16 • Made A Scene

“What did you say?” Luo Taehyung  stood on the steps at the back door of the hospital, surprised by what Li Jungkook had just said.

    Li Jungkook  closed the back door of the hospital and looked at him: “I said, I want to join the special joint force.”

    The Special Joint Force is a special operations force established by the peacekeeping command with the authorization of the East Government in response to the war situation. It has the same front-line combat rights as the East’s own forces on the battlefield.

    Luo Taehyung  emphasized: “That was a real war.”

    Li Jungkook  smiled and said, “I don’t plan to go out and play either.”

    Luo Taehyung ’s eyes were slightly serious. He glared at him and said, “This needs your instructor’s consent! You are a bomb disposal soldier trained by the Jiangcheng Military Region. If something happens, who can I turn to if the higher-ups ask me for help?”

    Li Jungkook  stopped laughing and said, “Isn’t the purpose of training me for actual combat? What’s the point of hiding in the background all day long?”

    Luo Taehyung  frowned, took out a cigarette, thought for a moment, and said, “I don’t have the final say on this matter. I’ll let you know the result after the troops have discussed it.”

    “Okay.” Li Jungkook  turned and left.

    “Li Jungkook .” Luo Taehyung  called him, “Chen Feng wants you to come here to enrich your resume and make some achievements so that you can be promoted to a higher rank when you return.”

    “If you can remain indifferent in the face of massacre, you can’t be a human being, let alone a soldier.”

    …

    When Song Lisa  returned to the explosion site, the cordon had been removed and the streets had been simply cleaned, but black traces left by large pools of blood could be seen.

    After filming a few videos and preparing to leave, she saw a dirty little boy sitting on the side of the road, hugging himself, pouting his lips, staring stubbornly at the exploding ground, wiping his tears as he watched.

    Song Lisa  took out the apple that she had been reluctant to eat and handed it to him. He looked at her with his shiny black eyes, then looked at the apple, took it, and without saying a word, held the apple tightly in his palm.

    Song Lisa  wanted to touch him, but she didn’t. She turned and left.

    That night, Song Lisa  was sorting through photos in the hotel. One of them shocked her greatly—a soldier picked up a dead child from a pile of rubble and corpses. She did not process the photo in any way and directly posted it on Twitter with the title CARRY.

    Just after posting it, a message came in from a reporter from the British XX News Agency, asking if they could reprint it. Song Lisa  replied that she agreed, and new messages came in, with people constantly applying for reprinting, so she simply gave the authorization publicly.

    At this time, there was a knock on the door. It was Sahin.

    Song Lisa  hadn’t seen him all day and was worried: “Are you okay today?”

    “At least I’m still alive.” Sasin shrugged, his smile helpless and bitter.

    “I’m sorry about the explosion.”

    “No need. This country has already gone through enough disasters like this. However, I thought Garo was at least safe, but it seems that’s not the case anymore.”

    Song Lisa  didn’t know how to comfort him.

    “Song, I’m here to say goodbye to you.”

    Song Lisa  was surprised: “Where are you going?”

    “I want to be closer to the war,” said the young man, who had just turned twenty. “I don’t want to stay behind. I want to go to Hapo.”

    Hapo is located on the border and is the site of a three-way battle between positive, negative and extremist forces.

    The road ahead was dangerous, and Song Lisa  felt infinitely sad: “Sasin, please be safe.”

    “May peace be with you too, Song. I’ll be praying for you.”

    Song Lisa  slept very badly that night.

    She was helpless against the cruelty of human beings and the insignificance of life. She felt like she was cast on an isolated island in the East Country, in the wilderness, far away from civilization. But she couldn’t even pick up a pen to write down her emotions.

    She tossed and turned until late at night before falling asleep. She was woken up by a phone call from Liu Yufei the next morning and realized that something big had happened.

    Liu Yufei said that the photo CARRY has spread all over the world, and asked her to prepare to connect with the domestic news immediately and do a live news interview. Before hanging up the phone, he said: “Song Lisa , do a good job. The station will support you.”

