~7~

"Hey, did you guys know we had a study abroad program?" Bree asked as she walked over to Adam, Chase, Leo, and I. We were all sitting on the small bench in the main hall. Chase, Leo, and I were on the top of the bench while Adam sat on the bottom, furthest away from Bree.

"Why would I go to another country to do something I don't do here?" Adam asked, earning a supportive smile from Leo.

"Look, it says you get to spend a whole semester at a high school in Australia." She explained, showing Chase, Leo, and I the pamphlet she held.  A smile grew on her face as she took a small step back. "And guess what? I applied!" She told us, the excitement on her face almost contagious.

"That's great!" I smiled.

"Cool! Kelly Porter went last year. She got sucker punched by a kangaroo." Leo said with a nod and a smile, making Bree's grin fade a bit.

"I thought she got mauled by a koala?" I asked Leo, leaning over to Chase to look at him.

"No, that was her sister, Marsha." He replied as he shook her head.

"Well, alright. I guess we're going to Australia." Adam exclaimed with a grin.

"Count me out. Have you seen the size of the spiders there? They're like, this big." I said, holding my hands up to Chases face.

"I feel like you're exaggerating." Chase told me, pushing my hands away from his face. I shrugged.

"Uh, no, no, no. No way, this is my thing. I mean, I can finally be on my own, I can study, travel, make new friends." Bree went on until Chase cut her off.

"Mmm, I hate to be a wet blanket-" He began.

"No, you don't." Leo and I interrupted as Chase stood up. I took his spot and scooted closer to Leo. He glared at us before looking back at Bree.

"But Mr. Davenport is never gonna let you do this. You can't go on missions if you're halfway across the world." Chase told her. Unfortunately, I agreed with Chase. As much as I though Bree deserved to get to go, I knew Mr. Davenport would never let her.

"Well, sure I can." She argued. "I mean, I haven't figured out all the details yet, but there's gotta be a way to make it work." She tried before Leo stood from the bench as well.

"Not unless these two can unlock a new ability to make up for you not being here." Leo shrugged as Adam and I both stood as well.

"Ooh! Maybe I can unlock an ability where I disappear and reappear somewhere else. Let me try." Adam suggested before squatting with his arms out, his hands in fists, and began grunting loudly. He squeezed his eyes shut as he did so. "Did it work?" He asked when he opened his eyes.

"You didn't do it long enough." Chase replied. "Try it again, this time more grunting." Adam immediately began again, this time even louder. Chase motioned for us to follow him around the bench and behind Adam. We waited there for a moment before Adam turned and opened his eyes.

"You did it!" Chase said as we all cheered, holding our arms out in fake celebration.

***

The next morning, I was sitting by Davenports office in the living room with Chase. He was practicing on his guitar while I read a book. Well, I tried too, but he was way to distracting with a guitar. Without the guitar, too.

"Are you gonna start drooling?" Chase teased when he caught me staring. My cheeks turned a dark pink as I looked back at my book.

"No, I was gonna ask what you've done with my nerdy boyfriend, because he's obviously not sitting next to me." I replied with an eye roll as I pretend to read my book. Before I could even react, he snatched my book out of my hands and held it away from me.