35 • Jungkook' s Father

Song Lisa  had been dreaming all night, a real dream – in the dimly lit corridor, he bent down to kiss her, his lips were soft; his face smelled good. It turned out that a good-looking face also smelled good.

She squinted her eyes and looked at him secretly, and saw his long eyelashes drooping and slightly closed. The way he closed his eyes made her heart beat faster.

Song Lisa  felt like she was sleeping on a cloud all night, her body was fluffy and soft. When she woke up, her heart was pounding and her face was red and hot.

She was in a daze, lying in bed for a while, when her cell phone rang. She woke up this time and took a look. It was indeed a text message from Li Jungkook .

“are you awake?”

“I’m awake now.”

“What are you going to do today?” Today is Saturday.

“Nothing planned.”

“Do you want to go to Jiangcheng for fun?”

Song Lisa  was stunned, and immediately replied: “Yes!”

“I’ll come find you at nine?”

“OK.”

Song Lisa  got up. Song Zhicheng and Song Rosé  were eating breakfast in the living room, fried glutinous rice cakes and golden rice noodles. Song Lisa  usually had a poor appetite in the morning, and greasy food easily made her feel sick. She took two bites of the golden rice noodles, couldn’t eat anymore, and went to wash up.

There was a commotion outside. Yang Huilun came in, followed by several decorators, saying that they were going to decorate Song Rosé ’s room. Although she had always disagreed with Song Rosé  and Lu Jaehyun , she could not stop the two from getting married.

Song Lisa  saw the situation and thought that there was going to be a big commotion in the room.

Song Rosé  frowned: “The wedding date hasn’t been set yet, why are you doing it so early? Where will I live after the decoration?”

“You ask me? Don’t blame Lu Jaehyun  for not buying a house earlier. You can go live in his house.”

Song Rosé  went crazy: “I surrender to you!”

Yang Huilun smiled again and said, “Lisa , please pack up your things. I’m afraid the workers will be careless and break or lose them.”

“Hey.” Song Lisa  quickly packed her things and dragged her suitcase out the door.

The time is half past eight in the morning.

She sent a text message to Li Jungkook : “How about we meet at Qingzhi Lane? I’m not in the Archives Bureau anymore.”

The other side quickly replied: “OK.”

Song Lisa  returned to Qingzhi Lane and had just finished packing when she heard the door to the courtyard downstairs open. She ran to the window and saw Li Jungkook  had just closed the courtyard door. When he turned around, he looked up and smiled at her.

Through the budding branches of the gardenia tree, his face looked clean and beautiful in the spring light.

Song Lisa  quickly ran down the stairs and came to meet him: “I just finished packing and you came. What a coincidence.”

Li Jungkook  touched her cheek naturally and asked, “You’re moving back after just one night?”

She blushed slightly and said, “My sister is getting married soon, and our house is being renovated so there is no room for her to live in.”

Li Jungkook  followed her into the house and was surprised to hear this: “My own sister?” He thought she was an only child.

“Yes. We have the same father but different mothers.” Song Lisa  simply explained it all at once. “My mother works in Imperial City. Do you remember the last time we met at the airport? I had just come back from visiting my mother.”

“Oh.” He nodded to show that he understood, and looked away as he entered the room.

Song Lisa  was sensitive and asked, “Do you think it’s troublesome?”

Li Jungkook  was pushing the window pane at the window. After hearing this, he turned around in confusion: “What is that?...Oh.” His brows relaxed and he smiled, “Is this a troublesome thing?” He frowned again and pushed the iron fence outside the window hard to test its stability. After pushing the other windows one by one, he pulled the back door.

Song Lisa  then realized that he was checking whether the doors and windows of her house were secure.

Her heart warmed, and she asked, “What punishment will Zhao Yuanli receive?”

“Wait for the trial. You can’t be a teacher in Liangcheng anymore.”

“Oh.” She looked at the time. It was almost nine o’clock. She asked, “How do we get to Jiangcheng?”

“High-speed rail.” Li Jungkook  glanced at her and asked, “Do you want to go back today or tomorrow?”

He was just asking casually, but Song Lisa ’s heartbeat suddenly quickened for some reason, and he asked back, “What are you mainly doing in Jiangcheng today?”

“I’ll show you where I grew up, and my family.”

“Oh…” She hesitated, “Coming back today… isn’t it a bit rushed?”

