CHAPTER 15: The Hallowe'en Birthday Boy

It was Monday, but I was looking forward to it

It was Monday, but I was looking forward to it. Not only because it was Halloween and a great feast awaited in the evening, but because of something much more important on a personal level.

"OMINIS!!!!!" I yelled as I hugged him from behind. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!"

We were at the Herbology class, and the other students were just arriving.

"Merlin, Carolyn, I was almost pointing my wand at you as a reflex. Don't ever do this again," he said as he released himself from my embrace.

He had a serious expression on, as always, but he was blushing.

I cackled. "I know you wouldn't hurt me. And was it that bad, though?"

He sighed and said, "It was... tolerable. But only because it is you. If you ever share this idea with Sebastian, his fate would not be so promising."

"I was the first to wish you a happy birthday, then? Since we are the only ones in our close friends' group taking this class," I asked him.

"Indeed, you were. And I appreciate it, dear. Thank you." The corner of his mouth faintly curled up in the most discreet smile possible.

Still, a smile, nonetheless. It was rewarding to crack his armour sometimes. It made my day.

Professor Garlick had just arrived. "Hello hello! Dear roses in my garden! Or should I say, beloved pumpkins! Happy Halloween!"

She had changed her usual green robes into an orange and purple garment. Her presence was the kind that lightened up the room, like a fairy.

"This woman is insufferable," Ominis whispered at my side.

I held back my laughter and whispered back. "So why are you even taking this class? Sebastian didn't drag you into this one."

"It was either this or History of Magic. An easy choice," he mumbled.

The class topic was, to no one's surprise, pumpkins. Professor Garlick elaborated on their cultivation, proprieties, and applications. Then, we were supposed to work in pairs to carve one to celebrate the holiday.

"What is even the point of this? I can't even see how mine will look like," Ominis whispered to me, crossing his arms in front of his body.

"I can take care of this, don't worry, Ominis," I replied excitedly. "This will be my birthday gift for you - Releasing you from the burden of doing something fun."

As I cast Diffindo in horrendous attempts to form a face at the squash, Ominis shoved his hand in his pocket and pulled out a box of candies. "Snacks? Help yourself," he offered.

"What are those?" I hesitated to put my hand inside the box because the candy appeared to be moving.

"Licorice snaps, dear. Careful, they can bite," he explained, sounding rather amused. "But I will understand if you don't have the guts to do it."