Flame

A couple of days passed without incident. You and Owen went from Egg Watch to training to free time to sleep. The days felt a bit tense, but you had passed Sophia's office a few times and heard no more mention of it. You had begun to relax. You and Owen were sitting in the room with the single egg, talking quietly with each other.

"I think it's safe to assume our plans worked by now," Owen said quietly.

You nodded slowly.

 "There's not been any more talk about it, and Sophia seems preoccupied." You replied. 

You opened your mouth to say something else when you heard a beeping sound from the incubator. Both of your heads snapped around to the incubator, and you saw the egg was starting to hatch. You got up from your seat and pressed the blue button on the wall. A lab worker hurried in to check the egg. Both you and Owen paced outside like worried parents before the red light on the wall turned green, and you were allowed back inside. The baby raptor was looking all around, the broken shell lying next to it. Its little claw was still gripping onto a piece of shell. Most people wouldn't get emotional over such a thing, but you were so connected to raptors you started to cry.

You turned your face away so Owen couldn't see your tears, but that didn't stop him.

"Are you crying?" Owen asked gently, though you could hear the amusement in his voice.

"I'm fine." You sniffled.

You risked a glance at Owen and saw a soft smile on his features.

"You really love these animals, don't you?" He asked.

You nodded slowly, and he wiped away your tears with the back of his hand.

"We've got to raise this little guy well." You said, clearing your throat as it cracked.

Owen chuckled softly.

"We will." He said confidently.

He smirked at you a little.

"You know this makes us parents." He teased.

You rolled your eyes and laughed a little.

The raptor grew at a rapid speed, and both you and Owen started hands-on training. Owen named the young raptor 'Flame' after his feisty temperament. He was pretty attached to the little guy, and eventually, Indigo and Sapphire were brought in to say hello. Sapphire didn't take too well to the new addition, but she didn't dare hurt Flame. She could see the bond between him and Owen.

Only about a month after hatching, Flame was wandering about with the older two. They'd shown him the ropes and welcomed him into the pack. The roles had shifted around, with you remaining Alpha, but Owen had now become Beta. The raptors had a lot of respect for your male co-worker. You and Owen had grown close over the time since he had arrived at the park. Being the only trainers, you two spent all of your work time together and your free time.

You were training Flame in the training area with Indigo and Sapphire. Flame had learnt all of the basics. He was still too small for some of the trust exercises, but you and Owen were so proud of him. Indigo had taken to the little one almost instantly; the two seemed inseparable. They'd even roughed up a couple of new interns together. Unfortunately, both of them had quit the next day. Owen was currently trying to teach Flame one of the more advanced tricks.

"Flame, head down, boy," Owen commanded.

He followed it up with some of the clicking noises you had taught him. Flame bent down on command.

"Now jump!" Owen told him.

Flame sprang up on command and propelled himself forwards over a fake wall, spinning around to face you both again.

"Good boy, Flame!" You both cheered.

Owen was so excited he picked you up and swung you around; you were a little surprised, but you were both laughing with joy.

"He did it!" You grinned.

Owen nodded vigorously, hands still on your sides from when he had lifted you. Even though it was normal for Flame to pick up tricks easily, it still made you both incredibly proud. Owen grasped you in a bear hug for a moment, almost crushing your internal organs, before releasing you. He chuckled, and you both went over to Flame to praise him more. Flame loved the attention. Even Indigo joined in, nuzzling Flame and butting him playfully with her head. Sapphire stood in the corner, eyes studying the group carefully. After a moment, she turned on her tail and stalked from the arena, slipping away unnoticed.

The celebrations ended abruptly as frantic shouting rang through both your and Owen's earpieces.

"Help! She's gone crazy! Help!"

A sickening scream roared. You and Owen bolted from the training area. You were used to running to help people, but that was when the two mischievous raptors got to the interns. There was never screaming or crying. You both stopped dead when you saw the scene in front of you. Your hand flew up to cover your mouth as you saw Sapphire standing over a lab worker's body, her mouth and claws stained with blood. You almost threw up. Your eyes filled with tears. Owen seemed speechless; he hadn't expected this of her. He'd known the raptors weren't completely safe, but Sapphire had always seemed the least likely to do something like this. He didn't notice you'd moved until he heard the smash of glass. You had broken the emergency panel on the wall and retrieved a large gun. Your eyes were streaming as you pointed it towards the raptor. She tilted her head as if to taunt you. You had to swallow your emotions for just a second, or everyone could be in danger. Sapphire opened her mouth and let out a challenging roar. You closed your eyes.

Bang.