Shadows

You sat in the shadows of the cold, dark room. You had been there for around an hour, nothing so far. It was getting increasingly colder as the night progressed. You ended up huddling with Owen for warmth. Owen seemed to be incredibly focused for the first hour and a half, and then he started to get bored and ended up trying to mess with you. His arm was looped around your waist, resting on your side to keep you warm, but occasionally his hand would slip too far down or move too far up, and you'd have to slap his hand back into its original position.

"Owen. I don't think this is the time for your messing about." You complained in a whisper.

He huffed a little, but you could see his smirk through the darkness. You heard a creaking sound and all but jumped into his arms. You weren't a big fan of old, dark, abandoned buildings that made strange noises. Owen chuckled.

"It's just wind." He said softly.

There was another noise. Owen froze; his arms tightened around you rather protectively. You both made sure you were still hidden in shadows as you heard footsteps. The footsteps were light and delicate.

"Are you hungry today?" A female voice said softly, speaking to Gold.

You froze in shock at the sound. Then you heard a lever move, and the rectangle started to rise from the ground again. The front panel slid open, and another groggy intern fell out. It took only one swift movement for the dinosaur to snatch her up into his giant mouth. You closed your eyes and turned your head away. The poor girl didn't even have time to scream.

"That's my boy." The female voice purred.

You felt sick. You knew that voice. You knew it well. The footsteps started up again and faded away as the woman left the building.

"Oh god, it can't be her." You stammered.

You pressed your face against Owen's chest.

"You know her?" Owen asked you.

You took a shaky breath.

"Sh-she... She sounded like my mother."

You and Owen had run back to the main building. You needed to collect your thoughts.

"It couldn't possibly be here." You stammered fearfully.

Owen paced around in front of you. You had told him about your recovered memories not too long ago. Eventually, he stopped his anxious pacing and sat down beside you. You covered your eyes with your hands for a moment.

"But if it is her, then that means... She staged her own death at the park? Why would she do that? And why is she feeding the creature that in everyone else's eyes had attacked me?"

Owen pushed up your shirt a little to expose the scar. He frowned and ran his hand along the width of it.

"You had a fortunate escape with this, you know." Owen murmured suddenly, then he curiously asked, "What did your dad tell you about this? He clearly didn't tell you about what happened after your amnesia came to light."

You tilted your head.

"He told me I was attacked by a stray dog as a toddler." You mumbled.

Owen gave a slight nod.

"I don't understand why he'd hide it, though."

"Perhaps he didn't want me to try to go back and see if Gold or my mother were still alive." You suggested.

Owen didn't look convinced. In fact, he had been suspicious of your dad for a while now, ever since you had told him how it felt your memories were forcefully repressed. He gave your hand a small squeeze.

"There's nothing we can do yet; we just need to go back again tomorrow and see if she returns."

 You nodded in agreement.

"Then, for now, we should get some rest." You said.

Owen shrugged a little before he dove under the covers of your bed. You glared.

"Owen. Sleep in your own bed." You told him firmly.

He whined in protest.

"My room is too hot."

"Sharing a bed with someone should make you even warmer, you know." You sighed.

But Owen wouldn't listen to reason, so you crawled into the bed beside him, turned your back to him, and closed your eyes. You didn't fall asleep for a while, but when you did, it felt like sleep had hit you in the face.

When you awoke, the first thing you saw was Owen standing in front of your mirror with just a towel around his waist. He was dramatically flexing in the mirror. Wow, he really was a goofball. You groaned and rolled over to face the wall, trying not to laugh. Owen jumped when he heard your groan.

"Well, good morning." He chuckled, walking over to the bed and taking a seat.

"I'm not going to work today. Too tired." You complained.

"We have raptor children to train." He mused.

You sat upright. "Fine!" You sighed, getting up to go and take a shower.

Once you were both dressed and ready, you left for the raptor enclosure. Someone had already let them out. They must have trusted the two older raptors to keep the little ones in order. Then, you heard a sound over your earpiece.

"Miss (y/n)! Mr Owen! They're doing it again!" A voice whined.

You knew what was going on. This had happened a couple of days ago too. You both ended up near the interns' room. Flame and Indigo were watched with amused eyes as the small raptors ran in a circle around the brand new intern, who looked like he was on the verge of tears.

"I just need to get to work." He cried.

"You lot! Stop it!" You yelled at the little ones.

Rex stopped and looked at you curiously. This was his first experience of being yelled at by an alpha.

"Owen Jr, I'm surprised at you." Owen chimed in.

"Owen." You sighed.

He rolled his eyes.

"I still think Owen Jr is a better name." He teased.

It took you a few minutes, but you stopped the little tyrants and took them all to the training area. You couldn't take them to the outside arena yet, as they were small enough to fit through the bars and escape. You spent the rest of the day trying to train them. Even Indigo and Flame chipped in to discipline their children. And for a second. Just a second. You forgot about everything else going on outside the room. It was just you, Owen and your raptors.

A big happy family.