“A little bit.”

“But tomorrow…are you going to work?”

“Tomorrow is Sunday.”

Song Lisa  thought about it and said modestly, “Let’s wait and see. Anyway, high-speed rail tickets are easy to buy and easy to refund.”

“Okay.” Li Jungkook  said, leaning against the half-length cabinet and looking at her.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, totally unaware that her face had turned as red as an apple because of the conversation that had just taken place.

He took a step forward, took her hand and pulled her in front of him, and asked in a low voice: “Talk to me, why are you blushing?”

He leaned against the cabinet, standing with his legs apart to accommodate her height. She threw herself into his arms, her waist pressed against him, and this intimate posture made her face even hotter.

“Really?” Song Lisa  touched her face. The next second, Li Jungkook  tilted his head, reached behind her and pushed her back. She leaned forward, and he slightly met her, and her lips collided with his.

A light, ambiguous touch.

Li Jungkook  grinned silently, revealing his white teeth.

Song Lisa  was so embarrassed that she hit his arm.

His hand pushed her back again, and this time she learned her lesson and put her hands on his shoulders. He put a little more force on his hands, and she stubbornly resisted, the two of them competing with each other.

He simply held the back of her head and leaned forward to kiss her. The young man pried open her lips and teeth in revenge, and the tip of his tongue attacked her tongue, entangled with her tongue and sucked it hard. Song Lisa  whimpered in pain, her brain buzzed, and her body was numb. She stood on tiptoe, and involuntarily hugged his neck, awkwardly and clumsily facing him, kissing and biting his lips, soft and warm.

Until a certain moment, she suddenly felt a force stirring somewhere close to him, like a little animal about to wake up. She was startled and her body stiffened; Li Jungkook  also froze, and then slowly let go of her.

That power went dormant again.

Li Jungkook ’s face also turned a little red. He pursed his lips and looked at her gently.

Her eyes were watery and she acted dumb.

He touched his nose awkwardly, looked away, and couldn’t help laughing again, then looked at her again. He stroked her red lips with his thumb, raised his hand to tidy up her messy hair, then stood up straight and said, “Let’s go.”

The high-speed train from Liangcheng to Jiangcheng takes more than an hour. Rapeseed flowers are in full bloom on both sides of the railway, a brilliant yellow under the blue sky.

Song Lisa  looked at the early spring scenery and arrived in Jiangcheng in a good mood.

On the way to Li Jungkook ’s house, they passed the Jiangcheng section of the Yangtze River. The river water was blue and green, and spring grass was growing wildly on the mudflats.

Song Lisa  looked out with joy, and suddenly turned her head: “You are right, the winter jasmine in our yard really bloomed this morning.”

“Really?” Li Jungkook  put his hand behind her head and played with her hair. Her hair had grown longer, past her shoulders.

Song Lisa  thought of something and said, “Let’s pass by the fruit shop later and buy some fruit.”

Li Jungkook  understood and said, “No, my family doesn’t have so many etiquettes.”

“I still have to. After all, it’s my first time visiting you.” Then she asked, “Does your father drink?”

“No smoking, no drinking.”

Song Lisa ’s eyes curved: “So it’s hereditary.”

“You really don’t need to buy it. My dad is very easy to get along with. He is very happy to see you.” Li Jungkook  said, reaching out to smooth her hair that was messed up by the river breeze.

Song Lisa  let his hands entangle her hair and asked, “What about your mother? Oh, it’s all your fault. You didn’t tell me in advance, so I didn’t prepare a gift.”

Li Jungkook  said: “My mother is gone, so there is no need to buy it.”

Song Lisa  was stunned.

Li Jungkook  said calmly, “she has  been gone for more than ten years.”

Song Lisa  nodded and didn’t ask any more questions.

Li Jungkook  lives in the staff quarters of the Construction Engineering Group, and there is a fruit shop outside the quarters.

Song Lisa  picked a bunch of imported strawberries, cherries, red apples, and oranges. When she wanted to pick more, Li Jungkook  stopped him and said, “My dad is not a monkey. He can’t eat so many fruits.”

Song Lisa  then gave up.

Walking into the family housing estate, one sees rows of six-story apartment buildings, all neatly laid out with large windows and balconies. Song Lisa  looked around and said, “As expected, they are from the Construction Engineering Company. The family housing buildings they design are all better.”

