Chapter 03: Siblings

One day, while Elan was intently watching his father practice his fighting moves with his hunting friends, he then heard his mother call out, "Elan, come here and fetch some water down the river." Elan wanted to stay and watch, fascinated by the skill and strength of the hunters, but he knew he had responsibilities. His younger siblings needed to be bathed, a routine that was partly his fault because Elan insisted that his siblings stay clean so they wouldn't smell bad.

Despite his desire to continue watching, Elan knew he couldn't ignore his mother's call. His mother had started bathing his siblings regularly after Elan, and with his insistence on cleanliness, he pointed out how important it was. He had made such a fuss about hygiene that it had become a new standard in their household.

Elan also had a strong influence on the village children, encouraging them to bathe regularly. When Elan was six, children often wanted to play with him, but he had set a rule: "You need to bathe first before you can play with me because you smell bad." This straightforward comment made some of the children angry, accusing him of being too particular and fussy.

Despite the grumbling and occasional resentment from other kids, Elan stood by his principles. He believed that cleanliness was important, a value he carried over from his past life. This conviction often put him at odds with the other children, but he knew it was for the better.

Eventually, the children relented, and they began to bathe daily. This change didn't stop with them; it extended to their parents as well. Initially, the parents were resistant to the idea. However, as time went on, the children began to avoid their parents, complaining that they smelled bad. This behavior finally pushed the parents to start bathing regularly too, albeit not daily like their children. They settled into a routine of bathing three to four times a week, which was a significant improvement from before.

Elan's influence had a ripple effect throughout the village. The sight of children playing together, all clean and fresh, became a common one. The parents, seeing the positive changes in their children, started to understand the importance of hygiene. Though it was a gradual process, the overall cleanliness of the village improved noticeably. Elan was even praised by his parents and the elders of the village.

When Elan arrived at their cottage, he opened the door and saw his mother bathing his two younger siblings, Kael Starwind and Liora Starwind.

Kael, who was born when Elan was five, had a head full of tousled brown hair and bright blue, curious eyes. He was always full of energy, constantly asking questions and exploring his surroundings. Even now, in the bath, he was splashing around and giggling, his playful nature evident.

Liora, born when Elan was seven, was a beautiful little girl with striking blue eyes and soft, golden curls. She had a gentle demeanor, often watching the world around her with a thoughtful expression. In the bath, she sat and wiggled, enjoying the warmth of the water. Her delicate features were serene and content.

Elan smiled as he looked at his two siblings, feeling the joy of having a family. In his past life, he had never had siblings to influence or care for, so this experience was entirely new and fulfilling for him.

In his past life, Elan had always been lonely as a child. The absence of siblings left a void, and he channeled his loneliness into his studies. From a very young age, he dedicated himself to academics, earning honors from his school days through college and eventually becoming a scientist. He often wondered if having siblings might have changed his path—perhaps he wouldn't have become a scientist, and he might never have met his wife.

Now, in this life, Elan could finally experience the joys of having siblings. He never expected to know both the loneliness of an only child and the warmth of a large family. This newfound experience brought him immense happiness and a sense of fulfillment he had never known before.

At just eight years old, Elan felt a deep sense of contentment with his life.

After a moment of contemplation, he picked up the two buckets to fill with water from the river outside their village.

Elan stepped out of their cottage and headed towards the river. As he walked, he greeted the children, parents, and some elders he passed along the way. "Hello, Elan!" a group of children called out, waving excitedly. Elan smiled and waved back, enjoying the friendship. Parents and elders nodded in acknowledgment, offering warm smiles and kind words. "Good day, Elan," an elder said, patting his shoulder as he passed.

After several minutes, Elan finally reached the river. Before filling the buckets, he paused to look at his reflection in the water. His medium brown hair fell softly around his face, and his light blue eyes stared back at him, clear and bright. He touched his face, tracing the familiar features with his fingers. "It's still the same face," Elan murmured to himself, marveling at the continuity between his past life and his current one.

As a scientist, he had always questioned the unexplainable. Before arriving here, he did not believe in reincarnation or time travel. He was always a man of facts and logic, and these concepts had seemed like mere fantasies to him—until he was proven wrong. Now, his beliefs had been blasted away like an explosion, literally.

Elan wondered what other fantastical things might be real, or even if a higher power existed. He looked up at the sky and whispered, "If a higher power truly exists, thank you for the second chance."

After saying those words, Elan looked around to admire the rich and healthy environment surrounding him. The lush greenery, the vibrant colors of the flowers, and the majestic trees all contributed to a sense of tranquility and abundance. The air was fresh and pure, a stark contrast to the often polluted atmosphere of his past life. The water in the river was crystal clear, reflecting the sky like a flawless mirror.

Elan took a deep breath, savoring the clean air, and felt a profound appreciation for the simple beauty of the world. He marveled at how good the air and how tasty the water were here, free from the contaminants he once considered a norm in his past life.

Elan began to fill the two buckets with water. The coolness of the water against his skin was refreshing, and he worked steadily until both buckets were full. Once he was done, he lifted them and started his journey back to the village.

When he arrived at their cottage, his younger brother Kael immediately exclaimed, "You took so long! I'm almost dry now. I still have to play after this." Then he laughed.

Elan poured the water from the two buckets into their larger container and retorted, "Next time, you fetch the water yourself if you want it done quickly."

Their mother, overhearing the exchange, said to Kael, "Oh, so you plan to play right after your bath? You'll just get dirty again." She then turned to Elan and asked for his help, "Elan, can you help bathe your sister? She's very active and wriggly, and it's quite a challenge to keep her still."

Elan smiled and nodded, happy to help. He walked over to where his sister Liora was sitting, her golden curls already damp from the bath. She looked up at him with her big blue eyes and giggled. Elan gently took the cloth from his mother and began to help wash Liora, making sure to be careful and thorough.

After bathing his siblings, Elan helped his mother dress them. Once they were both clean and dressed, Elan picked up Liora from his mother and carried her outside, with Kael following closely behind. As soon as they were outside, Kael ran off excitedly to join the other children his age to play. His small legs moved quickly, and he laughed as he ran towards his friends. Elan's mother shook her head with a smile, watching Kael's energetic departure.

Elan held Liora gently as they walked, her small hands gripping his shirt. She cooed and looked around with wide-eyed curiosity, taking in the sights and sounds of the village.

After making sure Liora was comfortable and safe, Elan set her down to play near their cottage, where his mother could keep an eye on her. He then returned to the spot where he had been watching the hunters and his father train before his mother had called him earlier.

Resuming his place, Elan observed the training with keen interest. The hunters moved with precision and strength, their movements were fluid and well-practiced. His father, leading the session, demonstrated various techniques and strategies, his experience evident in every motion.

Elan's thoughts turned inward as he watched. 'Soon, I will start training too.'