Chapter 5

The moment I walked into the police station, I knew how much trouble I was in. I have no idea who contacted the police, but Dad came to the scene where Julian and I "have claimed" to see Bigfoot. I don't even know why he was called. I thought it was unnecessary to call the police.

Henry Dawson, the number one news reporter in Seattle, laughs at Julian and me when I said I lost Bigfoot. He acted like a total jerk to us, asking me how I could have lost such a large hairy creature. I don't know what happened to him or where he had disappeared to. Maybe he heard me when I slipped and quickly ran off to hide. No doubt Julian and I will be the laughing stock of the city, as well as the country, maybe even the world.

Dad gets Julian to drive my car home while I was force to ride in the back of his police car. I knew I was going to get a long lecture from him later.

"Hey, David, did you really see Sasquatch?" one of my dad's colleagues asks me as I follow Dad to his office.

Dad shoots him a look to warn him to knock it off. He then makes me sit down in front of his desk, closing the door behind us.

"Okay, explain to me what you and Julian were doing out in the woods," he says as he takes a seat at his desk.

"Nothing, Dad," I say.

"Nothing? Well, if it's nothing then why didn't you return home when I ask you to?"

I don't know what to tell my dad. I could tell him the truth, but I don't think he will believe me, nor does he have the time to listen to me.

"I forgot, okay?"

"David, when I ask you to be home at a certain time, I want you home at that time. I don't want you to be out somewhere with Julian, chasing after something that doesn't exist."

I couldn't help myself and burst into laughter. "Wow, it's funny how you mentioned Bigfoot doesn't exist, Dad."

Dad sighs with frustration. "Son, Bigfoot is just a legend. He isn't real."

"How do you know he isn't? Have you seen him before?"

Dad doesn't answer me, and I know he won't.

"I bet Mom would believe me."

That gets Dad's attention. He stands up from his chair, pointing his index finger at me. "Don't you bring your mother into this conversation."

I open my mouth to say something, but then close it. Dad dislikes talking about Mom.

The phone rings. He answers it. Clare, the lady who manages reception is on the phone, saying something to Dad. "Yeah, okay. That's not a problem. Thanks Clare."

He hangs up the phone. I watch him as he stands there, scratching his chin like he is trying to work out what he should do with me.

"Listen," he says, placing his hands on his hips, "I have a lot of work to do. I got to go out on patrol soon. I'm going to get Jerry to take you home. And when you get home, I want you to go straight to bed. No dinner. Just go straight to bed. You hear me?"

I nod, answering yes.

Dad calls Jerry to come get me, and then I'm escorted out by him towards his car. As soon as we are in the car, he asks me about Sasquatch, wanting to know what he is like, but I don't answer him. He is probably only questioning me so he can laugh behind my back later.

He pulls up outside my home. I see my car parked on the street where Julian had left it. I thank Jerry and get out of the car. I walk inside to see our neighbour of so many years, Ms O'Reilly, sitting on the couch with Sally who had fallen asleep. She is about sixty something years old. Dad always asks her to look after my sister whenever Dad or I couldn't be at home. When I was younger she also baby sat me. Don't know why Dad couldn't ask her this morning to watch Sally rather than asking me.