“This community was built in the 1990s, and I have lived here since I was born.”

“The 90s? They look quite new.”

“The exterior wall was renovated the year before last.”

The two of them walked and talked, passed through the community garden, and came to a building facing the garden, where they saw a middle-aged man in his forties or fifties waiting at the door of the unit.

Li Jungkook  asked from a distance: “Why did you come all the way here? Are you afraid that I don’t remember where I’m from?”

His father, Li Qingchen, smiled warmly, “I went downstairs for a walk, it just happened.”

Song Lisa  stared at him for a few seconds and called out in surprise: “Uncle Li?”

Li Qingchen was also surprised and asked with a smile: “Miss Song?”

Song Lisa  blushed and waved her hand quickly: “Just call me Lisa .”

The two people who were a little nervous about each other suddenly no longer felt awkward, but Li Jungkook  felt a little confused.

Li Qingchen then said that he had laid a moisture-proof layer for Song Lisa ’s family in Liangcheng last year.

Li Jungkook  frowned slightly and spoke to him in dialect: “I knew you were doing something behind my back again. I’ve told you many times not to do it now that you’re retired.”

“I’m used to being busy, so I have nothing to do. Now the group wants to re-hire me, and there’s nothing to do at home, so I want to go back.” Father Li smiled kindly and went to take the bag of fruit from Li Jungkook ’s hand; Li Jungkook  didn’t let him lift it, but he struggled for a long time and finally snatched it away.

Song Lisa  watched from the side and thought that the father and son looked very similar.

Li Jungkook ’s family lives on the third floor, which is the best floor in the apartment building. This building is also the best located in the community. It can be roughly inferred that Li’s father’s work performance during his tenure must be a diligent and outstanding person. Otherwise, he would not have raised a child like Li Jungkook .

The house has three bedrooms and two living rooms, with a regular layout and clean windows. There are all kinds of flowers and plants on the balcony. Since there are few people in the family, the two south-facing rooms are used as bedrooms and the north-facing room is used as a study.

Song Lisa  entered the room and sat for a while before she curiously ran to look at Li Jungkook ’s bedroom. It was clean and tidy inside. As he had been away for a long time, there was no smell of him in the room. But there were many childhood awards on the wall, and some models collected when he was young on the desk.

She looked around, carefully read each certificate silently, and examined each model.

Li Jungkook  sat astride the chair and looked at her with interest.

After she had finished her “inspection”, she ran to the study to look; he followed her.

Step into the study, and you’ll be filled with the fragrance of books.

Song Lisa  looked around the bookshelf. Apart from some world classics, most of the books were about physics and chemistry, circuits, chemical materials, etc. The most surprising thing was that all of Li Jungkook ’s textbooks from elementary school to junior high school, from high school to military school were neatly arranged in chronological order and collected on the bookshelf.

Song Lisa  randomly picked up a first-grade Chinese textbook and flipped it open. Little Li Jungkook ’s crooked handwriting was left on it. The music textbook was covered with doodles of little people and cars. She flipped open a high school chemistry textbook and saw notes from class on the blank space. By then, his handwriting had already become angular.

Song Lisa  exclaimed: “You actually kept all the books.”

Li Jungkook  smiled and said, “My dad left it to me. In the past, during the summer vacation, someone would collect discarded books. My neighbors’ parents all sold their books, but my dad refused. Looking back now, it still has a lot of commemorative significance.”

“I have no place to put my books, so I sold them as scraps a long time ago, especially the history books for junior high and high school…” Song Lisa  said regretfully, and then said, “Your father is so good to you.”

“Yes.” Li Jungkook  said, “You are the best to me.”

When Song Lisa  heard this, she thought about it, quickly leaned over to his ear and whispered, “I will treat you well, too.”

Li Jungkook  was stunned and looked at her blankly.

But she ran out with a smile on her face – Li Qingchen called them to have lunch.

There were only three of us, but he cooked a table full of dishes, including stewed black chicken with wolfberry and yam, pan-fried lake fish, stir-fried shrimps, stir-fried cauliflower with garlic, and preserved egg and cucumber soup. All of them were seasonal dishes.

As soon as Song Lisa  sat down, Li’s father scooped a bowl of stewed chicken soup for her, and scooped out chicken wings, chicken legs, chicken gizzards and small eggs for her, which happened to be her favorites. He also scooped a bowl for Li Jungkook .

