The Docks

18 Hours... 17 Hours... 16 Hours...

You and Owen had been counting down the minutes until the rescue team was due to arrive. Lily was restless, she wouldn't feed, and it was getting harder to keep her warm as the fire dwindled.

"Should we go now?" Owen asked, referring to the directions of the rescue team.

They had told Owen that you should all head down to the docks when the team was due to arrive.

"I don't think that's a good idea. We don't know how dangerous it is there. Plus, what if they radio us while we're gone." You pointed out.

Owen sighed, knowing you had a point. He didn't want to put the baby in danger. He perched next to you and took the tiny tot in his large arms. It warmed your heart to see how he cooed over her and how she seemed to settle. You glanced at Maria; She hadn't said a word for hours. You slowly got to your feet and made your way over to her.

"How are you holding up?" You asked, lightly placing a hand on her shoulder. 

She took a moment to respond.

"Are we going to die here?" She asked with a shaking voice.

You couldn't help but wonder that yourself, not that you could say that. But you knew the one thing everyone needed right now was hope.

"Of course not." You said firmly.

The look in her eyes said she didn't believe you, yet she looked a little relieved too. You sat with her for a while, knowing she needed the comfort.

15 hours. That was how long you had left to wait. The radio tower had proven a solid hideout so far, except for the T-Rex attack, of course. The longer you were there, the more like a prison it was beginning to feel. Owen had gone outside to get some air when you suddenly heard him yell.

"We need to go! Now!" He bellowed.

You exchanged a glance with Maria and immediately sprung to your feet, bringing Lily and Maria with you.

"What's wrong?" You asked, eyes wide with surprise.

"Listen," Owen said, cupping a hand around his ear.

You copied his action and listened closely. You heard it. The spitting and hissing of a raptor. The smaller, feral ones. You cussed under your breath, then the three of you took off running. Maria held Lily close to her as you ran. By this point, you trusted the teenager to save your daughter if anything happened to you and Owen.

"Where are we headed?" You asked Owen, struggling to run.

"The docks are our safest bet!" He yelled, looking back for a moment to make sure you hadn't been followed.

You reached the dock in just over an hour. Your feet hurt and Lily was hungry. It seemed all clear, so you sat down and took Lily to feed her while Owen and Maria looked around for danger. Suddenly, you heard a soft roar coming from behind you. You turned your head sharply to, thankfully, see a familiar raptor. Indigo. She circled around you for a moment before letting out another roar.

"Where's Flame and the little ones?" You asked.

It was then that you noticed the wounds on her sides and back. No... No way. You got up slowly as Indigo took a step closer and sniffed Lily. She then tilted her head curiously before roaring loudly. It sounded pained. Lily must have reminded her of her babies. You bit back tears for the raptor. She'd lost everything.

"I am so sorry." You breathed.

Suddenly Owen burst back over, having heard the roar. He relaxed as soon as he realised it was Indigo, but a look of sadness soon crossed his face as he realised why she was alone.

13 hours.

The docks were empty enough for you to all settle down. Indigo had stuck with you, having nowhere else to go anymore. You leant your head against Owen as the two of you sat together. 

"All of this happened because they couldn't leave genetics alone, huh?" Owen said suddenly.

 You nodded in agreement.

"There's only one person truly responsible for this." You declared, "My mother."

Owen flinched a little upon hearing the harshness of his words.

"If she's still alive now, I hope she's sorry for what she did." You spat.

Owen brushed his hand through your hair and kissed your forehead.

"Let's not think about her. It won't do us any good." He said softly.

He was right, of course. Thinking about her would only upset you further. It was silent for a while before a thought entered your mind, and you gasped.

"I know my mother. She wouldn't do any of this if she didn't have a way to protect herself." You said slowly.

Owen looked at you quizzically.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"It means she has a fail-safe." You declared.

Suddenly you got to your feet and wandered over to the corpse of a Deinonychus, which had been picked clean by the carnivores. It must have been hours ago. You saw a small blinking light as you moved the rib cage.

"What the hell?" You muttered.

As you grabbed the large metal square between your hands, you could see some kind of code written on it. There was also a transmitter. You knew from experience that this wasn't a tracking device, so what was it? Suddenly the realisation hit you as you finally saw the words engraved into the back. 'CN-'. Cyanide.

"A kill switch." You said suddenly as Owen approached, "She's got a kill switch in them."

Owen snorted,

"What, that can kill a dinosaur?" He asked.

"I'm sure she knows what dosage each one needs." You sighed.

You knew she must have them in all of the carnivores.

"Wait, so if we find your mother..." Owen began.

"We can destroy the danger." You finished for him.

With 12 and a half hours left to wait for help, this might be your best chance at keeping Lily as safe as possible.

"We need to find her."