I'm so sorry

Just as I was starting to calm down, the door to the medical office opened, and Jonas walked in. His expression was a mix of concern and seriousness, and I immediately felt a wave of guilt wash over me. The first thing that came to mind was how I'd let him and the team down.

"Jonas, I'm so sorry," I blurted out, my voice still weak and raspy. I couldn't meet his eyes, the weight of my actions pressing down on me.

Jonas crossed the room quickly and knelt down beside the bed, his face softening. "Maddie, don't worry about that right now. How are you feeling?"

I was taken aback by his response, expecting a lecture about keeping my temper in check. "I... I'm okay, I think. Just... really tired and my chest hurts."

He nodded, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "We'll get you taken care of. Your health and well-being come first. The rest can wait."

Leah and Katie exchanged relieved glances, grateful that Jonas wasn't adding to my stress. Leah spoke up, "She had a really bad panic attack, but she's starting to calm down now."

Jonas looked at Leah, then back at me. "We'll make sure you get the rest and support you need, Maddie. You've been through a lot."

I felt tears welling up again, but this time they were from a mix of relief and gratitude. "Thank you, Jonas," I whispered.

He gave me a reassuring smile. "Focus on getting better. We're here for you."

Jonas stayed with us for a while, ensuring that the medical staff had everything they needed to help me recover. His presence was calming, and I felt a bit of the weight lifting from my shoulders. The team had my back, and I wasn't alone in this.

Before leaving, Jonas looked at me one last time. "Rest up, Maddie. We'll talk more when you're ready, but for now, just take care of yourself."

I nodded, feeling a flicker of hope amidst the chaos. With Leah and Katie by my side, and Jonas's understanding, I knew I could get through this.

After what felt like ages, I finally started to feel closer to normal. The panic attack's grip on me loosened, and I could breathe easier. Leah and Katie helped me sit up, and then, carefully, they helped me stand. My legs still felt weak, but I could manage to walk around with their support.

"You okay to try walking a bit more?" Leah asked, her arm around my waist.

I nodded, taking a tentative step. "Yeah, I think so."

We walked slowly around the medical office, Leah and Katie on either side of me. The movement felt good, grounding me back in reality. After a few minutes, I felt steady enough to walk on my own, though Leah kept a watchful eye on me.

"Let's get you home," Katie said gently. "You need rest."

I agreed, and we made our way to the car. The drive was quiet, the events of the day hanging heavily in the air. When we arrived back at the house, I hesitated before getting out of the car.

"Leah," I said softly, "can you stay with me tonight?"

Leah looked at me, her eyes filled with understanding. "Of course, Maddie. I'm not going anywhere."

Katie helped us inside and made sure I was settled on the couch with a blanket. She gave me a reassuring pat on the shoulder before heading into the kitchen to make some tea.

Leah sat beside me, her presence comforting and steady. "Do you want to talk about it?" she asked gently.

I shook my head. "Not right now. Just... stay with me."

She nodded and took my hand, squeezing it lightly. "I'm here, Maddie."

We sat in comfortable silence, the weight of the day slowly lifting. Katie returned with tea, and we sipped it quietly, the warmth soothing my frazzled nerves. As the evening went on, I felt more and more at ease, the support of my friends wrapping around me like a safety net.