Part 16

I shift in bed, adjusting to a more comfortable position. "You know," I begin, a small smile playing on my lips, "if someone had told me a week ago that we'd be here like this, I would've laughed in their face. We couldn't stand each other back then." Peter chuckles, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah, no kidding. I think I counted at least five times you glared at me just for breathing too loudly." I laugh, a light, airy sound that feels good after all the tension. 

"And you, with your constant need to one-up me in every training session." "Hey, I was just trying to keep up with you," he defends, grinning. "You're kind of amazing, you know." I roll my eyes but can't help but smile. "You're not so bad yourself, Parker." We're interrupted by the soft click of the door opening. A worker in scrubs walks in, carrying a tray with what looks like lunch. They set it down on the table beside me with a kind nod before leaving the room.

I glance at the tray but don't feel much like eating. My stomach is still in knots from everything that happened. I resume talking to Peter, trying to ignore the food. "Yn," Peter's voice is gentle but firm. "You need to eat something. You need your strength." I shake my head slightly. "I'm not really hungry." He sighs, looking at me with those earnest eyes. 

"Just try, okay? For me?" He picks up the fork and holds it out to me. I take it reluctantly and poke at the food. Peter stays patient, watching me with a mix of encouragement and concern. Finally, I take a small bite, then another. Before I know it, I've eaten half of the meal.

"See? Not so bad," Peter says, a hint of triumph in his voice. I give him a mock glare. "Alright, alright. You win this round." He laughs, the sound warm and genuine. "Good. Now, let's get you better so we can go back to kicking each other's butts once we're out." I smile, feeling a warmth in my chest that has nothing to do with the food. 

"Deal." We continue talking, sharing stories and laughing about the absurdity of our past arguments. It's strange how quickly things can change, how someone who was once an adversary can become a friend, even a protector. For the first time in a while, I feel like everything might just be okay.