    Song Lisa  was confused and didn’t understand what was going on. She finished washing up, set up the equipment and connected to the live studio. This time the connection lasted a long time, nearly five minutes. Song Lisa  was confused, but she also calmly answered the host’s questions.

    After the connection was completed, she took some time to go online and found that the photo had become popular.

    The photo was published on the front pages of European and American countries, and the title she gave it was used. Her original photo received millions of likes and reposts, and the comment section was flooded with texts from various countries.

    Domestic work groups were also flooded with messages.

    Xiao Qiu: “Do you know what the British newspaper xx said? They said this is a photo that changed history.”

    Song Lisa : “It’s not that exaggerated… XX newspaper has always used this tone when writing news.”

    Xiaodong: “But that photo was taken so well, I was moved to tears when I saw it! I wanted to cry so much!”

    Xiaochun: “The international media’s enthusiasm for the East Country War had been cooling down recently, but it’s heating up again now, and you deserve credit for that!”

    Song Lisa  didn’t realize how big of a deal this was and prepared to put his phone down and go to work.

    At this time, Shen Jennie contacted her privately and asked about the interview on the peacekeeping soldiers’ mine clearance.

    That episode hasn’t aired yet, but Shen Jennie watched the editing in advance. Song Lisa ’s filming material is very good, including mine clearance, running up the hill, carrying wheat, and giving lectures. There are tensions and comforts. The leader praised that it showed the most realistic life and work of the peacekeepers.

    Shen Jennie asked: “Is your work going well over there?”

    “It went pretty smoothly.”

    “Is it hard to follow along?”

    “It’s okay. It’s just that the weather is very hot.” Song Lisa  typed while guessing her purpose.

    “Are they easy to get along with?”

    “Everything is fine.”

    Song Lisa  waited for a while, but Shen Jennie didn’t continue.

    She felt inexplicably uneasy. Her shooting of Li Jungkook  was just work, Shen Jennie shouldn’t be that sensitive.

    She felt a little guilty, but then she thought again, she had done nothing and had a clear conscience.

    For the next three days, Song Lisa  did not go to the base again.

    It was not until the fourth day that the hotel receptionist told her that Luo Taehyung  had something to discuss with her and asked her to go over.

    A few days had passed since the explosion, and the injured soldiers had long been discharged from the hospital and returned to their units. The haze that had enveloped the city was also gradually dissipating.

    It was dusk, and the setting sun was slanting, pricking the skin like tiny needles.

    I wonder when this damn place will cool down. Song Lisa  was thinking, and suddenly she heard a commotion in front of him. It turned out that a few soldiers were making a fuss in the vegetable field.

    Li Jungkook  was there too, wearing a military green T-shirt and camouflage pants, catching chickens with a few comrades.

    “Fuck! He ran away again!”

    “Blocking! Where are you blocking?”

    The young men were usually good at defusing landmines with guns, but now they were helpless against a big hen. Everyone chased and blocked it, but the hen was very agile, sometimes burrowing under the cucumber vines, sometimes jumping onto the loofah racks, flying and running, flapping its wings, and chicken feathers flying everywhere.

    Song Lisa  couldn’t help laughing and turned on the camera to record this relaxing moment.

    As she was filming, the hen took a runaway route and pounced on the camera. Song Lisa  backed away, protecting the camera, and saw the hen ramming towards her head. Li Jungkook  took aim and grabbed its wings.

    The hen flapped its wings desperately, and a bunch of feathers fell on Song Lisa ’s head.

    Li Jungkook  grabbed the chicken’s wings, and it completely gave up struggling and lowered its head obediently.

    “Are you okay?” he asked.

    “It’s okay.” Song Lisa  quickly looked up at him, then lowered her head to pick the chicken feathers out of her hair.

