Wanderers were everywhere.

When they entered the suburbs, they saw the bodies of civilians lying randomly on the roadside, with no one to collect them. Some died in the war, while others had no external injuries, probably due to illness or hunger.

After passing through hell on earth, they finally reached their destination. It was a refugee gathering area less than one kilometre away from the government army station. Because it was close to the government army and relatively safe, many people came here to seek refuge.

Since most of the houses in the suburbs are empty, the resettlement of refugees is not difficult to solve. They can just take over the houses of other people. However, they still need to rely on relief for food.

There is a children’s house in the area, which houses children who were separated from their parents during the war. This is the purpose of Sasin and Song Lisa ’s visit today.

The two parked the car on the side of the road. Children of all ages were playing on the street. Some were chasing empty cans and kicking them as balls, some were sitting on the side of the road playing with mud that had fallen from the wall, and some were digging bullet casings out of the bullet holes in the wall.

Most of the children were dark, thin, and half-naked.

Song Lisa  got out of the car and took a few photos.

Seeing someone coming, a group of dark-skinned children all came closer, but they were a little shy and didn’t dare to be presumptuous. They gathered together, talking and whispering, while smiling at Song Lisa  shyly.

Finally, a little boy with curly hair and big eyes slowly approached, and asked timidly from a distance of several meters: “Madam, do you have candy?”

Song Lisa  knew that she was not the first group of reporters to arrive.

But she and Sasin were prepared, bringing lots of candies and chocolates. All the children gathered around her, looking at her expectantly with their sparkling eyes.

Everyone got some candy, and the children took it and ran away happily.

Sasin  chatted with the children for a while, then took Song Lisa  into a house to meet the children’s “mother”.

They were two kind-looking Eastern women in their 30s and 40s, both of whom had lost their loved ones in the war. The two women took care of 70 or 80 unattended children on the street. But other refugees on the street would also help.

The "mom" said that the children were very obedient and sensible and never caused them any trouble. She also said that there had been children who were lost from their parents before, but they were picked up one after another later, but there have been no such children recently.

Everyone knows that what has not come yet will never come.

Halfway through the interview, the two “mothers” went to cook porridge for the children, and Sasin went to help. Song Lisa  stayed alone in the room.

It was still a few minutes before eight in the morning, but the sun was shining brightly outside and the temperature was rising.

The house is a traditional Eastern dwelling with thick walls, small windows and is very cool.

Song Lisa  heard the laughter and shouting of children outside and walked to the window to look.

It turned out that someone had found a half-deflated ball, and the children, who had no toys, happily kicked the ball in the street. A group of little girls sat on the side of the road, clapping their hands and singing songs.

The singing was childish and melodious, and sounded familiar. It was the song sung by the little boy on the day Li Jungkook  defuses the bomb.

Song Lisa  was somewhat moved. She set up the camera on a tripod to film and then picked up the camera to take pictures.

In the camera, all the children playing football suddenly ran in one direction – a local man came, and it was unclear whether he was a local reporter or a nearby neighbour.

The man was holding a big bag and distributing candies. All the little children gathered around him, tilting their heads up, eagerly waiting for candies.

Song Lisa  smiled and raised the camera, but the moment he pressed the shutter, a nightmare began –

“boom!”

There was a loud bang that resounded through the sky! Song Lisa  was so shocked that she shrank back and jumped up.

At that moment, she wished she was blind. Because –

She watched helplessly as the man blew himself up, his flesh and blood turning into fireworks. The small bodies of the children around him were blown away like pieces of paper, blood splattering.

Song Lisa  stood still for a moment, with unprecedented fear and loss of mind in her wide-open eyes. She stared at the blue-gray smoke, her mouth open, her hands still holding the camera, for a full ten seconds, she was as motionless as a stiff ice sculpture.

Until suddenly, a sharp pain tore up from the depths of her heart, and Song Lisa  turned and ran towards the door; the two “mothers” who came after hearing the sound had already rushed out crying.

With the sound of a few gunshots, the mothers’ voices calling out were instantly wiped out from the world.

Song Lisa  ran to the door and suddenly fell to her knees with weak legs, then crawled back to the window.

The quiet street suddenly became lively.

Terrible slogans, wild shouting,

The sounds of doors opening and closing, crying, screaming, and gunshots from nearby residents resounded throughout the world.

Outside the window, the broken bodies of the children lay quietly. Some of the children were still moving, but completely still under the flying bullets.

Song Lisa  lowered her head, covered his ears, and tears flowed wildly. It was as if all the fear and grief of her life burst out at this moment.

They are crazy! The government troops are stationed less than 1 kilometre away from here!

Please, a soldier, please! Please, a soldier, please save the children!

Through tearful eyes, she saw Sasin  with bloodshot eyes, rushing out with a gun in hand.

