Chapter 20

I didn't think about what consequences I would face once I kissed Mrs Cameron. I wasn't even expecting myself to pull the stun. All I needed was something to distract my teacher for a moment so I didn't have to explain to her about Bigfoot or get into an argument with her like I did with Dad. She doesn't move her lips against mine, which I don't expect her to do. I just peck her lips quickly, apologising before running off down the hall way with Julian and Bethany.

"I can't believe you kissed her, David," Julian says as we ran out of the main building and towards the student car park.

I didn't answer him until I got to his jeep. I put my hands on my knees so I could breathe. Julian and Bethany join me.

"Yeah, I wasn't planning to do it until graduation," I finally answer.

Julian stares at me with his mouth open wide. "You were planning to do that all along?"

I grinned. "Yeah. I just didn't want to tell you because I knew you would stop me."

"You do realise how much trouble you will get in?" He unlocks the jeep and climbs in.

"You have a crush on Mrs Cameron?" Bethany asks, surprise as we open the door at the same time. She climbs into the back seat.

I climb in the front. "Yes, I do."

"Really? I didn't even know. I thought you kissed her on purpose so we could get away." She covers her noise. "Gosh, what is that dreadful smell?"

Julian winds down all of the windows. "That is the smell of a Sasquatch. I haven't been able to get his odour out yet." He starts the jeep and pulls out of the parking space.

"So, Bethany, how come you are tagging along with us?" I ask us Julian pulls onto the street. "I thought you never believed us."

"I never said I didn't believe you. I was just surprise when you claimed you have seen it, and then on the news they just laughed at you so I figured maybe you didn't seem him."

"You were surprise?" I ask. "Really? Usually people give you the WTF look and then laugh when you say you have seen Sasquatch. They will listen for a brief second, and when you fail to show evidence, that's when they laugh at you. Henry Dawson did exactly that."

Julian chuckles as he looks over his shoulder as he emerges into another lane. "He will be getting the biggest surprise of his life soon."

"Well, truthfully I was glad because I thought I was crazy at first when I had an encounter with him –"

Julian takes his eyes off the road and looks directly at Bethany. "W-wait, you had an encounter?"

The jeep steers across the double yellow line. A car was coming towards us, the driver honking the horn. I scream at Julian, grabbing the wheel to steer back into our lane. Julian takes the wheel and curses as the jeep narrowly misses the other car. We sit still for a second from the incident.

He apologises to us and then turns to me, saying thanks, returning his eyes to the road. He slows to a stop at a red light.

"Yes, I had an encounter last winter," Bethany says. "I never told anyone. I didn't want anything to think I was weird for believing he existed."

I turn to look at her. "Hey, you aren't weird for believing in something that supposedly doesn't exist. I mean, take Julian for instance. He believes in aliens, but I don't. At times I do think he is weird, but at the same time I don't really care."

"Thanks, David." He puts on his blinker, changes lanes, and then turns into the street leading to mine.

"So where did you see Bigfoot, Beth?" I ask.