19 • Closely

Li Jungkook  and Song Lisa  continued on their journey.

    The road conditions on the latter part of the journey were extremely bad. Many sections of the road were damaged in the war, and the speed of advancement also dropped rapidly.

    Under the high temperature, the bumpy ride, the scorching heat and fatigue tested people’s endurance.

    After walking for several hours, scattered buildings gradually appeared in the distant wasteland. They were all sand-yellow blockhouses with broken exterior walls and some with blown-off roofs. As they  continued driving forward, the outline of a big city appeared on the horizon, accompanied by the faint sound of artillery fire.

    The two looked at each other and realized that the city of Hapo was ahead.

    Li Jungkook  picked up the helmet and put it on Song Lisa ’s head. He subconsciously clenched his gun and said, “Go south.”

    “Um.”

    There was fighting going on in the north and east of the city, the sound of artillery could be heard from afar, and every once in a while, thick smoke from explosions could be seen rising on the horizon.

    Song Lisa  did not dare to relax and drove carefully around the south of the city. Along the way, large areas of newly dug graves gradually appeared, and some of the dead did not even have a burial place, and were exposed to the sun on the roadside.

    As they headed south, the sound of gunfire faded away, but Song Lisa  couldn’t relax.

    There were no living people on the road, but when the car drove into a street in the southern suburbs, human figures appeared.

    Song Lisa  felt something was wrong, but her hand involuntarily opened the camera and placed it under the windshield.

    The scavengers were dressed in rags and had dishevelled hair, wandering the streets like ghosts. The elderly, men, women, and children were all dirty and downtrodden, wandering aimlessly or huddled in corners.

    As the car passed by, the eyes of these people moved slowly, but without any brilliance.

    A sad and creepy atmosphere permeated the street deeply.

    Song Lisa  was in agony, she gripped the steering wheel tightly and drove forward slowly.

    A woman holding a child appeared on the roadside ahead. Her hands were as thin as bamboo poles due to long-term hunger. The child in her arms was more than three years old, his eyes bulged out from hunger, and he was breathing hard in his mother’s arms.

    Song Lisa  suddenly stepped on the brakes and without saying a word, picked up a backpack from the back seat.

    Li Jungkook  immediately stopped her: “Wait a minute!” But before he could stop her, she had already opened the door and rushed out of the car with her bag.

    Song Lisa  took out a bag of bread and milk from her bag and handed it to the woman.

    The woman hugged her child tightly, her eyes full of vigilance.

    Song Lisa  tried hard to force a smile, opened the plastic bag, put a straw in the milk, and handed it to her again.

    The woman took it hesitantly and gave the milk to the child in her arms. The child scooped it up and started to drink. The woman tore half of the bread for the child and gobbled it up herself.

    Song Lisa  couldn’t bear it, so she took out another bag of bread from his backpack.

    “Reporter Song!” Li Jungkook  got out of the car and shouted at her.