fans

The day of the match against Manchester United arrived, and from the moment we stepped onto the pitch, I could feel the tension in the air. The crowd was relentless, their jeers and taunts echoing through the stadium.

"Hey McCabe, where's your dignity?" one fan shouted, while others chanted derisive songs aimed directly at me. I tried to block it out, but the words cut deep.

Leah was beside me, her hand brushing against mine as a silent gesture of support. "Ignore them, Maddie. Focus on the game," she said softly.

The referee blew the whistle to start the match, and I pushed all the negativity to the back of my mind. But it wasn't easy. Every touch of the ball, every movement I made, seemed to provoke more mocking from the stands. I could hear the laughter, the cruel comments about the photo, about my relationship with Leah, about everything.

"Nice try, McCabe! Too bad you're better at taking pictures than playing football!" a particularly loud voice jeered as I missed a shot on goal.

My chest tightened, but I forced myself to keep going. I had to prove to myself, to my team, that I was stronger than their words. Leah and Katie were playing with their usual intensity, but I could see the worry in their eyes every time they glanced my way.

In the second half, I finally managed to break through United's defense. I was determined to silence the crowd, if only for a moment. I dribbled past two defenders and took a powerful shot. The ball sailed into the net, and for a brief, glorious second, the jeers were replaced by stunned silence.

But it didn't last. As I celebrated with my teammates, the insults resumed, even louder than before. "One lucky shot doesn't make you a player, McCabe!" someone shouted, followed by more laughter.

Leah pulled me into a hug, whispering in my ear, "You did great, Maddie. Don't let them get to you."

I nodded, trying to believe her words. But the relentless mockery was wearing me down. By the time the final whistle blew, I was exhausted, not just physically but emotionally. The match ended in a draw, but it felt like a loss to me.

Back in the locker room, the atmosphere was somber. The team tried to lift my spirits, but I could see the frustration and sympathy in their eyes. They knew what I was going through, but they also knew there was little they could do to stop it.

"Maddie, you played a great game," Jonas said, his voice firm. "Don't let the crowd get into your head. You're stronger than that."

I nodded, forcing a smile. "Thanks, Coach."

As I sat on the bench, wrapping my arm around my knees, Leah came over and sat beside me. She didn't say anything, just took my hand and squeezed it gently. It was enough to remind me that I wasn't alone, even when it felt like the whole world was against me.

We had another match to prepare for, another battle to fight. And no matter how hard it got, I knew I had to keep going. For my team, for Leah, and most importantly, for myself.

As Leah and I made our way back to the car, the sting of the match still fresh in my mind, I noticed a small group of fans gathered outside the stadium fence. At first, I thought they might just be there to catch a glimpse of their favorite players, but as we got closer, their hostile expressions made it clear they were waiting for me.

"Hey, McCabe!" one of them shouted, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Nice game today. Too bad you're more famous for your scandals than your skills."

I felt Leah's hand tighten around mine, a silent reminder that she was there with me. I tried to keep my head down and keep walking, but the barrage of insults continued.