no

I sat in the cold, sterile waiting area of the hospital, my heart pounding with each passing second. I had already called Katie, barely able to get the words out through my panic. Now, I was just waiting, hoping, and praying for some good news about Maddie.

Every few moments, I would glance at the entrance, willing Katie to appear. Finally, the doors swung open, and I saw her rushing in, her phone pressed to her ear. Relief washed over me, but it was quickly replaced by renewed anxiety as I saw the worry etched on her face.

"Mum, I'm here now," Katie said into the phone, her voice strained and urgent. "I'll call you back once I know more."

She hung up and hurried over to me, her eyes wide with fear. "Leah, what happened?" she asked, her breath coming in short gasps.

I stood up, feeling the weight of the situation pressing down on me. "Katie, I found Maddie in her room. She wasn't breathing. I called the ambulance, and they took her in... I don't know what's going on now," I said, my voice cracking with emotion.

Katie put a hand on my shoulder, trying to steady me even as her own fear was palpable. "We'll find out soon. She's in the best place possible," she said, though her voice wavered.

We sat down together, the silence of the waiting room almost deafening. I kept glancing at the clock, each tick feeling like an eternity. Finally, a nurse approached us, her expression serious but not without a hint of reassurance.

"The doctors are with Maddie now," she said. "We'll update you as soon as we can. Please try to stay calm."

Katie nodded, squeezing my hand tightly. "Thank you," she managed to say.

As the nurse walked away, I leaned back in the chair, closing my eyes for a moment. Katie was still holding my hand, her grip firm and steady. I took a deep breath, trying to draw strength from her presence.

"We'll get through this," Katie said quietly, more to herself than to me. "We have to."

All I could do was nod, hoping she was right.

About an hour later, the doctor finally came into the waiting area. He had a solemn look on his face as he approached us. My heart was in my throat, and I could barely breathe from the anxiety.

"Katie, Leah," he started, his voice calm but heavy. "Maddie was brought in after taking a significant amount of pills. The overdose caused her to stop breathing."

I felt Katie's grip on my hand tighten, her nails digging into my skin, but I didn't mind. The doctor continued, explaining the medical details, but I couldn't focus. I needed to know if Maddie was okay.

"Is she okay?" I blurted out, my voice shaking. "Please, just tell us if she's going to be okay."

The doctor paused, his eyes reflecting the gravity of the situation. "I'm so sorry," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "Despite our best efforts, Maddie didn't make it."

The world seemed to stop. Katie let out a choked sob, and I felt like I was falling into a dark, bottomless pit. My vision blurred, and I could barely hear anything over the roaring in my ears.

"No," I whispered, shaking my head. "No, this can't be happening."

Katie broke down completely, her cries filling the silent waiting room. I felt completely numb, unable to process the enormity of the loss. Maddie was gone. The realization hit me like a freight train, and I collapsed into Katie, both of us clinging to each other for support.

The doctor stepped back, giving us a moment. I could hear Katie's desperate sobs, feel her shaking against me, but I couldn't find the words to comfort her. I couldn't even comfort myself.