Eggshells

As soon as you were back on your feet, you and Owen made another plan. You and Owen seemed to be devising plans a lot lately. It was becoming a bad habit. Before you could talk further about it, there was a rapid knocking on your bedroom door. Owen got up and went to answer it, despite your protests. You knew whoever was there was going to get the wrong idea. Owen had taken his shirt off because it was too hot, even with your window as far open as you could get it. He opened the door. His face, his arms and his chest were covered in sweat from the heat. A lab worker, more specifically Dr Trotter, took one look and tried to apologise for disturbing the two of you. You jumped up and stumbled to the door.

"No, no. You didn't disturb anyone!" You stammered, clearly flustered.

Owen was smirking again. Damn him. He snaked an arm around your shoulder and you blushed madly.

"So, what did you need?" he asked.

Dr Trotter cleared his throat.

"The eggs are hatching," he announced.

You gasped. Owen's arm was at once removed from your shoulder, and you heard rustling as he yanked on his shirt and buttoned it, then pulled on his vest as fast as possible. You both bolted straight down the hallway and into the raptor enclosure.

You both crouched by the nest, watching intently. The little raptors broke through the shells speedily. Four hatchlings were soon sitting beside broken egg shells. You realised then that you were crying again. Owen smiled at you and took one of your hands, squeezing it gently.

"You seem to cry more every time." He chuckled softly.

An assistant brought in several bottles of little pink liquid. Liquefied meat. You and Owen sat with the raptor hatchlings, Indigo and Flame looming over your shoulders as you fed them with the little bottles. They must have been remembering when they were drinking from the bottles themselves. You smiled at Owen as he held one of the tiny babies in his large hand. You squeaked a little as he brought his hand up to his face and gave the tiny raptor a small kiss on the forehead. You had a hard time containing your urge to squeal about how adorable you found the action.

Owen looked at you, amused when he saw the look on your face that pretty much screamed it anyway.

"Are you jealous?" He teased.

You decided to do something bold for once.

"Yes." You said.

You regretted saying it upon seeing the momentary look of shock on Owen's face. Then he leaned over and kissed your forehead too. The regret vanished. You heard a little growl and turned your attention back to the small raptor who was looking at you impatiently. You laughed softly and held the bottle to its mouth again.

You cared for the babies over the next few days. It took priority over your plan for now. You ended up naming the females Melody, Emerald and Aqua and naming the male Rex, who narrowly avoided being called 'Owen Junior'. When the little ones were able to fend for themselves a little more, you let Indigo handle them for a while. Then, finally, you got back to your plan.

"So, we've agreed so far that the best time to go is just before the start of the night shift. Then we hide in the shadows and wait." Owen said slowly.

You nodded, "I think that's our best plan of action so far."

Owen thought for a moment, rubbing his hand across his chin. You could hear the scratching of his facial hair against his hand. You flopped backward on the bed in Owen's room and groaned.

"Why is it whenever something happens, it's always us who finds it?" You complained.

 "Because who else has the guts to try and fix it? Or the raptors to bring down their foes, might I add." He chuckled softly.

You rolled your eyes and laughed at his joke.

"Well, we just went from two all the way up to six."

Owen sat down beside you.

"Does this technically make us grandparents?" He teased.

You thumped his head.

"I might just have to kill you if you make me feel old again." You warned.

 Owen laughed and lay down too, folding his arms neatly behind his head. Then, with a sigh, you sat up.

"Well. I'm going to use your shower." You told him, marching over to the door into his bathroom.

 "Yours is still broken?" He asked curiously.

You shrugged.

"The maintenance guys are busy with the dinosaur habitats.".

While you were showering, there was a knock at Owen's door. He answered it and was greeted by the rather irritating face of Jim.

"What do you want?" Owen growled.

"Is (y/n) here? I have some business I need to speak with her about. She wasn't in her room and I figured she always seems to be with you." Jim said plainly.

Owen glared at him.

"She's not here. But I'm sure I can pass a message on."

Jim shook his head.

"That's not necessary. If you do see her, though, tell her I need to speak with her urgently."

He swiped his hair out of his eyes for a moment and Owen saw it. It stated right back at him. Faded and yellowish by this point, but nonetheless there. A bruise. Exactly where you had told him you had hit your attacker. Owen slammed the dome in his face. He wrenched open the door to the bathroom, which you had left unlocked.

"I know who did it." He declared.

His eyes finally found you through the steam and they widened as he saw you glaring at him, clutching a towel to cover yourself.

"Get the hell out of this bathroom, right now, Grady." You snapped.

He didn't need to be asked twice. He slammed the door shut and sat down. Damn, you could be scary sometimes. Although he didn't blame you. He'd intruded without thinking about what he was doing. He had assumed you'd be still in the shower, with the curtain to shield yourself. He didn't know you'd be done so soon. You emerged a few minutes later. You were fully dressed again with a towel wrapped around your hair.

"You were saying?" You said calmly.

Owen had expected you to be angrier.

"Jim," Owen said slowly.

"Is the guy who attacked me?" You finished for him.

Owen looked surprised.

"You knew?" He asked.

"Oh yeah, but I also know he isn't working alone. He's not smart enough. He's just following orders." You said slowly.

Owen had to bite back laughter when you basically called Jim stupid.

"We go tonight then." He promoted. You nodded.

At 1am you both readied yourselves. This time, to avoid Owen forgetting, you'd slept on the couch in his room. You snuck out to the lunch room and grabbed some things to eat and drink while you waited, then you left for the abandoned building. You sat in the shadows together, hidden from even Gold.

Now all there was left to do, was wait.