public

A few days later, we had a match. My game ban had been served during the previous match against Brighton, and now I was back, ready to face Man City, my former team. There was a certain electricity in the air, the kind that comes with playing against old teammates and proving yourself on the pitch.

As we walked out for the pre-match handshakes, I scanned the crowd. My eyes landed on someone familiar: Emily. I knew she was a Man City supporter, but she rarely attended games unless she had a specific reason. It was clear she wasn't there to see me. I shook off the thought, focusing on the game ahead.

The whistle blew, and we were off. The first half was intense, both teams fighting hard for control. I tried to keep my mind clear, but the sight of Emily kept creeping back in. I pushed the thought aside, determined to stay focused.

Near the end of the first half, I found myself in on goal, a perfect opportunity to score. Just as I was about to take the shot, I felt a hard shove from behind. Kerstin had pushed me, and I fell forward, hitting my head on the ground. Pain shot through my skull, and I instinctively held my hands to my head.

Then, I saw it: blood. It was dripping down from the cut on my head, the one that had just been healing. Panic started to rise within me. This was not good.

Leah was the first to reach me, her face pale with worry. "Maddie, stay still," she said, her voice firm yet gentle. She signaled to the medics, who rushed over quickly.

The referee blew the whistle to pause the game, and everything seemed to blur. The medics worked swiftly, trying to stop the bleeding and assess the damage. I could see concern etched on Leah's face, and Katie hovered nearby, her eyes wide with fear.

"Maddie, you need to go off," one of the medics said, his tone urgent. "We need to get this looked at properly."

I nodded, wincing at the pain. As they helped me to my feet, I glanced towards the stands and caught Emily's gaze. There was no hint of concern, just a cold, detached look. I looked away, focusing on Leah, who was right beside me, her arm around my waist, supporting me.

As I was led off the pitch, the crowd's noise faded into the background. All I could think about was the pain in my head and the blood on my hands. This was supposed to be my comeback, my moment to prove myself. But now, all I felt was vulnerability and fear.

Leah stayed with me the entire time, her presence a calming force. "You'll be okay, Maddie," she whispered, squeezing my hand. "We'll get through this."

I wanted to believe her, but the throbbing pain and the sight of blood made it hard to think clearly. I had to trust that I would recover, that I would come back stronger. But in that moment, all I could do was hold on and hope for the best.

Now that I was off the pitch, the medics had a chance to assess my injury properly. They worked quickly to stop the bleeding, their hands moving deftly and with precision. The sting of antiseptic was sharp, but I gritted my teeth and focused on my breathing.

The game continued in the background, a distant hum of cheers and shouts. Leah hovered nearby, her face etched with concern. "Just hang in there, Maddie," she murmured, squeezing my hand. "You're doing great."

Once the medics had cleaned the cut and wrapped a bandage tightly around my head, one of them looked at me seriously. "Maddie, we need to know if you're sure you can continue. You need to be honest with us."

I nodded, determination surging through me. "I can play. I want to play."

The medic hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "Alright, but if anything feels off, you come off immediately. Got it?"