sorry

By the time lunchtime rolled around, I felt like I was at my breaking point. The morning had been a blur of sympathetic looks from teachers and whispers from classmates who had seen the fight. My body ached from where Sarah had hit me, and my head was pounding from all the stress.

I picked at my food in the cafeteria, unable to muster up an appetite. The noise around me felt overwhelming, each laugh and shout a sharp reminder that my world was falling apart. I couldn't do this anymore. I needed to get away.

Making a decision, I quietly slipped out of the cafeteria. I walked quickly down the hall, my heart pounding as I made my way to the exit. I knew skipping school was a terrible idea, but I couldn't stay here any longer. I needed space to breathe, to think, to not feel so trapped.

Once outside, I took a deep breath, the cool air filling my lungs and giving me a brief moment of relief. I started walking, not really knowing where I was going, just needing to move.

I ended up at the park near our house. It was quiet during the day, with only a few people around. I found a bench and sat down, pulling my knees up to my chest. For a while, I just watched the leaves rustling in the breeze, trying to calm my racing thoughts.

I thought about Maddie in the hospital, about the fear and uncertainty that had taken over our lives. I thought about Mum and Dad, who were trying so hard to keep everything together. And I thought about Ella and Dylan, who were doing their best to be strong for all of us.

The more I thought about it, the more I felt the tears start to well up. I let them fall, feeling a strange mix of relief and sadness as they ran down my cheeks. I cried for Maddie, for my family, for myself. It felt like the first time I had allowed myself to truly feel the weight of everything that had happened.

After what felt like hours, I finally wiped my tears away and took a deep breath. I knew I couldn't stay here forever. I had to go back, but not until school was out. Ella would freak out if she found out I had skipped.

I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering the park, trying to gather my thoughts. By the time school was letting out, I started the walk home, taking my time to ensure I wouldn't arrive too early.

When I finally got home, Ella was there, waiting for me with a worried look on her face. "Hey, Lauryn. How was school?"

I forced a smile, trying to act normal. "It was okay."

She studied my face for a moment, probably noticing the tiredness in my eyes. "Are you sure? You look like you've had a rough day."

I shrugged, feeling the weight of the day settle back on my shoulders. "Just tired. I think I'll go lie down for a bit."

Ella nodded, her eyes softening with understanding. "Okay. Let me know if you need anything."

I headed to my room, feeling a strange mix of relief and guilt. I had escaped for a while, but the problems were still there, waiting for me. As I lay on my bed, I thought about what I would say to Maddie when she woke up, about how I would tell her everything and how we would get through this together.

For now, I just needed to rest and gather my strength. Tomorrow would be another day, and I would face it as best I could.

I had just settled onto my bed, trying to let the events of the day wash over me, when I heard a soft knock on my door. Ella walked in, her face a mix of concern and disappointment. I could instantly tell that something was wrong.

"Lauryn," she began, her voice steady but with an edge to it. "I just got a call from Mum. The school called her and said you weren't in school for the afternoon."