Chapter 15

We make it back to Seattle without any problems. I thought we would never reach city, especially with the weight of Bigfoot in the back seat that makes the rear of the jeep almost scraping the road.

Dad isn't home, which makes disposing Bigfoot's body a lot easier. Okay, maybe not quite. The neighbours might be home and see us what we are doing. Hopefully none of them will call my dad to tell them what I'm doing. Ms O'Reilly should be home. I don't think she will see us unless she is standing in the kitchen and glancing into our yard. I'm sure she is probably sitting in the living room, either watching TV or knitting. I don't have to worry about the Thompsons who live to the left of us. The parents should be at work while their three children should be in school.

Julian drives up the driveway of the backyard. Driving onto the grass is forbidden, but it's the only way to get a perfect position in the front of the building. In the back we had stairs leading to the door that takes you to the basement under the house. I'm thankful for the door out back, otherwise we are completely screwed. We would not be able to drag him through the back door of the kitchen, through the living room where the door to the basement is underneath the staircase leading upstairs.

I enter the house and quickly run down the stairs to the basement, almost tripping down them. I unlock the basement door. I picked up a nearby box and used it as a door stopper. The door unlocks from inside and I didn't feel like running back inside to unlock it again.

Julian pulls his body out by the feet. His body lies lifeless on the ground at our feet. We try to drag him, but he was far too heavy for us to even drag. We couldn't make a pulley because there was no ledge we could throw the rope over.

Sally opens the boot and hops out on one leg, wincing and biting her lip.

"Sally, what are you doing?" I ask her. "Get back inside the jeep or you will hurt yourself more."

She ignores me. "Let me help you guys."

"It's too dangerous for you, Sally," Julian tells her. "You have a busted foot. You could make the injury worst if you move around too much."

"I'm aware of my injury, but right now you two can't move Bigfoot's body with only two people."

"I don't think three will be enough either."

"Let's just try, okay?"

I help my sister over. I stand behind her, placing my arm around her waist, making sure she doesn't fall at all. It was a slow process, but with the help of my sister, we manage to move him. We had to stop a few times when Sally screams out in pain. I was worried one of the neighbours would hear her and peek over the fence to see what was happening. Worst, they could call dad, asking him to come around and investigate, probably suspecting there's a murder happening from her screaming. I told her to quieten it down. She understands and bites her lip.

Sally sits down on a nearby box, trying to breathe steady from the pain. She asks for water, but Julian advices her not to have anything until she has seen the doctor just in case it's a bad break and she would have to get surgery.

Julian and I let her rest for a few minutes before helping her up. We walk slowly to the exit, and as we did, that's when Bigfoot wakes up.

He stands up, his head just inches from hitting the ceiling.

"Looks like the tranquiliser has wear off on him," I say

"Yeah, a little too quickly if you ask me," Julian agrees. "It hasn't been three hours yet, has it?"

I shake my head as I watch Bigfoot's every move. He looks around at his surroundings. "Where's the tranquiliser?"

"It's at the back of the jeep."