Chapter 11

Julian wanted me to come with him to where his father's workplace where he owns an animal control business. He wanted to get the tranquilisers to use for our trip, but I rejected his offer for going with him. I could have gone, but I figured I should be getting home and not staying out too late. I didn't want to upset my dad even more. He will probably give me a lecture with the way I had acted. Or maybe he will apologise again for hitting me. Sometimes I wish he would talk to me about Mom rather than holding a grudge towards her.

Dad was in the living room watching television. He looks up from where he was watching The Mentalist. "It's good to see you back home."

He switches off the television and gets up, walking over to me.

"Listen, I'm sorry for striking you. I didn't mean it at all," he continues on. "It was a mistake and I want you to know I would never do something like that to hurt you."

I nod. "I know, Dad. I probably shouldn't have mentioned Mom. I know how you react when you hear her name."

"It's not your fault, David. I shouldn't let her get to me. I'm still hurt that she had left me to take care of you and your sister, leaving the three of us so she can be with her new family in New York."

"I understand."

We stand there in silence, staring at each other, not knowing what else to say. What could we say to each other without getting into an argument?

I say goodnight to him and walk up the stair case.

Half way up Dad calls out to me. "David, you do know that everything I do for you and Sally is to protect you, right?"

I turn to face him. "I know, Dad. But just so you know, I'm almost eighteen. You can't protect me with everything I decide to do. You just need to trust me that I know how to make the right decision."

Before he could say anything else to me, I quickly ran up the stairs to my room.

* * * * *

I wake up early the next morning, all set for the camping trip. Dad and I didn't really speak when I came down for breakfast. We just greeted each other and that was it. Sally soon joins us, but even then no one really talked, like we were afraid to even say a word to each other.

When seven thirty came, he kissed us both on the forehead, telling us he will see us later and leaves.

I wait until he backs the car out of the driveway before turning to Sally who is putting together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for school. "Julian and I are going up to the mountains, maybe camp there until tomorrow."

"I thought Dad said you couldn't go."

"I know he did, but I'm going up there anyway."

"What do you want me to tell him if he asks me where you are?"

I shrug. "Tell him I'm at Julian's."

"You just hope he doesn't go up to the mountains and look for you."

I chuckle. "He will have to figure out where we are. I'm not sure what area we are looking at yet."

"Do you really think you can find Sasquatch again?"

"I hope so. Listen, you get ready for school. Julian is coming over soon so I'm just going to get the camping gear from the basement."

I leave my sister and head downstairs to the basement. The camping gear is under the stairs. It has been years since my family went on a trip. We usually take it every year in the summer before school started and always the week before my birthday at the end of August. We stopped taking the trips when I turned fourteen, only because Dad was promoted to being the Sheriff, and doing family activities was something he didn't have time for anymore. It was like protecting the city of Seattle was more important than his family.