please

The final whistle blew, and the echo of defeat settled over the stadium like a heavy fog. Germany had won. The realization hit hard, a gut-wrenching blow that left us all reeling. I sat alone in the changing room, my head in my hands, tears streaming down my face. The sting of my own actions, my red card, and the sense of letting my team down was almost unbearable.

The door creaked open, and I heard the footsteps of my teammates filing in, their silence louder than any words. No one said anything to me. The room was filled with the muted sounds of disappointment and exhaustion. I could feel their eyes on me, but I couldn't bear to look up. The weight of my guilt was too heavy.

I kept my head down, tears falling onto my clenched fists. I was so angry with myself, so filled with regret. I had let my emotions get the better of me, and it had cost us dearly.

After what felt like an eternity, the door opened again, and Sarina Wiegman walked in. She looked around at the team before her eyes settled on me. She approached slowly, her face a mixture of disappointment and compassion.

"Maddie," she began softly, kneeling down beside me. "Look at me."

I hesitated, then lifted my tear-streaked face to meet her gaze. The pain in her eyes mirrored my own.

"I know you're angry with yourself," she said gently. "And I understand why. But you need to remember that we win and lose as a team. This loss is not on you alone."

I shook my head, fresh tears spilling over. "I let everyone down, Sarina. I lost my head, and it cost us the game."

Sarina sighed, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Yes, you made a mistake. But we all make mistakes. What matters now is how we move forward. You're a crucial part of this team, Maddie. We need you to learn from this and come back stronger."

The team was listening in silence, their presence a heavy reminder of what we had lost. I glanced around, seeing their tired, somber faces. The weight of their unspoken disappointment hung in the air.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered, my voice cracking. "I'm so sorry I let you all down."

Leah stepped forward, breaking the silence. "Maddie, we're all hurting right now. But we don't blame you. We're a team, and we're in this together. We'll come back from this, stronger than ever."

The room was filled with a mix of nods and murmurs of agreement. Sarina gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze before standing up and addressing the team.

"We fought hard today, and we should be proud of that. We'll learn from this and come back even stronger. For now, let's support each other and look ahead to the future."

As Sarina spoke, I felt a glimmer of hope. The pain and guilt were still there, but so was the resolve to be better, to not let this defeat define me. My teammates' quiet support, their understanding, and Sarina's words began to mend the cracks in my spirit.

I wiped my tears, taking a deep breath. We had lost today, but we would rise again. Together.

Leah's pov:
As we walked back to the hotel, the air was thick with disappointment and exhaustion. Maddie's shoulders were slumped, her eyes downcast. I could feel the weight of her regret and frustration, and it pained me to see her like this. I wanted to comfort her, to do something to ease her mind, but I was at a loss.

When we returned to the hotel room, the air heavy with the weight of our defeat. Maddie sat on the edge of the bed, her face etched with disappointment. I could feel her anguish, and I wanted to do something, anything, to help her find a moment of relief.

"Maddie, is there anything I can do to help?" I asked softly, hoping to reach her through the haze of her sorrow.

She sighed, her shoulders slumping further. "I just need something to take my mind off it, Leah. Anything."