    Li Jungkook  raised his hand to help her pick it up; she caught a glimpse of it out of the corner of her eye and turned her head away pretending not to know.

    As it happened, Luo Taehyung , who was standing at the door of the office, asked with a smile: “Reporter Song, did you get any good footage?”

    “Just catch the chicken.” She took the opportunity to walk away from Li Jungkook .

    Li Jungkook  handed the chicken in his hand to his comrade and looked at Song Lisa .

    Luo Taehyung  said, “The episode about mine clearance hasn’t been aired yet, right?”

    “Not yet. Not until Saturday.”

    “Okay. Help these guys spread the word.” He joked, “and find a wife at the same time.”

    Song Lisa  also joked and asked for a reward: “If I help, what benefits can the team give me?”

    Luo Taehyung  thought about it and said, “Let’s put it this way. If you like someone in this camp, no matter who it is, as long as they are not married, just ask and the organization will arrange it for you!”

    “Wow!” A group of soldiers cheered loudly.

    Song Lisa ’s face turned red instantly.

    Li Jungkook  sat by the edge of the field and glanced at Song Lisa  quietly. Her face was as red as a tomato.

    Luo Taehyung  laughed: “Why are you blushing? Could it be that you really have a crush on someone? Tell me, I’ll make the decision for you.”

    Song Lisa  frowned: “Political Commissar, do you have any business? I’m leaving now!”

    “Okay, okay, I won’t tease you anymore. Let’s go into the office.”

    Luo Taehyung  turned around and went into the house. A group of soldiers who were familiar with Song Lisa  were still unwilling to give in. They sat on the ground and whistled and made a scene. Song Lisa  turned around and glared at them, picked up a piece of mud and threw it at Soldier A.

    “Oh my god!” Soldier A was quick-witted and raised his hand to block the mud. The mud broke and exploded, and the largest piece hit Li Jungkook ’s head.

    “…” Li Jungkook  looked innocent and opened his eyes slightly towards Song Lisa .

    Song Lisa : “…”

    She said nothing and turned and went into the office.

    Li Jungkook  lowered his head and slowly brushed the dirt off his hair. As he brushed it off, the corners of his lips curved up.

    On the side, the comrades were extremely happy and whispered to each other.

    Soldier A: “Hey, don’t you think reporter Song is cute?”

    Soldier B: “I noticed it a long time ago. She’s so cute. She can’t stand being teased. She blushes when I tease her.”

    Soldier C: “I just think she’s quite gentle, hehe.” Turning his head, “A-Jungkook , right?”

    “…” Li Jungkook  said, “I haven’t had much contact with her. I don’t know.”

    After a few seconds, he silently added, “She’s very serious and reliable at work.”

    Soldier D interrupted: “Hey! Let me tell you when she is the cutest. When she is filming seriously and you suddenly go up to her and call out ‘Reporter Song!’ She is so scared that she turns her head to look at you. That expression is so adorable that I want to pinch her face.”

    Before he could finish his words, he was beaten up by the people around him: “You are a hooligan!”

    Soldier D covered his head and said, “You can’t even think about it?”

    “No way!”

    Everyone was in a commotion, and Li Jungkook  was spinning around with a piece of vegetable leaf in his hand.

    He thought about the scene they described and couldn’t imagine it.

    …

    In the office, Luo Taehyung  explained his intention to Song Lisa .

    They were going to send a soldier to a special joint force, and since it would be the first Chinese soldier to join the team, they hoped that Song Lisa  would report to the team for training.

    Luo Taehyung  said: “We have other radio reporters stationed here, but the content you produce is more down-to-earth and not so preachy. Both the superiors and the audience like it very much. So I would like to ask for your help this time as well.”

    Song Lisa  was flattered: “How can you say it’s a help? I’m honored to be given this opportunity.”

    Luo Taehyung  smiled: “That’s good. I’ll trouble you to follow Li Jungkook  for the interview in the next two days.”

    Song Lisa  was stunned: “Li… Lieutenant?”

