Egg Duty

You awoke to a loud knocking on your door. You dragged yourself out of bed and opened it, not noticing your bad bedhead as you passed the mirror. You opened the door slowly.

"Yes?" You yawned softly.

You found Owen standing outside of your door. He took one look at you, and his eyes widened, his nostrils flaring and the corners of his mouth curving upwards as he tried to suppress his laughter. Only then did you look in the mirror to see your hair sticking up at odd angles and a displaced strand stuck to your face. You let out a surprised yelp and darted over to your dresser to brush your hair. You managed to fix your hair in only a few minutes, leaving Owen standing in the doorway laughing heartily. You put the brush down and walked back to him.

"I see you managed to tame the mane." He joked.

"Yes. N-now, what did you want?" You asked him, still visibly embarrassed.

"Well, sleeping beauty, you're a half hour late for work." He told you.

Your eyes snapped to the clock, and you gasped. You dashed back into your room and started to change before noticing you'd left the door open.

"Be a gentleman and close the door, would you?" You snorted.

He smirked teasingly, "And what if I don't want to?".

"Owen." You groaned.

He laughed and closed the door over so he couldn't see you. You changed into your usual attire and left the room.

"Did you already eat breakfast?" You asked him.

He shook his head.

"I thought I'd wait for you, but you didn't appear."

"Sorry about that." You mumbled sheepishly.

"I thought you said you can't sleep at night?" Owen asked curiously.

"Well, I don't know how but I actually managed to sleep well last night." You told him.

"Must be me." He joked. 

You laughed too, but you had a funny feeling that might actually be true.

You ate an omelette for breakfast, and Owen had pancakes. You were jealous of him, but you knew if you ate a heavy breakfast you might fall asleep on the job. You both headed down to the control room after finishing your food. Sophia wanted to speak to you both. You stood in front of the blonde, who was holding a clipboard. She glanced down at it.

"For now, I'm taking you both off full-time training duty and moving you to the egg shift." She stated, not bothering to introduce herself to Owen.

"The egg shift?" Owen asked, unsure of what that meant.

"Yes, you two will spend half of your shift monitoring the new raptor eggs we're incubating here. Hopefully, with Miss (y/n)'s help, you should have your own trained raptor, Mr Grady." She told him with a smirk on her face.

She kept fluttering her eyes and giggling, obviously flirting with Owen. She actually sickened you. She thought she was some kind of goddess just because she had her daddy's money.

"Alright, you're dismissed. Your first stop is the incubation chamber." She snorted, waving you both away.

The incubation chamber was not a pleasant place. It was completely sterile, of course, but it was so empty that from outside, it looked cold. It was only inside you could feel the heat pulsing from the incubators. You and Owen sat on the chairs, making light conversation. Every so often, your eyes would flicker over to the vitality monitors, which showed the health of the eggs. A few hours into your shift, most of the monitors started to frantically beep before shutting off.

"Th-the baby raptors!" You gasped in horror.

Owen bowed his head a little.

"Gone."

There was still only one egg remaining. You weren't sure why the other raptors had died until you checked the incubators. Someone had wired them wrong, and they had been slowly cooking the eggs rather than just keeping them at the right temperature. Luckily it looked like nobody had touched the final incubator. You called some of the staff, removed the eggs and had the incubators fixed. Five eggs were gone. Owen definitely looked upset by this.

"Let's just hope this little guy makes it." You sighed softly, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Owen placed his hand over yours and nodded once before withdrawing it again.

"Our shift is over here. We should go." He said quietly.

You bit your lip for a moment.

"Yes, alright." You replied softly.

To take Owen's mind off the raptor eggs, you had gone to lunch and then to training. First, you taught Owen some trust-building exercises with Sapphire and Indigo, then you decided to show him your favourite.

"Alright, here we go." You said with a grin.

You had climbed up a tall wall and stood at the top.

"You're like a five-year-old, climbing things and jumping around." Owen teased, finally back in good spirits.

You took a deep breath. Sapphire was standing a few feet to the left.

"Ready?" You called.

You jumped from the wall. Sapphire raced over, and you landed on her back, then she bolted down the training area with you still clinging tightly to her. Finally, she stopped, and you dismounted, taking a moment to catch your breath.

"You can ride these two? Like horses?" Owen asked in amusement.

"Oh yeah, of course." You laughed.

Owen seemed intrigued by this. He stood there with his arms folded and raised one hand up to rub his chin.

"Where did you learn all this, anyway?" He asked.

You strode over to him.

"Honestly? I didn't. I just learnt to understand them and went with my instincts on training them." You admitted.

"You really just went with your instincts?" He questioned you, clearly surprised at your answer.

"And it worked." You nodded.

He glanced at the two raptors and then back to you before smiling and chuckling.

"You have some pretty good instincts."