Chapter 19: The coming storm

INT. FARM, SKYPATH - DAY

A young man in his early 20s, MATHIS, carries a bucket of water. He is tall with black hair flowing on both sides of his head and has green eyes. He walks towards a short man in his 40s, who has a bald head. This is MATHIS' father.

FATHER
Ah, thank you.

Father digs a small trench around some soiled ground. Mathis sets the bucket down by the trench.

FATHER
The harvest is coming.

Mathis nods.

FATHER
Hopefully, we can have plenty of food for ourselves this winter

MATHIS
No. You know the rules. Half the food goes to the king and his court in return for protection and shelter.

Mathis' father sighs.

FATHER
I know you're frustrated, but we must follow the rules. It's the only way we can have shelter and

MATHIS
And be slaves to him?

FATHER
I can not control the situation. The rules must be followed, or we'll be publicly executed.

Mathis nods, still frustrated.

MATHIS
Why hasn't someone tried to revolt?

FATHER
Because it's foolish. Skypath has the backing of Celdin.

MATHIS
But I thought they were enemies!

FATHER
Not to King Venza. Even though Goddess Celia doesn't lift one hand to help us... she despises Skypath.

Mathis looks into the horizon where the Celdin mountains can be seen. Goddess Celia is the creator, but it seems she only cares about Celdin. Skypath is pounded by seasonal snow storms.

MATHIS
One day... someone will stand up and say enough. One day, someone will challenge Celia, and everyone will be at peace.

Father nods, and they both look into the distance.