Chapter 7

Even though I had told Julian to forget we ever saw see Bigfoot, I knew truthfully I was telling myself a lie. There was no way in the world could we just forget about him. He is one of the biggest mysterious creatures (is he counted as one of those mythical creatures?) that no human being has proven to exist. The people who claimed they have seen one turns into fools. People say they had mistaken him for a bear. People even pulled hoaxes to prove he is real. But no one has been able to proven that he is real or even get too close to him like Julian and I did. I guess you just have to be fortunate to see him.

After school I sat in my room, watching videos of Bigfoot sightings on the internet. I never quite understood why everyone seems to capture him from a long distance. How come no one has captured him up close? Maybe he doesn't want anyone to find him.

I eventually stop watching the videos and wander downstairs to make dinner for Sally and me. Dad has already left for work. I open the pantry to find something to cook. I just stared at the cans, jars and boxes, not really seeing what was inside. I didn't feel like cooking at all. Maybe I should eat out with my sister.

I find my sister in her room and ask what she wanted to do. She decides to go out for dinner. We lock up the place and decided on McDonalds. It was the one fast food restaurant we could always agree on.

"Everyone in school keeps asking me about you and Julian, and what you really saw up in the woods," Sally tells me as she bit into her cheeseburger.

I roll my eyes. "We told them what we saw, but everyone is telling us we didn't see it." I take a bite of my Quarter Pounder.

"I believe you, David."

I smile at my sister. She may be a pain in the neck sometimes, but at least she isn't treating me like a complete fool.

"Do you think he is friendly even though you said he tried to attack you?"

I shrug. "I don't know. He might be friendly. I think Julian and I disturbed his peace."

"Do you think Mom would believe you? I know Dad doesn't want to hear a word about it."

I think about it for a second. The mention of Mom made me wish she was here with us. I know she would sit there and listen to every word I say about Bigfoot. She always listened to Sally and me when Dad didn't. With his job, he didn't have time to listen to anything. All he cared about was protecting the city from crime. Sometimes I'm still confused about why she had an affair, but at the same time I understand why she did. I just wish she had taken Sally and me with her.

I tell Sally that I think she would believe me. I wonder if the broadcast was aired in New York. She hasn't ringed to say she had seen me on television.

We finished up our dinner. Sally asks if we can stop by the station to see Dad on the way home. I wasn't really sure because I knew he wouldn't like it if we see him at work. Besides, he might be out on patrol, but I promise her I will take her over there.

We leave the restaurant. My car is parked in a dark corner of the parking lot. Parked beside it is a black van. It's quiet and not many people are here for dinner. I like it when it's not too crowded. A man is standing near the van, watching us as he smokes a cigarette. I pull my sister close to me to make sure she is safe. She doesn't like me holding her hand, but I don't listen to her. She continues to protest about it, but I'm stronger than her and she is unable to shake off my hand.

As we get closer to my car, the man standing beside the van walks closer to me, stomping out a cigarette.

"Excuse me. Are you one of the young men who claimed to have seen Sasquatch?"