Song Lisa  rushed over and hugged his legs tightly, wailing in a low voice: “Please!”

She was in tears and was about to collapse with fear: “Please! You will die! Please!”

The children outside the house were howling, the women were begging, and a few gunshots put an end to everything. Sasin’s face was distorted from crying, and he broke free from Song Lisa  and rushed out.

After a burst of gunfire, there was suddenly silence from Sasin’s side.

Song Lisa  covered her mouth tightly and swallowed the cry in his throat.

She climbed to the window and saw the clothes of the people outside. They were a terrorist organization.

They are too arrogant and don’t take the nearby government military bases seriously at all!

They walked the streets with guns in hand and their faces covered, kicking the bodies lying on the ground one by one, and shooting any who were still alive. Some even broke into people’s homes and raided them, with screams ringing out.

Song Lisa  was so frightened that she crawled back to the door and saw through the crack in the door that Sasin was leaning against the wall with a bullet in his stomach, but he was still alive.

She gently opened the door and pulled his hand. Sasin slowly opened his eyes, shook his head in pain, and signaled to leave him alone.

Song Lisa  wiped away her tears and ran to the window to look out. The terrorists on the street had entered the houses.

She immediately rushed back, hugged Sasin ’s shoulders, dragged him into the house, and quickly closed the door.

There were cries, gunshots and screams nearby.

Song Lisa  hugged Sasin and huddled in a dark corner, pressing his hands tightly against the wound on his stomach. His blood kept oozing out, warm and sticky, carrying the remaining strength, like every struggling life on this land.

He Is only twenty years old and he is just a sophomore.

He pushed her hand, his face pale: “Run away…”

Song Lisa  cried silently, tears streaming down her face like crazy, and just shook his head.

Where could she go? She had nowhere to run.

The gunshots outside the window were getting closer and closer.

Song Lisa  raised her head in despair, opened her mouth and cried silently, her face full of tears.

Please, please …

The door was suddenly kicked open, sunlight poured in, and the tall and terrifying shadows of those people spread in. Song Lisa  was so frightened that she stopped breathing and shrank into the corner of the sofa.

She hugged Sasin tightly, staring at the figures on the ground, watching them about to cross the threshold –

Suddenly, there was a loud gunshot not far away, and someone outside was shouting. These figures immediately returned to join the battle.

In an instant, there were continuous sounds of gunfire, thunder, and artillery fire.

Government troops arrived.

This side was too close to the base, and the terrorists were afraid of future reinforcements, so they did not dare to fight for a long time and retreated quickly.

Song Lisa  finally burst into tears: “Help! Help!”

Soon, government soldiers came running in and immediately called the medical soldiers to carry the man away. After Song Lisa  handed Sasin over to them, he lost all his strength and collapsed to the ground.

There were all kinds of shouts and calls for help outside. She leaned against the wall, motionless.

She doesn’t know how long it took, but a shadow appeared in the sunlight at the door and someone walked in.

A familiar pair of boots came into view, and Song Lisa  slowly raised her eyes. It was Li Jungkook .

He frowned deeply, didn’t say anything, and didn’t ask her if she was okay. He knew exactly what she had been through.

Li Jungkook  walked over slowly and squatted in front of her.

The sunlight from the window made her skin look pale and her eyes dull.

He knelt on one knee in front of her, raised his hand to touch her head, and said softly, “It will be fine.”

Her eyes were empty and stubborn as she stared at him. The corners of her mouth sank, like a child who had suffered a lot of grievances, and tears fell like rain.

His eyes turned red, he took a deep breath to control his emotions, wiped the tears from her face with his fingers, and was about to say something,

“Jungkook !” Shen Jennie  jumped in from outside holding a camera.

Song Lisa  quickly lowered her head, turned her face away, and wiped his tears.

“Lisa, you’re here too? Are you okay?” Shen Jennie  ran over to pull her, “Why is there so much blood on you?”

“It’s not mine. It’s someone else’s.”

“Oh, that’s good. I was scared to death.” Shen Jennie  said, looking at Li Jungkook , “Jimin is looking for you. It’s urgent.”

“Yeah.” Li Jungkook  looked at Song Lisa , feeling a little worried, but now he had a mission to accomplish, so he just said, “I’m leaving first.”

Song Lisa  didn’t look at him and nodded.

Li Jungkook  went out quickly.

Shen Jennie  looked at the two of them, somewhat silent. Just now outside, Li Jungkook  saw the seriously injured Dongguo reporter Sasin on a stretcher, and immediately stepped forward to ask which house he was carried out from.

She saw Li Jungkook  rushing into the house and thought it was something important, but…

Song Lisa  quietly put away the tripod video camera and camera by the window.

