Chapter 25 - Lies, Lies & More Lies

Just more deja vu. I am sitting here in Jenson's office, looking at his face as he speaks to the group about his mistress and how he was tricked and possibly magic was used on him. As I watch his mouth move, all I can hear is: "Wah, wah, wah, wah." Just like Charlie Brown's teacher. I can't even make out what he is saying, but I don't have to. I heard it all before from the dream, when I watched it all play out from a third-party perspective. This time, I am no fool, I have already done my due diligence this morning and I know that everything coming out of his mouth is a lie. So, no shocker here.

The thing that does shock me though is his countenance. Once, colored by love, but not so much any longer, I see through the mask he has on. Did he always wear that mask? I don't know, but I don't recognize him now. Maybe it's just that my eyes are open, but he has a few tells. Truth be known, it's probably poor Asher, his wolf, fighting in there for him to be honorable. There's a nerve jerking in his jaw as he speaks things I know are untrue.  Then, his eyes blink rapidly a few times as the slippery lies glide easily over his tongue. The same tongue he has kissed me with...kissed others with. His face no longer beloved to me, but slimy. I shudder and lower my gaze in disgust.

Jenson and I have been friends since childhood. We started dating in high school. Found we were fated mates at 18 and married. I have been his Luna for five years. There hasn't been a time we hadn't been each other's best friend and then lovers. He was my person. How could he do this to the one he is supposed to love?  He acts no differently toward me, still tells me he loves me, makes love to me regularly; he gets surly and grouchy at times though.  That is new.

Gazing around the room, I see his Beta Ben, Elder Roberts, Elder Brooks, Dr. Bridgit, Tracy Vincent and his parents. Jenson's mother is overjoyed apparently. Her face is beaming and she can barely contain it. It must be the pup, because she was always nice albeit distant to me. His father is stoic. He is obviously unhappy.

Next, I look at the newest pack member being accepted today. She is livid. Her face is contorted while she appears to be trembling with suppressed anger. Her pregnant belly is protruding under her halter top and mini skirt. I guess you could call her pretty with her blond hair and blue eyes. She appears to be about 25.

"Do you have a problem, Ms. Vincent?" Jenson growls.

"No, Alpha." Ms. Vincent immediately shows her neck in submission and the fire in her eyes immediately vanishes. She looks like a scolded pup. I look at Jenson in surprise. I have never heard him speak to anyone in this way. Especially not a pregnant female. He must be afraid she would out his lies.  Getting a little surly with her too.  Good!

"You play, you pay, Jenson."  Lana's voice whispers sadly in my head. We are both sad for the loss of our true fated mate, especially Asher, his wolf. It's not his fault and our hearts ache for him. We can feel him pushing to the surface of our mate, battling for dominance. "I'm sorry, little mate. I tried, but he drugs me."  Asher agonizes.

I gasp as I realize we actually heard Asher speaking to us through the mind link. Jenson's demeanor doesn't change and he never stops speaking. He isn't aware that Asher is speaking to us, Lana.

"Asher, we love you and are sorry, but we have to leave." Lana soothes.

"I know Lana." Asher sobs. "Jenson and I both love you and Charlie very much. I know that because I can see it in his mind. That has never changed and will never change for me. But this has become an addiction to Jenson. He is never going to stop his cheating."

"Goodbye, sweet Asher." Lana and I vow simultaneously. "You will always have our love."

Outside, I sit here stoically, my face giving no indication, my stomach roils as Elder Franks inserts sadly. "Luna, I realize this has come as a shock to you. And none of us here want to hurt you or replace you. You are a wonderful Luna. But as you know, Alpha needs an heir and with you having been barren, this cruel twist of fate is actually a blessing in disguise." Everyone nods contemplatively in agreement.