CHAPTER 3

In the opulent mansion of the Malhotra family, the air was thick with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the tantalizing scent of an elaborate breakfast spread. The family’s dining room, a testament to their wealth and influence, was a blend of modern elegance and traditional charm. Crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling, casting a warm glow over the room, and the walls were adorned with expensive artwork.

Advik Malhotra, the eldest son of one of India’s most powerful business families, sat at the head of the table, his sharp, focused eyes scanning the morning newspaper. At 28, Advik was a picture of discipline and strength. His muscular frame, accentuated by the veins popping out on his forehead and hands, spoke of hours spent in rigorous training. He had a strict demeanor, tolerating no nonsense, and his disciplined approach had won him many admirers and a few adversaries in the business world. Despite being a doctor by profession, he had taken on the mantle of expanding his father's business empire, determined to take their chain of hotels and resorts to new heights.

"Dad," Advik said, looking up from his paper, "I believe it's crucial that we expand our business to Thailand. Many Indians vacation there, and it’s a prime location to establish our brand. Bangkok and other tourist hotspots present immense opportunities."

Mr. Malhotra, a shrewd businessman with decades of experience, listened intently. "You make a valid point, Advik. Expanding to East Asia could indeed be profitable. But we must approach this strategically."

As they discussed the logistics, Advik’s younger sister, Inaya, entered the room. At 15, Inaya was in class 10, a bright and lively girl with a love for adventure. She had a zest for life that often contrasted with her brother's stern disposition. Today, however, she seemed unusually subdued.

"Good morning," Inaya greeted, taking her place at the table. She glanced at her brother and then at her parents, her expression hesitant.

"What is it, Inaya?" her mother, Mrs. Malhotra, asked, noticing her daughter's unease. Mrs. Malhotra, dressed in an exquisite woven saree made of Zari and adorned with a necklace that glinted in the morning light, exuded grace and sophistication. She was preparing for an important meeting but always had time for her children.

Inaya took a deep breath and spoke in a low tone. "I’ve been thinking… I’d like to go to Thailand for a vacation. One of my old school friends lives there, and it would be a great opportunity to meet her again."

Advik looked up sharply, his expression immediately disapproving. "Absolutely not," he said, his voice firm. "You need to focus on your studies, Inaya. You're in class 10th, and it's crucial that you prepare for your exams. No more vacations until your exams are over"

Inaya's face fell, and she pushed her plate away, her appetite lost. She looked at her mother with pleading eyes, hoping for support. "But Bhaiya, it’s just for a week," she protested. "I promise I won't let it affect my studies."

Mrs. Malhotra glanced at her husband and then at Advik. "Advik, maybe a short break would do her good," she suggested gently. "A change of environment might help her focus better when she returns."

Advik’s expression remained stern. "Mom, I don't want her to cry over this in the early morning. Inaya, finish your breakfast. I'll drop you at school, and then I have meetings to attend."

Inaya pouted but did as she was told, picking up her fork reluctantly. Just then, Mr. Malhotra, who had been quietly observing the exchange, spoke up. "Advik, take Inaya with you for a week. Let her meet her friend and see a bit of the world. It might be beneficial for her."

Advik sighed, his resistance softening slightly in the face of his father's authority. "Alright," he conceded, "I’ll talk to her teachers and get feedback on her performance. If they think it's alright, I’ll book her tickets."