Chapter XVI: Conscience

Antonnia's management team received a lucrative offer for a new project that promised to elevate her career to new heights. However, the project came with a significant stipulation: she would need to move to South Korea for extensive training and, according to a strict clause, maintain no personal relationships during the duration of the project.

"We have an offer that could be a game-changer for your career. But there's a catch."

"What is it?" Antonnia asks in her curious tone

"You'd need to relocate to South Korea for the training. And there's a clause in the contract—no relationships during the project."

"No relationships? That's ridiculous." she was taken aback

"I understand it's a lot to ask, but this could really take your career to the next level."

"I need to think about it." she sighs

She left the meeting feeling torn. The opportunity was incredible, but the thought of leaving Michelle and having to hide their relationship even more weighed heavily on her mind.

That evening, she sat down with her to discuss the news.

"I got an offer for a project in South Korea. It could be huge for my career."

"That’s amazing! But you don’t seem excited."

"There’s a clause. I can’t have any personal relationships while I’m there." she hesitates to say it

Michelle frowns "What does that mean for us?"

"I don’t know. I hate the idea of being apart, or pretending you don’t exist in my life."

She takes her hand "We’ll figure it out. Your career is important, and we’ve been through tough situations before."

Antonnia squeezed her hand."I don’t want to lose you over this."

Antonnia struggled with the decision, weighing the potential benefits of the project against the stringent restrictions. Ultimately, the offer was too invasive, requiring not only that she live in South Korea under strict supervision but also that she cut off all overseas calls, effectively isolating her from  Michelle.

One evening, she sat down with her to discuss her final decision.

"I've made up my mind about the project."

"Okay, what did you decide?"

"I'm not going to accept it. The restrictions are too much. I can't bear the thought of being guarded all the time and not being able to talk to you."

Michelle was concerned. "But this is a huge opportunity for you. Are you sure you're making the right choice?"

"I know it's a big deal, but I can't let them control every aspect of my life. I want to be with you, and I can't do that if I'm cut off from everyone."

"I understand, but I don't want to hold you back. You’ve worked so hard for your career."

"You're not holding me back. This is my decision, and it’s final. My career is important, but so is my happiness. I can’t sacrifice one for the other." she says firmly

Michelle sighed, seeing the determination her eyes. She knew that once Antonnia made up her mind, there was no changing it.

"Alright. I support you, no matter what. Just promise me you won't regret it."

"I won't. We’ll find another way to achieve my dreams without these crazy conditions." she smiles softly

_________________________________________________