Shen Jennie  looked at the bloodstains in the room and said, “Being a war correspondent is not a human thing. It’s too dangerous. Today was the first day and I almost got killed in a bomb. Fortunately, A-Jungkook  was there to protect me.”

Song Lisa  pretended not to hear anything. She bent down, stuffed the equipment into her bag, and walked out without saying a word.

A group of children were neatly lined up on the roadside, with the outlines of their tiny bodies visible under the white cloth; a young government soldier was sitting on the roadside, covering his eyes, his shoulders shaking with tears.

Shen Jennie  immediately went over to take a picture of this scene.

Song Lisa  didn’t react. She stood on the side of the road with a blank look on her face, looking at the bloody street, not knowing where to go.

A group of soldiers were cleaning up the bodies, rescuing the wounded and evacuating the survivors.

At this time, shouting came from a residential house, and a group of government soldiers quickly retreated. A few seconds later, a woman walked out slowly with tears on her face.

The soldiers raised their guns and yelled at her, “Back off!”

The woman raised her hands and cried, “Save me!”

She was strapped with bombs.

Although they were civilians, the soldiers remained alert, holding their guns ten meters away from her and shouting, “Back off! Back off first!”

The woman cried, "Help me! Help me!”

She stopped by the roadside, trembling all over, with a miserable face. Then everyone saw clearly that she was pregnant!

How mad and insane! Several soldiers started to curse at the extremist organization.

A squad leader of the government army came over to discuss with the peacekeeping team. After discussing with Jimin Li Jungkook  and others, they decided to go over and take a look first.

Li Jungkook  put on his helmet, put on thick protective clothing, and walked towards the woman carrying a toolbox.

Song Lisa  shrank her nose, wiped her eyes with her sleeve, and forced herself to adjust the camera.

As soon as Li Jungkook  walked up to the man, the poor woman’s legs went limp from fright and she fell to her knees.

Li Jungkook  squatted down and asked, “Can you speak English?”

“A little.” The pregnant woman was already a little exhausted.

“Cooperate with me,” Li Jungkook  said, “Raise your arms.”

The woman raised her hand tremblingly.

Li Jungkook  conducted a preliminary examination on her and found that her body was covered with rows of detonator bombs, and the detonator showed that there were still ten minutes left.

“Who tied you up?”

“Just now a group of terrorists broke into my home and tied me up. They also killed my husband and children.”

Li Jungkook  was untying the thread on her shoulder. Hearing this, he paused for a second and slowly raised his eyes to look at her. The woman had a typical Eastern face, brown skin, black curly hair, high brow bones, and deep eye sockets.

Li Jungkook  watched quietly.

The midday sun made beads of sweat condense between people’s brows.

The woman’s expression froze slightly, and she asked, “What’s wrong?”

Li Jungkook  smiled: “It’s okay.”

He lowered his eyes, turned his eyeballs slightly, glanced at the woman’s right hand, and saw that there were thin calluses on the side of her palm near the thumb – caused by the gun.

There was deathly silence in the small space where the two men faced each other.

The soldiers around were still cleaning up the scene, shouting all kinds of things. They didn’t care about the situation here.

Li Jungkook  lowered his eyes and continued to untie the threads on the man’s chest, glancing at the button on the detonator with the corner of his eye.

And she was watching him.

Suddenly, the woman’s hand fell down and touched the detonator; and Li Jungkook  pulled out a pistol from his trouser leg in an instant, aimed at her head, and fired!

The woman's eyes widened In shock, blood burst from her head, and her finger on the detonator did not press down after all.

She died with her eyes open, slowly falling backwards.

“What happened?” The surrounding soldiers ran over here.

Li Jungkook  put the gun back and stood up, but he saw the detonator was triggered instantly when the woman fell to the ground, and the countdown became 5 seconds.

He Immediately turned around and yelled, “Go!”

The well-trained soldiers ran back instantly.

Song Lisa , who had followed the soldiers, saw this scene and stood there in a daze, unable to react. She only saw everyone scattering and fleeing like fireworks. Li Jungkook  rushed towards her.

Behind him, Shen Jennie  called out, “A-Jungkook !”

Song Lisa  knew that the bomb was about to explode. She felt cold all over and couldn’t move a step when she wanted to run. It was as if her mind was stuck at that moment.

Li Jungkook  brushed past her and pounced behind her.

That second seemed to be stretched to infinity. She even felt the gust of wind he brought when he rushed behind her, which made her feel sad and cold in her heart.

And that second was so short that people had no time to do anything. In an instant, the human bomb exploded.

The strong shock wave hit Song Lisa  head-on like an invisible wall, mixed with sharp bomb fragments stabbing at her.

She felt as if all her internal organs were shattered and her eyes seemed to be pierced by a sharp weapon. She wanted to scream in pain, but she didn’t. She fell straight down, her head hit the ground, and she lost consciousness instantly.