The Vet

You hadn't seen Owen since the kiss. Honestly, you were a little glad. You were still processing it.  You couldn't believe it had happened. You were sitting on your bed, your fingers lingering on your lips. You could still feel his pressed against yours. You closed your eyes and sighed. He was such a jerk sometimes. Just getting up and leaving like that. But you couldn't deny that you liked it. A lot.

You found him the following morning, sitting and eating breakfast. He looked at you with a smug smile when you sat opposite him, your plate of scrambled eggs and bacon sliding around on the tray as you placed it onto the table. You raised an eyebrow as he tried not to chuckle.

"Mr Grady." You greeted him.

He cocked an eyebrow.

"Back to Mr Grady, are we?" he asked, "Did I do something wrong?"

You rolled your eyes at him and playfully stuck out your tongue. Then, you started to slowly eat your eggs and bacon. Owen finished his food a while before you did. He just sat there and silently and watched you eat the rest of your food. It should have been creepy, but it wasn't in the slightest. Perhaps that's just because you were so comfortable around him after all of the time you had spent together. Finally, you got up and cleared the table off. Making the cleaner's job a little easier was the least you could do. Once the table was clear, you and Owen went to track down Flame and Indigo. You found that they were still in their enclosure; nobody had let them out this morning. Owen swiped his card,  and the door opened, Flame dashed out quickly, but Indigo was nowhere in sight. You peered curiously inside.

"Where is she?" Owen wondered aloud. You stepped inside, followed by Owen, but you couldn't see the raptor through the foliage. You ventured further into the rather large habitat, only spotting the raptor as you approached a bush. She was lying down on her side, puffing and panting a little. You gasped as you saw her and then looked up at Owen. His face was creased with worry. You turned and bolted from the room, leaving Owen to watch over Indigo whilst you fetched help. The vet was soon in the enclosure, checking over the raptor. Indigo was the only raptor that Jeffrey, the senior vet, was comfortable examining without sedation.

When Jeff was finished with his examination, he had only one conclusion. Indigo was 'pregnant' so to speak, or rather she should have been laying eggs, but she was having difficulties. You and Owen exchanged looks of disbelief. Jeff assured you both that he had aided the situation and that Indigo should be laying her eggs very shortly. Then he left. You and Owen stood there silently for a moment.

"Damn, Flame. I didn't think you had it in you.". You muttered, shaking your head lightly.

Owen burst out laughing when you said that. You looked at Owen and quirked an eyebrow. He took a moment to calm himself down.

"Sorry, that was just so unexpected." He chuckled.

You laughed too and rolled your eyes.

"Well, I suppose this was bound to happen at some point. Flame's our first male raptor here; all the dinosaurs have been female before now. When Flame hatched, I asked Jeff how he was male, and somehow the 'foolproof way to force all eggs to create females must have slipped by him." You tutted, shaking your head.

Owen nodded and chuckled once more.

You and Owen worked on training Flame for the rest of the day, giving poor Indigo a break. She'd already had a hard enough time. At the end of the workday, you and Owen parted ways and went to bed. Well, Owen went to bed. You snuck out of the building and headed straight for the restricted area. You had to see Gold again.

You arrived at the facility and quietly stepped inside. You heard the sound of metal grinding, and then, as you approached the cage, you saw a metal rectangle rise from the ground inside. Gold stood, waiting patiently for what was happening. One side of the rectangle slid up, and a dazed intern fell out. The rectangle immediately started to recede into the ground. You gasped as you saw Gold bend down and sniff the intern, then open his huge mouth and eat him. Your eyes were wide with horror. You heard footsteps and hid behind some of the foliage growing through the floor. A shadowy figure ran past the cage and down the corridor. You felt sick. Someone had definitely been feeding Gold. They'd been feeding him interns.