    “Yes. Second Lieutenant Li is an excellent soldier, and his superiors think highly of him. He is also representing the country in this team. Song Lisa , you must take good pictures.”

    Song Lisa  nodded slowly: “Yeah.”

    …

    The next morning, Song Lisa  rushed to the gate of the base, and Li Jungkook  also arrived.

    The training site is located at the U.S. military base, just one street away and can be reached quickly on foot.

    It was 7:30 in the morning and the sun was shining brightly, but the city had not yet woken up and there were no other pedestrians on the streets.

    The two walked side by side, quietly, with only the rustling of fallen leaves underfoot. Song Lisa  would occasionally lower her head to fiddle with the camera in her hand to ease the embarrassment in her heart.

    Li Jungkook  suddenly asked, “Is your place far from here?”

    “Ah?” She looked up at him, then looked away. “Not far. Turn left and walk two blocks. You’ll be there.”

    “The government forces are losing ground and the situation in Garo is not good. Try not to go out on the streets unless necessary.”

    Song Lisa  nodded: “Oh. Got it.”

    After a few seconds, Li Jungkook  suddenly laughed and said, “You still know how to run around, right?”

    “…” Song Lisa  touched his ear, “I’m a reporter… How can I stay in a hotel every day?”

    “That’s right. I haven’t seen you these past few days. I guess you went shopping.”

    “…” She answered politely, “There are many things I want to record, and it’s not easy to stay in the barracks every day.”

    “That’s right.” He said no more.

    Walking past the intersection, Song Lisa  looked up at him unintentionally. The sunlight shone on his face, making his face look more handsome. As she was looking at him, he turned around and met her eyes.

    Her heart tightened, she pointed at the scabs on his face and neck, and said, “Are you okay?”

    He touched it casually and didn’t care: “It’s okay.”

    “Will it leave scars?”

    He laughed: “Men don’t care about this.”

    When they arrived at the gate of the U.S. military base, while Li Jungkook  was waiting for the information to be verified, Song Lisa  was taking pictures nearby – she had never been there before.

    The American soldier on guard said that they could go in. Li Jungkook  turned around to call Song Lisa , but saw that she was still filming seriously.

    He looked at her for a long while, not knowing what to think for a moment. He slowly walked over and stood a few steps away from her. Suddenly, he called out loudly:

    “Reporter Song!”

    “Ah?” She was startled and turned around hurriedly, her expression confused and surprised, “What?”

    Li Jungkook  stared at her, then smiled, pointed his chin inside, and said, “You can go in.”

    “oh.”

    He followed her, and couldn’t help but chuckle when he thought of that expression.

    …

    Song Lisa  turned off the camera before entering the yard. Unauthorized photography is not allowed here.

    The military camps here are not much different from the Chinese garrisons, but the soldiers coming and going give people a clear sense of difference – white people have a natural advantage in body shape, and soldiers appear to be taller and stronger.

    The soldiers gathered at the training ground came from seven countries. Except for Li Jungkook , the rest were all white Europeans and American blacks. Li Jungkook  was as tall as them, but not as strong as them.

    As the only Asian on the team, Li Jungkook  was naturally treated in a lot of special ways – when he was crawling forward, dust was kicked in his face maliciously, his shoulders were stepped on when he was climbing over the wall, his teammates did not provide him with cover during simulated combat, and he was repeatedly “accidentally killed”…

    Especially the American soldier named Jimin , who never stopped making small moves and making fun of him.

    Song Lisa  witnessed all this and felt aggrieved, but she didn’t express her opinion. This was a military camp, a place for men to compete. If she interrupted and complained, it would only make the situation more embarrassing.

    The instructor was British and turned a blind eye to it.

    Fortunately, Li Jungkook  did not show any resentment and persisted patiently for the whole day. Surprisingly, his results were not too far behind and he ranked among the top three.

    When the team dispersed in the evening, the “special treatment” had not yet ended.

