Thorns

By the time you and Owen got to the main building, the T-Rex had already released several other carnivores and eaten one of the herbivores. You and Owen bolted into the new base of operations to see what was going on. You doubled over when you got into the room, panting and puffing. Your bump made the running so much harder.

"What's going on?" Owen called angrily.

"The enclosure power has failed. We're running on backup, but once that's gone..." Someone replied.

You closed your eyes and took one more gulp of air. History was repeating itself.

"I thought everything was dino-proof?" You growled.

"When we built the place, we didn't anticipate the gigaceratops." Another employee retorted

 You clenched your hands into fists. You'd been one of the ones to work on the blueprints with your experience from the last park.

"We're working on locking down the hotel. We need to get the guests back inside."

You turned and ran for it. You'd help get everyone into the hotel for as long as you could. No way would you let any more people die.

Owen had followed you, and you both shuffled back and forth, piling guests inside the building. You could hear the roars of the carnivores and the screams of the herbivores being ripped to shreds. The ground shook with the huge footsteps. You got as many people in as you could. If there was anyone left, they weren't here. You and Owen were about to get inside too, when the shutters slammed down, leaving you two locked outside.

"What? They can't do this!" Owen yelled suddenly, hitting the shutters with his fist.

"The baby..!"

You placed both hands on your bump and closed your eyes for a moment. Then you heard heavy approaching footsteps, accompanied by a roar.

"Owen, I am so, so sorry." You whispered, "It's my fault you're here."

Owen shook his head.

"No, I came here because I loved the park before it went to hell. You're the reason I'm happy."

 You took a shaky breath and grabbed his arm, pulling him behind a bush as the footsteps got closer.

Suddenly there was a blast of hot air. The T-Rex was smelling the bush. You kept still. Completely still. Your heart was thumping in your chest. Owen had your hand in a vice grip. As if he was terrified to let go of you, as if you'd disappear if he did. A roar shook the bush. The beast turned around at the sound of a male voice. Its tail swept behind it and destroyed the bush, swiping you and Owen and sending you both sailing through the air.

The landing was painful. You felt a searing pain in your leg.

"(Y/n)!" Owen cried.

You sat up slowly and felt the pain sharpen. When you looked down at your leg, you could see a sharp vine of thorns embedded in your flesh. You gagged. Owen gingerly grabbed hold of it.

"I am so sorry." He mumbled.

"Why-?"

Then you screamed. Owen yanked the thorns out. The pain was sickening. He examined the holes in your skin for a moment, and when he determined there was no more thorn in your leg, he ripped the sleeve off of his shirt and tied it around your wound.

The T-Rex had heard the scream. Smelled the blood. It was coming towards you. Owen helped you to your feet and tried to let you walk. You could, but it was going to make you slow. You had no time to even protest before Owen picked you up and started running. He just needed to get somewhere the dinosaur couldn't reach. Or destroy. The office building was shuttered too. Owen kept going. The cart! The cart you had been in when you went to meet him at the airport. He put you down on the seat and slammed the accelerator down. It wasn't as fast as a car. But it moved. The footsteps were still following, but as Owen swerved into a cluster of trees, they slowed. The T-Rex had to rip its way through them before it could follow you.

The cart burst out of the other side into herbivore valley. Not good. The herbivores were stampeding. Owen swerved the cart and then drove with the herds. It was a dangerous move, but potentially the only one that has a chance of keeping you both alive. There was an almighty roar followed by a child's screaming. You saw it. In the distance. A little girl was shaking as she stared up. One swift motion was all it took to swallow her whole. You stretched out your arm as if it might help her.

"No!" You screamed.

But it was too late. Now it was after you two again. It was gaining on you. Throwing herbivores to the side in the pursuit of the blood scent.

"I love you." You whispered to Owen.

"I love you too".

You closed your eyes and waited.