truth

It's strange, isn't it? One moment, the world believes you're gone, and the next, you're hiding in plain sight. I know it was wrong, and if you're reading this, you probably hate me. But I had my reasons.

I had to disappear. The pressure, the expectations, the constant scrutiny, it was all too much. After the car accident, everything changed. I wasn't just Maddie McCabe, the footballer, anymore. I was a symbol, a story, a headline. And I couldn't live up to it.

The comments, the insults, they got to me. I pretended they didn't, but they cut deep. And then there was Kerstin, Emily, all of it. It was a breaking point. So, I did what I had to do. I faked it. The pills, the ambulance, I had it all planned. I knew Leah would find me. I knew the paramedics would come. But they didn't know it was all an act.

Why? Because I needed out. I needed to escape.

I remember the hospital. I remember hearing the doctor tell Leah and Katie that I didn't make it. I felt a part of me die with those words. But it was necessary. It was the only way to start over.

Leaving behind my family was the hardest part. Seeing their faces, the heartbreak, I still can't forgive myself for that. But in my mind, it was the only way to protect them. To protect myself.

So now, here I am, somewhere far away, living a life no one knows about. It's lonely, and it's painful. But it's also freeing. No more headlines, no more pressure. Just me.

I hope one day they'll forgive me. I hope they'll understand why I did it. For now, this is my story, my truth. And maybe, just maybe, it will set me free.

I sat on the terrace of my new villa, the sun setting in a blaze of orange and pink over the ocean. The waves crashing against the shore created a soothing rhythm, a stark contrast to the chaos of my old life. Here, I was just Maddie, no last names, no expectations, no past to haunt me. Just me and the peace I had desperately needed.

The TV inside was always on, a habit I couldn't break. It made me feel connected, less alone in this remote paradise. But today, the sound that floated through the open door caught my attention in a way it hadn't before. My name, clear and unmistakable, echoed through the room.

"Maddie McCabe Remembered: A Legacy of Passion and Talent."

I set my coffee down, my heart thudding painfully as I stood and moved closer to the screen. There I was, scoring goals, celebrating with my teammates, that unforgettable bicycle kick that had left the stadium in stunned silence. The commentators spoke with voices heavy with sorrow and reverence, weaving the story of my life and the supposed tragedy that had cut it short.

The screen faded to black, displaying the words "In memory of Maddie McCabe, 2005-2024," and I felt a pang of guilt twist in my gut. They didn't know the truth. How could they? The pain, the desperation, the endless spiral that led me to stage my own death and flee, none of it was visible in the carefully curated highlights of my career.

I leaned against the doorframe, a bitter smile tugging at my lips. It was strange, watching them mourn me, talk about my legacy, while I stood here, very much alive. It felt like a twisted joke, one that only I knew the punchline to.

Freedom had come at a high price, and as I watched the tribute to my former self, I wondered if it had been worth it. The isolation, the lies, the distance from everything and everyone I once knew, it was all part of the escape plan. But the guilt and the loneliness were unexpected, heavier than any burden I had carried before.

I turned off the TV, the silence suddenly deafening. I walked back to the terrace, the setting sun casting long shadows. I wrapped my arms around myself, feeling the cool breeze and the weight of my choices. Here, in this villa on an island far away from my past, I was free. But freedom, I was learning, was its own kind of prison.

I remember the day I left my old life behind. It felt like shedding a skin that had grown too tight, too restrictive. I threw my old phone away, watched as it sank into the murky depths of the river, taking with it every contact, every reminder of who I used to be. I had a new phone now, with no numbers saved, no connections to the world I left behind. It was clean, empty, a blank slate just like my new life.

Using all the money I had saved over the years, I bought this villa. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth every penny to have a place where no one knew me, where I could be anyone, or no one at all. I still had some money left for essentials, enough to get by comfortably for a while. The villa was perfect, a secluded paradise far from the prying eyes and suffocating expectations of my former world.

The villa itself was a dream. It sat on a cliff overlooking the ocean, surrounded by lush greenery. Inside, it was simple but beautiful, white walls, wooden floors, large windows that let in the sunlight. I had decorated it sparsely, just a few pieces of furniture and some art on the walls. It was enough. More than enough.

The first few days here were surreal. I spent hours just sitting on the terrace, watching the waves crash against the shore, feeling the freedom in my bones. I could breathe here, really breathe, without the weight of my past pressing down on me. It was like waking up from a long, oppressive dream.

But as the days turned into weeks, the reality of my isolation began to set in. There was no one to talk to, no one to share the beauty of this place with. My only companions were the seagulls and the occasional stray cat that wandered by. I missed the noise, the laughter, the camaraderie of my teammates. I missed Leah's touch, Katie's jokes, even the adrenaline rush of a tough match.

I kept myself busy with little tasks, cooking, reading, swimming in the ocean. But at night, the silence was loud, and the darkness brought memories I couldn't escape. I thought about what Reiten had said, how close I had come to dying in that car accident, and I wondered if I had made the right choice. If this lonely freedom was really what I wanted.

Still, there was no going back. The old Maddie McCabe was dead. Here, I could be someone new. Someone without the baggage of the past. And maybe, just maybe, I could find a way to be happy again.

As I sit here, the sun dipping below the horizon, casting an orange glow over the ocean, I realize the enormity of what I've done. Faking my own death, it's the kind of thing you see in movies, not something you expect to do yourself. But it was the only way I could see to escape the relentless pressure, the unending scrutiny, the weight of expectations that had nearly crushed me.

To anyone reading this, know that I didn't make this decision lightly. Every step was planned, every detail meticulously thought out. Throwing away my old phone was symbolic, a final severance from the life I once knew. Getting a new phone with no contacts was necessary to ensure no one could trace me. I used my savings to buy this villa, a sanctuary where I could be alone, free from the past.

It hasn't been easy. There are days when I wonder if I made the right choice, if the isolation is worth the peace it brings. But then I remember the suffocating feeling of being trapped in a life that no longer felt like my own, and I know I did what I had to do.

I hope that in time, those I left behind will understand. That they will see this not as an act of cowardice, but as a desperate bid for freedom, for a chance to start over. I hope Leah, Katie, my family, and my friends find it in their hearts to forgive me.

For now, this is my reality. A new life on a distant island, far from the chaos of the world I once knew. I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that I have a chance to find myself again, to rediscover who I am without the weight of expectation.

This is my secret, my truth. I am Maddie McCabe, and I am trying to find my way in a world where no one knows my name.

To those who care, to those I left behind, please forgive me. This is goodbye for now. Maybe someday our paths will cross again, in another life, under different circumstances. But for now, this is the end of one story and the beginning of another.

Goodbye.