    As soon as the instructor dismissed the troops, Jimin  joked to a French soldier: “Their country is very interesting. They send women as war correspondents and as soldiers on the battlefield.”

    Song Lisa  was about to turn off the machine, but frowned when she heard this.

    At this moment, Li Jungkook ’s expression changed a little. He clenched his jaw and looked at Jimin  with a fierce look for a moment, but it relaxed in an instant.

    Li Jungkook  walked past Jimin  quietly without saying a word.

    But Jimin  noticed his gaze, smiled and patted his shoulder: “Madam, do you disagree with what I said?”

    Before he finished speaking, Li Jungkook  suddenly grabbed his arm and threw him over his shoulder. Jimin  turned over, but did not fall. Instead, he threw Li Jungkook  back the moment he stood firm. Li Jungkook  was prepared and quickly circled around to avoid it, then got behind him and grabbed his neck. Jimin  immediately squatted and ran away.

    Neither of them could control the opponent with one move, and they quickly let go of each other, creating a distance of two to three meters.

    The training ground was dusty.

    “Wow!!!” The surrounding soldiers scattered and formed a circle.

    Li Jungkook  looked directly at Jimin , and tore off his bulletproof vest, harness, and pistol, and threw them all on the ground.

    This is a signal of challenge.

    “Oh!!!” the surrounding soldiers cheered loudly.

    Jimin  laughed and started to take off his vest as well.

    Song Lisa  was afraid that things would get out of hand: “Second Lieutenant Li… this…”

    Li Jungkook  turned around and pointed at her: “Stop taking pictures!”

    Song Lisa  froze in place, not daring to move forward.

    Li Jungkook  removed all the hangers, daggers and guns on his arms and legs And threw them on the ground; all he was left with was a military uniform, military boots and combat gloves.

    Facing Benjamin, who had also taken off his equipment, he clenched his fists, ready to attack at any time.

    Jiminwas equally prepared to face the enemy, and even the instructor stood by and watched.

    Jiminattacked first. He quickly stepped forward and punched Li Jungkook  on the right cheek. Li Jungkook  turned around and dodged, and kicked Benjamin’s left leg, which the latter also dodged easily.

    The soldiers in the circle shouted “oh oh” and gave their support.

    Song Lisa  stared at Li Jungkook , not daring to breathe.

    After a brief mutual test, the two quickly got into the mood.

    Jimin was serious. He took two steps forward at high speed and punched Li Jungkook  in the temple. Li Jungkook  barely dodged it, and another punch came in succession, grazing his jaw. Li Jungkook  twisted his arm and rushed forward, knocking him to the ground and rolling several times. Yellow sand was flying, and everyone wanted to get up first and seize the opportunity, but each of them restrained the other, dragging the other to the ground one after another.

    There was a lot of noise around, and all the American soldiers who were training nearby came to watch.

    The two men wrestled, and suddenly, Jimin kicked Li Jungkook  in the abdomen, got up from the ground and stepped on his chest.

    Li Jungkook  rolled away swiftly, and with a sweeping kick, he hit Benjamin’s supporting leg, knocking him to the ground. Just as Jimin was about to stand up, Li Jungkook  jumped up, smashed him with his elbow, and pressed down on his chest; with his other hand, he quickly grabbed Benjamin’s shoe, pulled out the “dagger” stuck in the shoe, and instantly “stabbed” Benjamin’s throat.

    As the knife fell, Jimin stopped moving completely, with his hands raised.

    Li Jungkook  gently lowered his clenched fist and cut a line across his throat – “cut throat”.

    It was deathly quiet all around.

    Li Jungkook  took a deep breath, pushed Jimin away and stood up.

    After a few seconds of silence, applause suddenly broke out from the crowd.

    Li Jungkook  wiped the dust off his head and face, walked to the side, picked up the vests, pistols, gun guards and other equipment scattered on the ground one by one, glanced at Song Lisa  who was stunned at the side, and said, “Let’s go.”