“Eat more.” Father Li said, “This is the chicken I caught at Grandma A-Jungkook ’s house this morning. It was raised on rice. It’s a genuine native chicken.”

“Thank you, uncle~~”

Song Lisa  was very magnanimous and drank a big bowl of chicken soup, ate half a fish, ate a big bowl of rice with shrimps and cabbage, and then drank half a bowl of cucumber soup.

Li Jungkook  ate his food slowly, glanced at her and said, “I didn’t realize you were such a big eater. I’m afraid I won’t be able to support you in the future.”

Song Lisa  was chewing a chicken leg. When she heard this, she looked up at him, her eyes confused and her mouth greasy. Half a second later, she reacted and glared at him in embarrassment.

Li Jungkook  smiled and put another piece of fish maw into her bowl.

Song Lisa  frowned: “Didn’t you tell me not to eat?”

Li Jungkook put down his chopsticks and rubbed the back of her head: “Is it okay if I’m wrong?”

Song Lisa  blushed, and then she saw Father Li smiling to himself, and her face turned even redder.

After lunch, Li Jungkook  said hello to his father and took Song Lisa  out for a walk on the street.

Jiangcheng is not big, it is nestled against the mountains and beside the river.

The city is full of crisscrossing streets and lanes. It is not very wide, but it has a strong atmosphere of life, with snack bars and boutiques everywhere. The city is well greened. It is spring now, and the roads are lined with fresh green, with a few trees with red leaves that I cannot name.

Li Jungkook  took Song Lisa  and walked straight along a road in front of the gate of the staff quarters to the end, and they arrived at the river bank.

On the other side of the dam, the river water is as clear as blue.

Winter and spring, especially early spring, are the most beautiful seasons for the Yangtze River. The green silk ribbons spread across the land, and the breeze makes the silk ribbons sway and float, creating ripples.

When the summer flood peak comes in a few months, the water will be filled with mud and sand, and the whole place will become muddy and yellow.

The spring breeze blows across the river, making you feel relaxed and happy.

Li Jungkook  was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans today, looking gentle and docile, with no sign of his past experiences at all. Song Lisa  looked at him and thought, others would never imagine how fierce he was when he defuse bombs and draw his gun.

Still looking, he noticed her gaze, turned around, and looked at her with a smile. The sunlight shone on his eyelashes, shining golden. He squinted slightly: “What are you looking at?”

She smiled and shook her head: “Nothing.” Then she asked, “Did you ever swim in the river when you were a child?”

“I nearly drowned.”

“Eh? How did you do that?”

“In the summer, many parents would bring their children to play in the river. I was still young at that time, and I was swimming around with a swimming ring on. I accidentally slipped through the ring and fell into the deep water. The river was full of people at the time, just like herding ducks. No one paid attention.”

“Then what?”

“Luckily my dad was watching me the whole time, and he rushed into the river, grabbed my feet and pulled me back.”

Song Lisa  thought about that scene and chuckled.

“From then on, I was never allowed to play in the river again.”

“In the summer, many children play in the river, and some drown every year. But I am afraid of water, so I dare not go in. I only play on the rocks.”

It is spring now, the river is receding, revealing large tracts of rubble on the shore, colorful and with a kind of messy beauty. Various kinds of grass and flowers grow in the cracks of the rocks, slender strips looking up at the sky.

The two walked down the gravel slope. The river bank was steep. Li Jungkook  walked in front and handed her a hand. She held it tightly with both hands and instantly felt his strong support.

She followed him step by step down the stone slope to the water’s edge.

There were people fishing by the river, one or two families sitting on the stone slope, enjoying the spring river view, and there were couples taking photos by the river.

Song Lisa  looked at them a few more times, and Li Jungkook  asked, “Do you want to take a picture?”

Song Lisa  whispered, “I want to take a picture with you.”

Li Jungkook  then hugged her in his arms and raised his phone. Song Lisa  leaned her head on his shoulder and grinned at the camera. Li Jungkook  saw her smiling face on the screen and couldn’t help laughing, so he pressed the selfie button.

“Do you want someone to help take the photo?”

“No thanks.” She was very satisfied with the photo. Besides, the scenery was not what she cared about.

The two walked back along the river bank, through a spring forest, and arrived at the elementary school where Li Jungkook  had once attended.

