07

gonna start putting little polaroids for each chapter ^^ hope u like em! also, the song for this chapter is "can't get enough" by basenji :)

I spent the next considerable amount of time settling back into my life, my routine, and my apartment all by myself. I woke up the next day, after having one of the biggest and best sleeps of my life. I wasn't expected back at work until next week, so I had 4 days left to settle myself. Four very long days filled with short hours.

I had almost 3 weeks "off" before Niall began his tour. I was intrigued to begin, see what the whole tour life would consist of, but also equally scared, nervous, and stressed out. It wasn't the time for mistakes. I'd obviously decided to say yes, but not without my qualms. I was incredibly nervous based on not only what Niall had told me, but showed me. It had only been a couple of hours since the moment in the club would have happened before he was showing it to me, and despite the fact he wouldn't let me read the comments, I had an inkling as to what they might say. I was horrified, to say the least. And despite the fact I had a big fat contract lying around that basically said I wasn't allowed to be fired on the spot, I was still nervous about it all, even the logistical parts. I was required to take at least a couple of shots at every show, and for the most part, just be essentially disposable to Niall at all times. However, I doubted very much that he would be needing me 24/7, just maybe a soundcheck every now and then. I was also required to take any photos he wanted for any of his social media, but since he was a man, I also doubted he would need my services in relation to that very much at all. His Instagram and socials were a bit barren, to say the least. He was a very quiet, unbothered type of celebrity who just had a nature of being not controversial. Unfortunately for him, and now me, that didn't stop fans following him, paparazzi finding him, and everyone posting about him. But he still continued to remain unbothered, posted rarely and only engaged with his fans now and then. I sat in bed, just pondering all about how much Niall would or wouldn't need me, and decided to actually pick up my phone to see if he had responded. He had, and quite early in the morning, in fact.

Niall: can't wait to see you on tour x

Niall: let me know if you need anything before coming back.

Niall: how's your break so far?

Three texts, all one after another. They almost seemed formal, but playful at the same time. I had to force myself to remember that he was giving me a job, first and foremost. It wasn't about the roses or our long and meaningful conversation. It wasn't about how he seemed to be protective over me, and remorseful that he'd failed already. These things had nothing to do with my employment, and how I should behave towards him. I felt a shred of embarrassment, wondering if I was reading into the flowers too much. Roses are a nice gesture. Red roses are romantic, at least that's what I thought. I tried to think back to our conversation, how meaningful some of the words were. How he was protective over me, or maybe it was just of everyone that he worked with.

But then I remembered him saying he didn't usually get that close with other women, so why me? I wandered around in circles, trying to string things together until they pieced into a logical conclusion. But I ran dry. Then, I remembered my earliest texts to him. The kisses, the flirty nature of them, and felt a bit embarrassed as he didn't seem to return the favour. But, as the embarrassment crept in, I stared at the flowers, which I had changed the water already, placing them in a vase I now locked eyes with in my lounge room. I furrowed my eyebrows, really thinking. Maybe I was overthinking it. He bought me flowers for god's sake, surely he was somewhat interested? I thought to myself. Maybe him texting me like that was his way of flirting. I thought long and hard before responding.