tough

The whistle blew, signaling the start of the final, and the intensity was palpable. Germany came out strong, their aggressive playstyle immediately evident. Every tackle, every challenge was hard and borderline illegal. It was clear they intended to dominate through physicality as much as skill.

The first ten minutes were a whirlwind of fast-paced action, with Germany pushing the limits of the rules. They played dirty, their tackles harsh and their fouls frequent. Despite their rough play, we stood our ground, determined not to be intimidated.

About twenty minutes into the match, Germany launched a swift counter-attack. Their striker broke through our midfield with alarming speed, leaving only me between her and our goal. My heart raced as I sprinted towards her, closing the distance as fast as I could.

Just as the German player wound up to shoot, I timed my slide perfectly. My foot connected with the ball, sending it safely away. The player tumbled to the ground, but I knew it was a clean challenge. The crowd's roar confirmed it. However, before I could even get up, the German players surrounded me, their faces twisted in anger.

One of them shoved me hard, nearly knocking me off balance. I straightened up, trying to maintain my composure, but they continued to push and shout in German. I clenched my fists, forcing myself to stay calm and not retaliate.

"Back off," I muttered, hoping they'd get the message. But they didn't stop. The shoving continued, and my patience wore thin.

Finally, one of them pushed me again, harder this time. That was it. I pushed back, sending her stumbling. "Enough!" I shouted, my voice cutting through the noise.

The referee's whistle blew sharply, and both teams rushed over, trying to defuse the situation before it escalated further. Leah was by my side in an instant, placing a firm hand on my shoulder. "Maddie, keep your cool," she whispered urgently.

The referee stepped in, separating us and issuing stern warnings to both sides. But I was furious. "You need to control them!" I yelled at the ref. "They're playing dirty, and you're letting it happen!"

The referee's eyes narrowed, and she held up a finger in warning. "Calm down, McCabe. One more outburst and you're booked."

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart. The last thing we needed was a player sent off in such a crucial match. The game resumed, but the tension was thicker than ever. Germany continued their aggressive tactics, and we had to be constantly vigilant. Despite their dirty play, we held our own, fighting back with skill and determination.

As halftime approached, the score remained 0-0. Both teams had their chances, but the defenses were resolute. The break couldn't come soon enough; we needed a moment to regroup and refocus.

As we headed to the locker room, the adrenaline still coursing through my veins, I couldn't help but feel a surge of pride. We were standing up to Germany's tactics, and I knew we had what it took to win this. The second half awaited, and we were ready to give it our all.

As we filed into the locker room at halftime, the tension was thick. Everyone was breathing heavily, sweat dripping down our faces. Despite the 0-0 scoreline, we knew the game was far from over. The German team's dirty tactics had rattled us, but we were determined to stay strong.

Sarina Wiegman gathered us around, her eyes scanning the room with a mixture of intensity and calm. She waited for everyone to settle before she began speaking.

"Listen up," she started, her voice steady and authoritative. "We knew coming into this match that Germany would be tough. They're physical, they're aggressive, but so are we. We've held our ground, and we've matched them play for play. I'm proud of how you've handled yourselves out there."