It was the end of get out of class, and a bunch of short and stout kids were playing in the open space in front of the teaching building. The sound of the children’s cries was like hundreds of ducks released into the river, but it was not noisy, but rather particularly interesting.

Song Lisa  lay outside the school gate and looked, imagining that more than ten years ago, little Li Jungkook  was also a very small kid like this, jumping around on the steps with his classmates.

She suddenly became curious: “Do you have any photos of you as a child at home?”

“Yes, there are quite a lot.”

“Then come back and show it to me later.”

“good.”

She was happy, holding onto the iron gate and continued to look around. Suddenly, she pointed at a little boy who was playing marbles with his classmates in the corner and said, “I think you must have looked like him when you were a child.”

Li Jungkook  leaned over to her and asked, “Why?”

Song Lisa : “Because he is the best looking.”

Li Jungkook  laughed out loud, searching among the little kids, pointing at a little girl sitting on the steps quietly reading a comic book and saying, “You must have been like her when you were a child.”

“Eh? Why?”

“I think she is the most special, and that’s the kind of person I would have liked when I was a kid.”

Song Lisa  covered her mouth and laughed, then took a picture of the little girl with her cell phone.

After a while, the bell rang and the children ran to the classroom. Song Lisa  looked at their young faces and suddenly her smile faded a little. He said, “I wonder how those children in Dongguo are doing.”

Li Jungkook  didn’t say anything. He took her in his arms, rubbed her head, and took her away.

Passing by the store, Li Jungkook  waved and said, “Come here, I’ll buy you some candy.”

Song Lisa  shifted her attention in a second. The store was full of snacks from her childhood. She bought a few pieces of string candy and a bag of QQ candy.

Unwrap the candy and put it in your mouth. It tastes sour and sweet.

She took one out and handed it to him. He lowered his head and took it in his mouth, his lips brushing over her fingers.

Her breathing was slightly choked, but it felt like the most natural thing.

He ate candies all the way to his high school. It was class time and the school was quiet except for the occasional sound of text being read aloud from the classroom.

There were people taking a physical education class on the playground, and a few students were taking a skipping rope test on the other side of the courtyard wall.

Song Lisa  stood outside the wall and watched them dance. Suddenly he asked, “Did many girls like you when you were in school?”

Li Jungkook  said, “It’s OK.”

She turned her head and glanced at him: “Have you ever received a love letter?”

He smiled and said, “I have received it.”

“Did you have a crush on a girl at that time?”

He shook his head.

Song Lisa  didn’t ask any more questions and continued watching the skipping rope.

She watched quietly, perhaps imagining what the young Li Jungkook  looked like on this playground, or perhaps recalling her own high school days.

Li Jungkook  hugged her from behind, his chin resting on her temples, and looked at the group of high school students with her.

The sound of the rope hitting the ground, the rhythm of footsteps, the rustling of the treetops in the spring breeze, it was such a beautiful spring afternoon.

She walked with him all the way through the small town, walked through the path of his growth from childhood to adulthood, saw the forest where he caught cicadas when he was a child, and ate the maltose he often ate as a child. It was as if she had travelled through all his past in Jiangcheng in one afternoon and participated in his past.

It was not until sunset that the two returned to the family compound.

It was time to go home from get off work, and Li Jungkook  met many old neighbors. He greeted them one by one. Everyone smiled kindly and looked at Song Lisa  curiously. But no one needed to ask, because Li Jungkook ’s interlocked hands with her said it all.

When she got home, Father Li had already prepared dinner. All the fruits Song Lisa  bought were washed and cut. After all the twists and turns, the fruits finally made it into her stomach.

After dinner, Li Qingchen said to Song Lisa : “Lisa , do you have anything to do tomorrow? If not, play one more day.”

Father Li didn’t know how far their relationship had progressed, he just liked Song Lisa  and wanted to keep her for a while.

When Song Lisa  thought about living here, he thought for a moment, smiled, but didn’t say anything.

Li Jungkook  didn’t express his opinion, but said, “Let’s see if she has work tomorrow.”

The father said, “Okay.”

Li’s father went to clean up the dishes. Li Jungkook  pulled Song Lisa  aside and said, “Don’t be embarrassed to refuse. If you don’t want to play anymore, we can take the evening bus back now.”

Song Lisa  hesitated for a moment and whispered, “I don’t have anything to do tomorrow, so I can play one more day.”