Chapter 21: Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

"Vedang, we need to talk!"

Vedang frowned. "about WHAT?"

Kriti glanced at Iraa, who looked away, her face pale. "It's about Iraa," Kriti said softly.

Vedang's concern deepened. "What about Iraa?"

Sidharth leaned forward, his voice low but firm. "Last night, Iraa overheard your conversation with Dev and me."

Vedang looked devastated. He turned to go over to Iraa but Kriti pulled him back. "wait"..

"I had no idea she heard that. I didn't mean it, Sid" Vedang looked at both of them like a small kid trying to convince his parents he didn't do anything wrong.

"I know Veda! I know everything..it was my fault too that I pushed you so much" Sidharth said sighing.

Vedang ran a hand through his hair, guilt washing over him. “I really didn’t mean it, Sidharth. I was just confused. I didn’t realize she felt that way.”

“Well, now you know,” Kriti said firmly. “You need to fix this.”

Vedang nodded, his mind racing. "I will. I just need to find the right moment."

Sidharth sighed. "You better make it soon, Veda. She’s really hurt."

Vedang watched Iraa from a distance, his heart aching. He knew he had to fix this, but he had no idea where to start.

They all reached home back during lunch time, everyone got busy in their stuff.

Meanwhile Vedang got up, determined to find Iraa and talk to her. He found her sitting alone on the porch, lost in thought.

“Iraa,” he said softly, approaching her.

She looked up, her eyes wary. “What is it, Vedang?”

"mujhe tumse baat karni hai,” he said, sitting down beside her. “About what you heard last night.”

She tensed, her heart pounding. “There’s nothing to talk about. You made your feelings clear.

Vedang shook his head. “No, I didn’t. I was confused, Iraa. I didn’t mean what I said.”

Iraa looked away, her eyes filling with tears. “It doesn’t matter, Vedang. I'll get over it.”

Vedang reached out, taking her hand in his. “Please, just listen to me. I was scared" "scared of what?"

“What’s going on?” Aditi asked, Iraa pulled her hand back, making her look suspiciously at both of them.

“Just sorting some things out,” Vedang replied, faking a smile.

The rest of the group joined them on the porch, sensing the heavy atmosphere.

Sidharth, always the peacemaker, clapped his hands together. "Alright, guys, today is all about fun and games," He announced, trying to lighten the mood.

Aditi suggested, "How about we play charades again"

"Sounds good," Vedang agreed, glancing at Iraa to gauge her reaction. She nodded, avoiding his eyes.

They divided into teams, and the game began with much enthusiasm. Dev was up first, and he picked a movie title from the bowl.

He exaggerated his actions, making everyone laugh as they tried to guess.

"Tum ho toh...Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna?" Kriti guessed, giggling at Dev’s antics.

"Correct!" Dev exclaimed, giving her a playful high-five. "Your turn, Kriti."

As the game continued, the room filled with laughter and for a brief moment, the tension between Iraa and Vedang seemed to dissipate. But as luck would have it, the next turn brought them face to face.

Vedang picked a slip from the bowl and glanced at it, then looked at Iraa with a hint of a smile. "Ready?"

Iraa nodded, feeling a flutter in her stomach. Vedang began acting out the title, and despite her resolve to stay distant, she found herself drawn into the game.

"Three words...first word...Dil?" she guessed, trying to decode his gestures.

Vedang nodded, encouraging her to continue. "Second word...something with hands...Haath?"

Vedang shook his head, mimicking a more precise action. "Dilwale?" Iraa tried again, getting closer.

He nodded eagerly. "Last word...oh, Rahe?"

Vedang grinned and gave her a thumbs up. "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge!"

The room erupted in cheers, and Iraa couldn't help but smile. For a moment, it felt like old times, before everything became so complicated.

At night

Aditi suggested they all go outside to look at the stars. They grabbed blankets and made their way to the lawn, spreading out under the clear night sky.

“This is beautiful,” Kriti said, lying back and gazing up at the stars.

“Absolutely,” Dev agreed, his voice unusually soft. “Reminds me of the camping trips we used to take as kids” Sidharth said looking at him as they both laughed.

"What did you guys do when you were small?" Iraa asked curious.

"hum teeno bhai chutti ke time used to go camping once in a month. Aditi kabhi toh join Karti thi. It was super fun. We all had our jobs I used to help dad and uncle make the tent" Dev said.

"I used to make the beds and campfire!" Sidharth continued remembering the times and smiling.

"And I used to cook the food with Choti Maa and mom" Vedang said as he sat down beside Iraa. Iraa tensed a bit, but smiled looking at all three of them happy.

"Since sab itne khush hai..I'll sing a song for you all" Sidharth said taking his guitar as everyone laid down, stargazing.

Sidharth started singing "Yellow Paper daisy by when chai met toast"

"I love this song!" Iraa exclaimed happily.

Vedang's POV

I was so glad she even let me sit beside her. She's so pretty. The way her eyes were shining while listening to then song.

I hated the way she looked at me right now, with hurt anger. I miss when she looked at me with those glowy doe eyes.

"Iraa," I called her. "Vedang please not right now" she said without even looking at me.

"please. I need to tell you how I feel," I whispered, my voice barely audible over the breeze.

Iraa looked at him, her heart aching. "Vedan-"

"shh" Vedang reached out, gently taking her hand.

"just..just listen to me once, bas ek chance" he pleaded , she sighed and nodded.

"thankyou.."

‐--------------------------------
Please comment & vote😭💙