Chapter 08: You Fool

Blocking their path was a massive beast, with eyes that glowed with predatory intelligence. It had the body of a lion, but its coat was striped like a tiger's. The creature had the muscular build of both animals combined, with powerful legs and a sleek, agile form. Its most terrifying feature was its long, curved sabre teeth, which protruded menacingly from its upper jaw.

Daren and Torin were experienced hunters, but they were visibly shaken. They had never encountered such a beast before. Its presence, so close to their village, was alarming. Daren exchanged a worried glance with Torin.

"I've never seen anything like this, why is it here, so close to the village? This area has never had such dangerous predators."

Torin nodded, his eyes never leaving the beast. "If there are more of these creatures around, we're in serious trouble. One of them is already a nightmare; if there are others, we won't stand a chance."

Despite their fear, Daren and Torin knew they had to control the situation to prevent panic. They suppressed their terror, focusing on the task at hand. Daren addressed the group, his voice steady but urgent.

"Listen carefully," Daren commanded. "Do not run. If you run, this beast will attack. Stay calm and follow our instructions exactly."

Most of the group was paralyzed with fear. The sight of the enormous beast and its menacing teeth rendered them motionless. Elan, although scared, managed to keep his composure and took a deep breath.

Daren continued, "We need to move slowly to the right, giving the beast a clear view of the cowbull. It might only be interested in the cowbull. Move slowly and stay together."

The children, including Elan, nodded and began to move as instructed. They hoped fervently that the beast was only after the cowbull.

With painstaking slowness, the group shifted to the right. The beast watched them intently, its glowing eyes following their every move. The tension was palpable, each second stretching into eternity. The children kept their eyes on Daren and Torin, following their lead.

As the group moved slowly to the right, the beast also moved slowly to the left. However, its eyes never strayed to the carcasses of the two cowbulls. Instead, it kept its gaze fixed on the group.

This continued until the group and the beast had switched sides. Only then did the beast glance at the cowbull carcasses. It stepped on one of the cowbulls but quickly looked back at Elan's group and let out a powerful roar.

Seeing the beast step on the cowbull, the group thought that the beast was only interested in the cowbulls. But when the beast roared again, its eyes locked on them, and the fear among the group intensified.

Suddenly, one of the children at the back of the group, terrified by the beast's roar, bolted towards the village. He didn't even hesitate, thinking that now that they had changed positions, he might reach the village safely.

Daren, Torin, Elan, and the other children noticed the boy running and realized the danger. The beast, alerted by the sudden movement, pounced on them.

"Shit!" Daren and Torin cursed as they used their spears to attack the wild beast. But the beast merely swatted their spears away with its powerful right paw, sending Daren and Torin flying about two meters. They had expected the beast to be strong, but they were unprepared for just how powerful it truly was.

Struggling to get back on their feet, Daren and Torin found it difficult due to the pain coursing through their bodies. Before they could fully stand, the beast pounced again, this time targeting Torin, who was closest.