international

The week of the international break arrives with a mix of excitement and nerves. It's the start of the group stages of the Euros, and the atmosphere is electric. Emily and I pack our bags and head to London, where the team will be meeting at St. George's Park. Fortunately, Emily's sister lives in London, so she'll be staying with her while I'm with the team, ensuring we can still see each other and she can come watch my matches.

The drive from Manchester to London is filled with anticipation. We talk about the upcoming games, the challenges ahead, and the excitement of being part of such a significant tournament. Emily's encouragement and unwavering support keep me grounded.

We arrive at Emily's sister's place in the early afternoon. The house is cozy and welcoming, and her sister greets us with open arms.

"Welcome, you two!" she says, hugging Emily first, then me. "I'm so excited to have you here, Maddie. We'll be cheering you on every step of the way."

"Thanks, it means a lot," I reply, smiling warmly. "I'm glad Emily will have you to keep her company while I'm with the team."

We spend a little time catching up before I need to head to St. George's Park. Emily walks me to the door, her hand in mine, squeezing it gently.

"You're going to do amazing, Maddie," she says, her eyes full of pride and love. "I'll be at every match, cheering you on."

I pull her into a tight hug, savoring the moment. "Thanks, Em. Knowing you're there makes all the difference. I'll give it everything I've got."

We share a quick kiss, and then I'm off, driving the short distance to St. George's Park. The team is buzzing with excitement as players arrive, each one determined and focused on the task ahead.

I pull into the parking lot, grab my bags, and head inside to join my teammates. The facilities at St. George's Park are top-notch, and the energy is palpable. We gather for our first meeting, and the coaches lay out the plans for the upcoming days of training and preparation.

As the meeting wraps up, I find a quiet moment to text Emily, letting her know I've settled in.

"Hey, I'm all set here. Missing you already. Can't wait to see you at the match. Love you."

Her reply comes almost instantly.

"Miss you too. Love you lots. Go show them what you're made of! I'll be there cheering you on."

The week flies by in a blur of intense training sessions, strategy meetings, and team bonding activities. The atmosphere is focused but positive, everyone determined to make the most of this opportunity.

Finally, the day of our first group stage match arrives. As we board the bus to the stadium, my thoughts drift to Emily, knowing she's in the stands, watching and supporting me. The pressure is immense, but the knowledge that she's there, along with her sister, gives me strength.

Stepping onto the pitch, the roar of the crowd fills my ears. I take a deep breath, soaking in the energy and excitement. This is what I've been working for, and I'm ready to give it my all.

As the game kicks off, I feel a sense of calm and focus. No matter what happens, I know I have the support of those who matter most. And with that thought, I push forward, determined to make every moment count.

The first group stage match against Sweden is underway, and the intensity is palpable. The crowd's energy surges through me as I step onto the pitch. From the start, it's clear that Sweden has marked me as their primary target, shadowing my every move with aggressive precision.

Stay focused, Maddie. Keep your head in the game.

The first half is a whirlwind. I'm on fire, my movements sharp and decisive. Every touch, every pass feels right. Despite Sweden's relentless pressure, I find my rhythm, weaving through their defense. Then, the moment comes. I spot an opening from far out, the ball at my feet. I draw back and unleash a powerful shot. The ball arcs beautifully, rocketing into the top corner of the net. The stadium explodes with cheers.