Chapter 04: Training

In the heart of the village, a group of children were gathered, practicing the movements and techniques essential for capturing or killing the wild animals that roamed beyond their village borders. The air was filled with their determined grunts and the soft thud of their feet on the packed dirt as they moved through their drills. Each child was focused, their expressions serious, as they followed the instructions given to them.

The children practiced a variety of movements, from swift, silent steps meant to approach prey unnoticed to powerful, precise strikes designed to incapacitate swiftly. They worked in pairs, taking turns as predator and prey, honing their reflexes and their ability to anticipate their opponent's moves. Some children practiced climbing and moving through large, makeshift trees, mimicking the agility needed to navigate the dense forest canopy. Others focused on ground maneuvers, perfecting their ability to track, stalk, and ambush.

One of the children was Elan, who was now thirteen years old. At this age, children in the village began their formal training. For one year, they would learn and practice the skills necessary for hunting under the watchful eyes of the seasoned hunters. After this period of rigorous training, they would be ready to join the experienced hunters on actual hunts, venturing beyond the safety of the village for the first time.

Leading the training session was Gawin, the right hand of Elan's father and a seasoned hunter known throughout the village for his skill and wisdom. Gawin stood at the front, his eyes sharp and observant as he watched the children's progress. Despite his stern demeanor, he often paused to offer words of encouragement, his deep voice carrying across the training ground.

"Remember, every movement you make must be purposeful. When you step, feel the ground beneath your feet. Be aware of every twig and leaf. Your enemy is not just the beast you hunt, but also the forest that conceals you both. Learn to use it to your advantage."

He walked among the children, correcting their stances, adjusting their grips, and demonstrating the techniques with fluid ease. "Your strength lies not only in your muscles but in your mind. Outwit your prey, anticipate its moves, be patient, and strike only when the moment is right."

Gawin paused in front of Elan, watching as he executed a series of swift, precise movements. He nodded approvingly. "Elan, you show great promise. But remember, strength without control is like a river without banks. Channel your power and focus it. Only then will you truly master the hunt."

Turning to the rest of the children, Gawin raised his voice, ensuring every child could hear his words. "You are the future protectors of our village. The skills you learn now will not only feed us but will keep us safe. Train hard, trust in yourselves and each other. Together, we are stronger than any danger that lurks in the forest."

The children responded with determination and continued with their training.

As the sun dipped lower in the sky, casting long shadows across the training ground, Gawin called for a break. The children collapsed on the ground, sweaty and panting heavily. Some of them grumbled, complaining about the exhaustion and the pain in their bodies. Gawin overheard their grumbling and addressed them firmly.

"This is for your own future, if we don't train you, what will become of you when you grow up? Will you just eat and sleep all day?"

The children fell silent immediately upon hearing his words, realizing the truth and gravity of his statement.

Elan, as he lay on the ground, exhausted and in pain, did not utter a single complaint. He even felt a sense of pride because this was a new experience for him, unlike anything he had encountered in his past life. He reflected on the differences between his former existence and his current one. As a scientist in his previous life, Elan had become accustomed to mental exertion and long hours in the lab. Physical pain and rigorous training were foreign concepts to him. The challenges he faced now, though demanding, were also invigorating.

Elan knew that this training was essential not just for survival but for their way of life. He looked around at his peers, understanding their complaints but also hoping they would see the value in their efforts. This new life, with all its challenges, was a gift for him, and Elan was determined to make the most of it.

After a ten-minute break, Gawin called the children to fall in line. He had something important to say before ending their training for the day.

"Listen up, everyone," Gawin began, his voice carrying a tone of authority and encouragement. "You have three more months left of training before you begin your first hunt. These final three months are crucial. You must give it everything you have. Show us what you've learned, and push yourselves to improve even more."

The children listened intently, their earlier complaints forgotten in the face of Gawin's earnestness.

"At the end of the last month, we will reward the most skilled and dedicated among you with a special weapon. This weapon is not just a tool; it is a symbol of your hard work and your commitment to our village. It will be given to the one who shows the greatest improvement, the one who embodies the spirit of a true hunter."

Excitement buzzed through the group. The prospect of earning a special weapon ignited a fire in their hearts. They exchanged determined glances, each child silently vowing to strive harder.

"This is your chance to prove yourselves, no more complaints, no more holding back. Work hard, learn everything you can, and show us your true potential. I believe in each one of you. You have the strength and the courage to become great hunters."

The children, energized by Gawin's speech, responded with a unified promise. "We will work hard! No more complaints!" they shouted, their voices ringing with excitement.

Elan, in particular, felt a surge of competitive spirit. Even in his past life, he had always strived to be the best, not out of a desire for personal glory but because he wanted to ensure that no one ever questioned his capabilities. Elan wanted people to trust in him, to rely on his skills and judgment without doubt.

His drive to excel wasn't about being the best of the best; it was about proving his worth and competence. He wanted to be someone others could count on, someone who could be depended upon in times of need. This desire to earn the trust and confidence of those around him.

Elan's competitive nature, honed in his previous life as a scientist, pushed him to work harder and aim higher. He remembered how, in his past life, he had poured countless hours into his research, always seeking to push the boundaries of what was possible. That same relentless drive was now manifested in his training. He was determined to outshine his peers, not for the sake of winning but to demonstrate his capability and reliability.

As he looked around at his fellow trainees and friends, seeing the fire in their eyes, he noticed that they were just as competitive and determined as he was. Then, he glanced at his three best friends, who were also preparing themselves with serious expressions. A smile spread across his face, and he muttered under his breath, "Bring it on!" as he clenched his fist.