home

The past few days had flown by, filled with a flurry of activity and anticipation. Tomorrow was my discharge day, and I was both excited and nervous about leaving the hospital. The idea of going home was comforting, but I knew it also meant facing the reality of my recovery head-on.

I was sitting up in bed, flipping through a magazine, when my parents, Leah, and Katie walked in. They all looked serious, which immediately put me on edge. Something was up.

"Maddie," Mum began, her voice gentle but firm, "we've been talking, and we think it's best for you to come home with us while you recover."

I blinked, not sure I had heard her right. "Home? You mean back to Dublin?"

Dad nodded, his expression equally serious. "Yes, Maddie. We think it's the best place for you right now."

My heart sank. "But what about my say in all of this?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. "This is my life we're talking about."

Katie stepped forward, her face filled with concern. "Maddie, we just want what's best for you. You need to focus on your recovery, and we think being at home with family is the best way to do that."

I shook my head, feeling a mix of frustration and anger building up. "London is my home. My friends, my work, my team—everything is here. You can't just decide this for me."

Leah placed a hand on my arm, trying to calm me down. "We're not trying to take anything away from you, Maddie. We just think you need to be somewhere you can fully rest and recover."

I pulled my arm away, feeling the sting of tears in my eyes. "You've already made up your minds, haven't you? You've packed my stuff without even asking me."

Mum sighed, looking genuinely pained. "We're sorry, Maddie. We know this is hard, but we really believe this is the best thing for you."

I clenched my fists, trying to keep my emotions in check. "I need to be where my life is. You can't just uproot me like this."

Dad stepped closer, his voice calm but firm. "This isn't permanent, Maddie. Just until you're back on your feet. Please understand we're doing this out of love."

I looked around the room at their faces, seeing the concern and determination in their eyes. They thought they were doing what was best for me, but it felt like they were taking away my agency, my ability to make decisions about my own life.

"Fine," I said, my voice breaking slightly. "But I don't have to like it."

They all looked relieved, but the tension in the room was still thick. I felt trapped, caught between my family's love and my own desire for independence. Tomorrow, I would leave the hospital, but it felt like I was leaving so much more behind.

I turned away from them, not wanting to see the worry in their eyes. "I just need some time alone," I said quietly.

They nodded and slowly filed out of the room, leaving me to my thoughts. I lay back against the pillows, staring up at the ceiling. Tomorrow, I would be going back to Dublin, back to a place that didn't feel like home anymore. I just hoped I could find a way to reconcile my need for recovery with my need for my own life.

The next morning came, and the air was thick with tension. I could feel my stubbornness rising like a shield around me, ready to protect myself from the unfairness of it all. The past few days had been a whirlwind, and now, I was being forced to leave the city I loved and head back to Dublin.

Katie and Leah had stayed with me as long as they could, but they had to get back to their commitments with Arsenal. They looked exhausted and worried as they helped me gather my things at the hospital.