Chapter 32 - DNA

Jenson

Dr. Bridgit called me down to the med bay. Apparently, when I had that mysterious illness just a couple weeks ago, she ran some tests on me. Now she wants to go over the test results. I walk into the clinic. "Good morning, Dr. Bridgit." I greet her as I knock on her open office door.

"Morning, Alpha. Please come in and have a seat."  I sit down at one of the armchairs across from her desk.  "Alpha, as you know, I ran some tests on you. I hadn't had the time to run through those results, but something came across our DNA database today, so I thought it was time for a conversation."

"Okay."  I sit back in the chair, trying to relax.  It's hard since Charlie's been gone.  I am always on edge, always have my warriors out looking for her.

"First, let's go over the test results." She began leafing through a file she had before her. "Of all the tests I performed, it has been determined that you have been dealing with a severe case of wolfsbane poisoning. That tea you were taking is almost pure wolfsbane. I am assuming the amateur spell that was cast on it helped disguise the potency."

"I know I didn't get to go over this with you sooner," she continues, "but by the time I discovered it, the wolfsbane was completely out of your system. However, it has left damage behind. In the simplest terms, Alpha, the vas deferens, or the tubes that carry $perm in your testes have been permanently severed by the wolfsbane. This injury has left you sterile."

"Are you saying I will never be able to father a pup?" I ask incredulously.

"There may be a chance to reverse the condition through surgeries, but it would be difficult. However, the option is there in the future. But, yes, you will never be able to father a pup without medical intervention and then there are no guarantees. The tea you took has left you infertile."

"Additionally, your $perm count is extremely low. I suspect that is something you have struggled with for years because I had previously examined Charlie and there was no medical reason she couldn't conceive. The fault of you and Charlie never getting pregnant has been with you all along."

I am speechless. I go to stand to leave as I want to process this on my own, but Dr. Bridgit stops me. "Please, Alpha, sit down. I still have some things to tell you." I take my seat.

"All the other tests came back okay." She remarked. "However, because of issues with population decline in the territory among shifters, there is a new mandate from the Alpha Commander. He has ordered that going forward, all medical tests, procedures, surgeries, births, deaths, etc. are to have a DNA analysis performed. It is hoped that our scientists can study the results and come up with answers to stop the population decline before we become extinct."

"Therefore, as per the mandate, at the same time I ran those tests, I extracted your DNA sequencing and everything that entails; and sent it into the Stone Mountain Genetic Research Institute. I was notified today that your DNA results are back. Which, in and of itself, is nothing. No noted anomalies. However, it came back with a match to a recent birth certificate and a death certificate."

"What does that mean, exactly?"

"Alpha, I don't know how to tell you this, so I will show it to you." She handed me the file that contained two sheets of paper. I read the first one. "Child's name:  Jenson Black, III." I look at Dr. Bridgit in confusion.

"Keep reading. Look at the mother and father."

"Charlie Ann Black! Jenson Black, II.!  What in the world is this, Dr. Bridgit? Explain this to me." I couldn't think straight; my mind felt like it was shutting down. I am confused and getting dizzy. Overwhelmed with these feelings, I am unable to understand what I hold in my hand.