Chapter 19 - I Have Always Loved You

Charlie

I blink my eyes open to look around the dark room. It is evening and I can see the full moon shining through the window. It's light casting shadows around the hospital room. A nurse walks in. "Oh good. You are awake. Are you ready to eat?" 

"Where is my pup?" I rasp out hoarsely.

"He had a bit of trouble, but when dad came in, he revived. Dad is in the nursery with him.  Would you like to try to breastfeed your pup?"

"How? What? What happened?"

"Why don't I order you a tray. We can get pup and dad in here and let him explain everything. The doctor has gone home for the day, but she'll be in to see you in the morning."

I nod, but I am shocked that Jenson actually showed up for the birth. How did he know? Just hours before I gave birth, he was accusing me of cheating on him.

A few minutes later, the nurse returns, pushing a bassinet. Jenson is behind her, holding a bundle in his arms. He is smiling brightly, but I can see the wariness around his eyes.

"I'll leave you three to it." The nurse smiles. "I've sent for a tray for you both. Do you need instructions on how to breastfeed, momma?"

"No.  I had a class on it last week." I say. "If I have trouble, I'll ring for you." She nods and leaves us alone.

Jenson lays the bundle on my chest. I pull the blanket back, checking his diaper I cry out. "It's a boy!"

"Oh, yeah." Jenson remarks. "You were out of it when he came into the world."

My little one lets out a soft cry. "I guess you need some dinner, my precious." I glance at Jenson.

"Are you okay with me being here?"

I nod. "The nurse said the pup had problems and your presence revived him. Stay. It's not anything you've never seen before."

"Okay." He jerks his head and turns away as I struggle weakly to bring the pup to my n!pple.

"I'm sorry. I need a little help." I admit.

"Oh, sure." He whips around and gently helps me move the pup to my breast. After a few seconds of rooting around, he latches on and settles contently and I pull the sheet up over us.

"I've missed you, Charlie." Jenson whispers. "I know you are tired and weak, but at some point, we need to talk. I know we have a huge misunderstanding between us, and I would like the opportunity to at least, talk and put your mind to rest. There has only ever been you."

His face is so earnest, but I am thoroughly confused. "That wasn't my impression when I left." I accuse. "I am not going anywhere, so talk."

There's a knock on the door. The nurse enters carrying a couple of trays. She places them on the overbed table. "Here's you guys some food." She looks at Jenson. "Make sure she eats as much as possible. I'll come back and check on you all later. If you need anything let me know." She turns and leaves, closing the door softly.

Jenson pulls his chair close and adjusts the overbed table to where he can reach it and it doesn't interfere with my feeding the pup. He removes the cover. "Looks like you have baked chicken breast with mashed potatoes and green beans." He cuts a piece of chicken and holds it to my lips. I eye him, remembering how he fed 'that pregnant female'. "Let me feed you, Charlie." He pleads. "While you feed our son."

"Funny! Not too long ago, you asked me who the father is. Now he's ours?" I spit. "You're giving me whiplash! Besides, all it does is remind me of how you pandered to the other woman who carried your child! I want no part of you."