57

Cayden walks around the corridor, patrolling. He is still a Prefect after all. He turns his head at the exact time he sees someone walk by. He sighs and starts walking after the student, he was surprised to see that the student is Harry.

Guess he'll just follow Harry and see what he's doing, and if he has good reason to be out so late.

Mr. Filch and Mrs. Norris passed Harry, who was unseen by the caretaker and his cat.

Cayden stops, watching Harry kneel down, extending his hand to the ground and doing something just as the Aurors pass over him and vanish. Harry stood up, walking in a direction, but stopped at the last second and headed the opposite way.

Cayden listens to Harry's hums, still following after him with his wand out just in case there's danger in the corner of the corridor. He stops when he sees Professor Slughorn hunched over a plant, approaching Harry and Professor Slughorn, the latter having noticed Harry when the Gryffindor looks over his shoulder.

"Merlin's beard, Harry!" Professor Slughorn exclaimed, jumping in surprise at the sight of the Gryffindor. He takes notice of the Hufflepuff Prefect, who is slowly approaching them. "Cayden." He greeted, nodding.

Cayden returns the gesture, looking at Harry who is looking at him with a smile before the Gryffindor turns his attention to Professor Slughorn.

"Sorry, sir. I should've announced myself. Cleared my throat. Coughed. You probably feared I was Madam Sprout." Harry said.

"Well, yes, actually--" Professor Slughorn cuts himself off, looking down at Harry. "Why would you think that?"

"Just the general behavior, sir. The sneaking around. The jumping when you saw us. By the way, those Tentacula leaves -- they're quite valuable, aren't they?" Harry asked. Cayden raised an eyebrow at Professor Slughorn.

"Ten galleons a leaf to the right buyer -- not that I'm familiar with such back alley transactions. One hears rumors is all. My own interests are purely academic, of course." Professor Slughorn said, giving the Prefect a small smile.

"Personally, these plants have always kind of freaked me out." Harry said truthfully, giving a little shiver of the shoulders and smiles.

Cayden and Professor Slughorn cocks their heads, studying the Gryffindor oddly.

"Exactly how did you get out of the castle, Harry?" Professor Slughorn asked.

"Through the front doors, sir. I'm off to Hagrid's, you see. He's a very dear friend and I felt like paying him a visit. So if you don't mind, I'll be going." Harry said, starting to walk away from Cayden and Professor Slughorn who looks at each other.

"Harry!" Professor Slughorn exclaimed, stopping the Gryffindor.

"Sir?" Harry questioned, turning to look at Cayden and Professor Slughorn.

"It's nearly nightfall. Surely you realize we can't allow you to roam the grounds all by yourself." Professor Slughorn said.

"Well, then by all means come along." Harry said, walking away.

Cayden and Professor Slughorn look at each other again, then sigh and trail after the Gryffindor.

≪ °❈° ≫

"Harry, I must insist you accompany me back to the castle immediately!" Professor Slughorn, huffing and puffing to keep up with Harry. He was glad to have Cayden walking beside him just in case he decided to fall over.

"That would be counterproductive, sir." Harry said.

"And what makes you say that?" Cayden asked.