Side Track: Shu x Bear

"This is an indoor playground where we can play while the weather is bad. Here, sometimes, we'll gather together for a movie session or book reading..." Shu happily twirls around the corner. "And, of course it's my favorite spot since Uncle Zee always sits here to read us books. He's a good story teller, the best one!"

Bear watches how Shu really adores Zee. She sounds like she's mesmerizes him so much! Like Zee is her knight in shining armour.

"Do you like Uncle Zee that much?"

"Yes, I see him as my father..." Shu gives a vague smile. She looks down, playing with her feet.

"Father?"

"The first time we met, I'm pretty sure I can look up on him. He was so cool when he gave me some moral support," Shu grins.

"Moral support?"

"It was for my sports day. I told him, my team always lost. He gave me some words that help me gain my spirit..." Shu points her finger at the Hall Of Fame spot. "For the first time, we won the championship."

Bear glares at the picture that Shu points to him. She was holding a winner cup along with her friends.

"Since then, you always look up to him, huh?" Bear asks.

"Yes. Not only that. Sometimes, I feel like I can bond with him so easily, compared to anyone that I met before," Shu replies. Those words, coming from a 4 year old kids, make them seem bombastic.

"I keep thinking how is you and your father's relationship. Is it the same like you and Uncle Zee?" Bear asks. "Is he getting jealous that you admire Uncle Zee more than him?"Bear teases Shu.

Instead of laughing, Shu releases a deep sigh.

"I never know my father. From the start, it's only me and Ma. And Aunt Mei, Aunt Sofia, Uncle Dan and Win."

Shu's answer makes Bear chokes. The whole context enlights Bear the reason why she adores Zee so much. She never knew the happiness of having a father, now that Zee is coming into a picture, she finally feels the paternal love for the first time.

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't be. Ma said, don't let people feel sorry for you. You gonna grow up weak. Feel sad for one day and strive the next day," Shu replies.

"Your Ma seems to be a pretty unique mother..."

"She's the coolest. Ambitious but lovely," the little one chimes.

Bear smiles when he sees sparkles from Shu's eyes when she mentions her mother.

"You wanna know something, Uncle?"

Bear nods.

"Once, I pray to God that my Ma will end up marrying Uncle Zee. So, he can be my father forever. I know they are just friends, but, anything is possible as long as you believe in it," Shu looks up to the sky while clamping her hands.

Bear stares at the girl. The one who forced to be a grown up when it's not her time to be one. The one who got raised by a cool people around her that taught her how the world works. The one who has her own mindset about everything.

Shu makes Bear remembers someone with almost similar features. He doesn't know the person well, but they did meet several times. From the, Bear can see the resemblance.

"You reminds me of Ylang,"

"Ylang? Who? Your sister?"

"No. Ylang is Uncle Zee's sister. She is sassy, just like you. I met her a few times, but I can already see her in you," Bear replies.

"She's lucky to have Uncle Zee as her brother," suddenly, Shu feels gloomy.

Bear shakes his head faintly. He taps Shu's shoulder and smile.

"Hey, you are lucky, too! Uncle Zee is here now and you spend a lot of time with him, right?" Bear says. "To be honest, actually, the most luckiest person is Uncle Zee, because he got both his sister and you in his life. Both of you are the reason why he keeps moving on in his life," Bear rubs Shu's head a few times.

"Is it true?"

Bear nods.

"I never see him being so happy like now.  Now I know why. So, can you promise me, little girl?" asks Bear.

Shu nods.

"Me and my boyfriend love our friend so much. Can we take care of him together?" Bear smiles, looking at Shu.

The girl finally draws a smile on her face. She nods and she entwines her pinky with Bear.

"I promise," she says.

Both of them exchange looks and smile to each other.

"Ter..."

Ta's summoning voice makes them turn their head towards the entrance of the room. Ta is standing there, looking at them in a plain expression.

"Uncle Bear, I think, your boyfriend is ready to go home..."

Bear watches Ta from his spot.

"Yes. We'll meet each other soon. It's nice to meet you, Shu," Bear sticks out his hand for a handshake. Shu grabs the slender hand and shake his hand in tiny.

Bear slowly rises up and walking towards Ta. The man keeps his eyesight at Shu.

"Did you get what you need?"

Ta slowly glances at Bear. He nods slowly. Bear smiles and grabs Ta's hand. They leave the kindergarten together, hand in hand.

But still, Ta can't even take his eyes off from Shu.