Chapter 18 - My Pup

Charlie

Reality fades in and out. I am floating on the edge of my subconscious, as if on the ocean. Rising and cresting in my mind, I hear the water lapping and splashing.  Lana takes charge, but we don't physically change places. That would be fatal to the pup, but Lana is taking over and I am back in the recesses watching, waiting, barely aware. It's for the best, Lana is pure instinct and nature. We need to work as a team for our pup to survive this. For us all to survive.

Black silence envelopes me. Peace settles upon my mind and my body. I feel every nerve ending in my body down to my atoms. I shatter and the pieces are scattered like dandelion seeds on the wind, blown by the mouth of a giggling child. I am nothing and everything at this moment.

As the fragments of my soul reassemble in the dark, I can see shadows around me. I hear faint whispers like a wind brushing over my body, licking over my psyche. What are they whispering?

Suddenly, I am sucked back into awareness, like a bubble popping. My senses are overwhelmed with the bright lights, the harsh humming of the various medical devices and the pain ripping through my body.  My eyes remain closed and I cannot move, but I am achingly aware of everything around me.  Tears pool and drip down my temples.

The mood is tense as the medical team works quickly. I notice their voices rising and at first it's an undecipherable buzz. Then I hear their anxious dialog.

"The baby's heartbeat is getting weaker, doctor," a nurse exclaims, looking at the monitors and then at the team.

The anesthesiologist who sits at my head, responds promptly. "Starting oxygen at 2 liters per minute." He slips an oxygen cannula around my ears and into my nose, ignoring my tears. Oxygen is set up, and anesthesia is ready, should it be needed." she reports calmly.

The doctor nods, her face serious. The monitors suddenly began to blare, signaling fetal distress. The heartbeat becomes frenzied, its rhythm rapidly deteriorating into a distressing flatline.

"Please pass me the knife," the doctor instructs firmly. "We need to rescue the baby now! Get the neonatal team in here, STAT!"

My scream pierces the air: "Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"  Then silence.

"If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author for free, go to Wattpad/Mellie_readsnwrites."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

Jenson

Goddess! This has been one hell of a day. After leaving headquarters, I searched the grounds for Charlie. I finally found out that they had sent her to the hospital. Most everyone is preoccupied with the injured being carried in, so I go unnoticed as I search the emergency room for signs of her.

Asher rises from the inner synapses of my brain, like a fog he lifts up, strong. "Pup!" He demands.

I come to a screeching halt. "Wait? What?"

"Must find pup now! Mate and pup in danger." Asher commands.

"Charlie!" I shout. "Charlie! Where's Charlie?" I frantically approach the double doors that lead to the med bays.

I hear, "Sir! You can't go back there!" But I totally ignore the woman and begin ripping curtains back and throwing doors open. No one is going to keep us from finding her.