Chapter 18

It's past midnight, and I'm unable to sleep with the loud growls and banging noises coming from downstairs. I lie awake listening to it, hesitating about going downstairs. I wonder if this is how he is in the wild or maybe it was only because he was kept in a confine space. I wonder also if he was going to get any sleep at all. Sasquatches are nocturnal. So I guess he will be up all night, keeping me awake. Maybe he will sleep later.

His howling is soon upsetting the neighbours' dogs as they too began howling, like they were responding to him.

I climb out of bed. There is no use sleeping now. Bigfoot is too much awake. I walk out of my room just as Dad did. He looks at me, half asleep, asking me if I knew where the sound was coming from.

I just shrug. "Even if I did know, you would never believe me."

Dad ignores my comment and walks pass me, heading down the stairs. I follow him. He stood at the bottom of the stairs, listening for the sounds. The growling stops, but the banging continues. I wasn't sure what he was banging. I can't hear anything smashing so I know he isn't breaking anything. This time instead of growling, he lets out a roar.

"What is that?" Dad wonders out loud as he walks towards the basement stairs.

I was going to say what it was, but decided not to. It will only lead to an argument. Besides, when he does go downstairs he will see I have been telling the truth all along.

Dad opens the door and tells me not to follow while he checks the noise out. I disobeyed him and followed him down. I expected him to turn around, scold at me for disobeying me, but he doesn't.

I appear over his shoulder. Bigfoot is standing at the back door, trying to open it. He was getting frustrated not being able to get out. He was pulling on the door handle and scratching at the wood. I was terrified he was going to break down the door. It looks to me he hasn't figured out how to opened it yet. I can't let him escape.

Dad curses when he sees him. "David, get back upstairs!"

I listened, running back up the stairs with Dad at my heels. He closes the door.

"David, under any circumstances I do not want you to go down to the basement. I'm going to call animal control."

I stare at him with a blank look. "Animal control?"

He grabs the cordless phone in the kitchen. "Yes, there is a bear downstairs."

I burst out laughing. Is that what he really thinks it is? "Seriously, Dad? You think it is a bear?"

Dad dials the number for Julian's Dad's company. It's after hours so all calls are directed to his cell. Mr Hale would sometimes get one of his employees to do the late night shifts or he takes on the job.

"Well, what else would it be, David?"

I shake my head, shrug and threw my arms in the air. "I don't know. Sasquatch maybe?"

He ignores me with when Julian's Dad answers the phone. "Hey, Ted, it's Sheriff Wilson." Dad had to block one of his ears when Bigfoot lets out a roar. "There's a bear in my basement."

I roll my eyes. I was about to make my way down there when Dad stops me. I stand there watching him.

"I'm not sure how it wandered down there," Dad continues. "Perhaps it escaped from the zoo... Okay, thanks, Ted. See you soon." He hangs up the phone and turns to me. "Right, I do not want you to go down there at all. Julian's Dad will be over here soon to catch the bear."

I wanted to protest, but what was the use anyway? I wouldn't be heard. But soon Dad will see I'm telling the truth. Even if he does find out, I doubt it he will even apologise to me for his misunderstanding.