Memories

As the smoke billowed into the air from the main building, you and Owen could only watch in horror. You could see people banging on the glass doors, trying their best to get out, but the building was on lockdown. You were locked out, and they were all locked in. You clutched Owen's arm fearfully.

"I don't want to watch this." You whispered.

Owen looked at you sympathetically,

"Me either. There's nothing we can do." He said softly.

He patted your shoulder and then led you and the raptors away from the building. You finally got a look at the park outside of the main building. You'd barely left the building since you'd arrived so many months ago. Owen seemed to be in awe at the reworked park.

"This is incredible." He said slowly.

He could see the habitats and the viewing platforms everywhere.

"Let's take a better look." You suggested.

Owen looked a little hesitant, but he agreed. You had already witnessed something awful, and you did not want to risk seeing anything else. You led him up the steps to the viewing platform for the T-Rex enclosure. Owen was in awe as he looked into the large pen filled with foliage. He could see the tyrannosaurus wandering around the enclosure. Of course, the viewing platform was elevated higher than the enclosure, so you could easily see past the double fence. You were happy for the distraction. You wrapped your arms around one of Owen's and leant your head on his arm. Owen could tell you were still thinking about what was going on. He was too. You two turned and headed back to the building.

When you reached the building, it was no longer smoking. The doors were open and the alarm had been shut off. You exchanged a strange look with Owen, and you both rushed inside. Expecting to see the building in ruins, you were surprised to see it was fine. You looked down every corridor until you reached the lab. The lab was bustling with people. Everyone was scrubbing things clean.

"What happened?!" You asked loudly.

A few people turned to look at you; then you saw it—a melted pile of bone and flesh, complete with clipboard. You and Owen exchanged looks once more.

"Is that Sophia?" Owen asked with a note of utter horror in his voice.

You couldn't be sure, but that looked like her, so you nodded.

"Is everyone else alright?" Owen asked.

A few people mumbled something until Jim stepped forwards and began to speak.

"Sophia came in here to check there was nobody left in the laboratory. When we checked the surveillance cameras we saw what the problem was. A formula had been left unattended and was bubbling across the floor. It melted her. It also set the room on fire." He explained, shaking his head.

"So we have no manager and no lab?" You gasped.

You weren't sure what was going to happen now.

"We can have the lab running again in no time, but we don't know how the owner will react when he hears about his daughter's death." Jim sighed, glaring around the room.

Eventually, the staff scraped Sophia up off of the floor and returned the laboratory to working order. The owner was called. The scariest part was that he didn't seem bothered in the slightest about Sophia's death. He just ordered a temporary manager to be voted on until he found another to replace his daughter.

"The park must open as planned."

You and Owen had been sent out to check the fencing as planned. You walked next to each other, guns strapped to your backs for an emergency. You had checked all the herbivore enclosures. They were all safe. Next was the carnivore enclosures. First, you checked the tyrannosaurus enclosure. That was safe enough. Then you stumbled across a restricted area. It was a massive building in ruins. The outside of the building was covered in plants and vines, obviously abandoned a long time ago. You were frightened by this. Highly. You had to see, though. You entered the building via the broken door. Inside there was a cage. The cage was covered in foliage, as if it too had been long forgotten. You pushed some aside to find a glowing eye. You screamed and fell backwards onto the ground. Owen rushed to your side and as he saw the eye, his stomach dropped. That was too big for a regular dinosaur, surely. A large pair of claws began to scrape at the metal and knock away the surrounding foliage. The dinosaur that greeted your eyes was like no other. It was huge. So much bigger than an Indominous Rex. You saw the nameplate attached to the wall.

"Warning; hyper-intelligent, genetically engineered. Not safe for the general public. Destroy immediately." Your voice shook as you read it, "So why wasn't it destroyed?"

"My guess is, it killed anyone that tried," Owen said suddenly, his voice cracking a little.

You wanted to run. Every instinct in your body told you to run. But you couldn't. You got to your feet and placed your hands around the bars of the cage. Owen looked at you as if you were crazy. The dinosaur lowered its head and snorted at you, and something in its bright yellow eyes captivated you. You felt like you knew this thing. But how? Then you remembered. It hit you like a brick wall to the face. Memories long forgotten. Buried in your mind, repressed by someone who definitely wasn't you.

Twenty-five years ago." You breathed.

"What?" Owen asked.

You didn't turn to look at Owen.

"I was ten. You were newborn, weren't you."

You were speaking to the dinosaur.

"They let you live for three years. After that, you were scheduled to be destroyed. The person who stopped that was..."

You took in a sharp breath as the final memory came back to you.

"Hello, old friend."